Tips for Newbies. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Keith Williams's Avatar
 
Name: E. Keith
Trailer: None at the moment :-(
Colorado
Posts: 432
Quote:
Here is how to shorten your chain

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh8...catalogId=10053
Good one, Roger, why didn't I think of that? I've a couple of those in my "stuff". I still don't see what's wrong with twisting the chains, except it could put undoe stress on a link if there was a problem. The main advantage to your link, is that you could customize the chain liength without having to twist them every time. I like it.

Keith
__________________

__________________
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Jane P.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Posts: 412
Thumbs up

Quote:
Good one, Roger, why didn't I think of that? I've a couple of those in my "stuff". I still don't see what's wrong with twisting the chains, except it could put undoe stress on a link if there was a problem. The main advantage to your link, is that you could customize the chain liength without having to twist them every time. I like it.

Keith
Roger & Keith:
I still don't understand why twisting the chains is problematic.

Very curious to learn more.

JMP
__________________

__________________
'92 Bigfoot 19' | '07 Chevy Tahoe
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Chester Taje's Avatar
 
Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Posts: 4,897
From my experiance in coal mining, when a chain is being used to pull and its twisted you develope a weak link or links and it losses its strength real fast. It can break when you need it the most.
__________________
Retired Underground Coal Miner.
Served in Canadian Army (1PPCLI)
Chester Taje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Roger C H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Posts: 2,172
Registry
Lightbulb Water hookup cautions

At our last campout at a RV park which will remain nameless, I drew some water into a 1/2 gal juice bottle and observed what I initially thought were several pieces of bark in the water. Upon closer inspection, I discovered they were bugs!!!

They were springtails or some such apparently in the spigot for the water. How many times did I just hook up to shore water without checking? I shudder to think.

In the future, I will ALWAYS run the water and sanitize the spigot.
__________________
A charter member of the Buffalo Plaid Brigade!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
melissab's Avatar
 
Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Posts: 1,372
I'm wondering if this is ok for shortening chains in a pinch. We used those large plastic zip ties through the links on our popup camper. That way if we did accidentally turned a little short (especially when learning to back) the zip ties would pop and I'd have the extra chain length needed to complete the manuver. Having only used the popup 3 times before selling we were not exactly sure how much chain we really needed so didnt want to permanently shorten them till we knew. I'm just wondering if this was an ok thing to do and if we could do it on our Egg until we figure out how long we need the chains then get the quick link from Home Depot Roger linked to. Zip ties area dime a dozen and you know if you pop them your chain needs to be let out more.
__________________
Melissa in Florida
2016 Honda Odyssey
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Chester Taje's Avatar
 
Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Posts: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
At our last campout at a RV park which will remain nameless, I drew some water into a 1/2 gal juice bottle and observed what I initially thought were several pieces of bark in the water. Upon closer inspection, I discovered they were bugs!!!

They were springtails or some such apparently in the spigot for the water. How many times did I just hook up to shore water without checking? I shudder to think.

In the future, I will ALWAYS run the water and sanitize the spigot.
I allways run water for a few seconds before attaching the hose.
__________________
Retired Underground Coal Miner.
Served in Canadian Army (1PPCLI)
Chester Taje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:26 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Bill and Jacquie G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Bill and Jacquie G.
Trailer: Trillium 1978 13 ft
Oregon
Posts: 127
Registry
When backing your tow rig and trailer, place your hand on the LOWER part of the steering wheel AND PUSH IN THE DIRECTION YOU WANT THE TRAILER TO GO !!!

Try it; you'll like it! Nice and easy.

(The Lower part of the steering wheel in the direction you want the TRAILER to go)
__________________
Bill and Jacquie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:03 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Bill and Jacquie G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Bill and Jacquie G.
Trailer: Trillium 1978 13 ft
Oregon
Posts: 127
Registry
If you are having someone help guide you into your site, please step out and tell them
" NO YELLING!!! "
They must stand about 2'-3' out from the DRIVERS side of the TRAILER so they can look forward see the driver in the outside rear view mirror. MOST Important, the driver can also see them! (if the driver backs over the guide, it is considered poor form. STAY PUT! so you can be seen. Thank You!!!!! )

HAND Signals: Arms down by your sides. If the driver needs to adjust the trailers direction,lift the appropriate arm slowly, extend and close the arm at the elbow in the direction you want them to go. If you want them to stop, agree ahead of time that you will show a CLENCHED FIST to signal STOP !!!!!!!!
ALWAYS be where you can see the rear view mirror. GOOD JOB !!!!!!!!!

PS: If the driver or the guide lose their cool, start waving their arms, jumping around and making odd sounds; everyone in the campground will grab their cameras and record what appears to be your impression of two flamingos mating. We've seen it before. Good Luck!!
__________________
Bill and Jacquie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:06 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Posts: 699
Registry
When I was first learning to back up I found it better not to have a guide, (if I had plenty of time, that is). I feel that I learned more by getting out of the tow vehicle several times and walking around the camper to actually see what was going on. Make a slight adjustment, get out and walk around, make another adjustment and again take a look. I told my wife only to warn me if I was in danger of something bad happening. I came upon this technique only after several attempts relying solely on her directions - which was a total disaster. Now that I have a little experience and understanding of how things operate, I am starting to rely on her directions a little more.
__________________
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
When I was first learning to back up I found it better not to have a guide, (if I had plenty of time, that is). I feel that I learned more by getting out of the tow vehicle several times and walking around the camper to actually see what was going on. Make a slight adjustment, get out and walk around, make another adjustment and again take a look. I told my wife only to warn me if I was in danger of something bad happening. I came upon this technique only after several attempts relying solely on her directions - which was a total disaster. Now that I have a little experience and understanding of how things operate, I am starting to rely on her directions a little more.
LOL could not agree more! My worst back up jobs are usually when someone is directing me! Never understand some of the funny hand waving etc. Funny enough if on my own I usually get it bang on or pretty close the first try.
__________________
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Steve Hilby's Avatar
 
Trailer: Compact Jr
Posts: 259
My sister said I could watch her back into our spot at the Oregon Gathering, as long as I didn't give her any advice.



...not giving advice is harder than it sounds.
__________________
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #26
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool Standardized OSHA approved Hand Signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Jacquie G. View Post
They must stand about 2'-3' out from the DRIVERS side of the TRAILER so they can look forward see the driver in the outside rear view mirror. MOST Important, the driver can also see them! (if the driver backs over the guide, it is considered poor form. STAY PUT! so you can be seen. Thank You!!!!! )

HAND Signals: Arms down by your sides. If the driver needs to adjust the trailers direction,lift the appropriate arm slowly, extend and close the arm at the elbow in the direction you want them to go. If you want them to stop, agree ahead of time that you will show a CLENCHED FIST to signal STOP !!!!!!!!
ALWAYS be where you can see the rear view mirror. GOOD JOB !!!!!!!!!
These are the Hand Signals that I use regularly and understand:
Keep in mind that Signaler and Driver must keep eye contact during the whole maneuver.
1. All Clear and Ready! 
Name:   CRANE-400_150.gif
Views: 261
Size:  2.4 KB

2. Back-up straight 
Name:   CRANE-432_150.gif
Views: 259
Size:  2.8 KB
("forward" from the signaler's point of view)

3. Go Left 
Name:   CRANE-433_150.gif
Views: 260
Size:  2.4 KB

4. Go Right 
Name:   CRANE-437_150.gif
Views: 258
Size:  2.4 KB

5. Stop! 
Name:   CRANE-418_150.gif
Views: 260
Size:  2.4 KB

6. Pull Forward 
Name:   CRANE-436_150.gif
Views: 257
Size:  2.4 KB
("rearward" from the signaler's point of view)

7. Slow Down 
Name:   CRANE-439_150.gif
Views: 254
Size:  2.5 KB

8. This Far to the End 
Name:   CRANE-462_150.gif
Views: 256
Size:  2.6 KB

9. We're Done! 
Name:   CRANE-455_150.gif
Views: 255
Size:  2.7 KB
__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:06 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Mark Shaffer's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2004 Jayco Talon toyhauler/ 1985 Burro 13 custom.
Posts: 314
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
These are the Hand Signals that I use regularly and understand:

1. All Clear and Ready! Attachment 30600

2. Back-up straight Attachment 30601("forward" from the signaler's point of view)

3. Go Left Attachment 30602

4. Go Right Attachment 30603

5. Stop! Attachment 30604

6. Pull Forward Attachment 30605("rearward" from the signaler's point of view)

7. Slow Down Attachment 30606

8. This Far to the End Attachment 30607

9. We're Done! Attachment 30608

My luck if I used these signals I would have planes landing!
__________________
Mark Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #28
Member
 
John and Jaci's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: 1972 Boler American ('The USS NeverSail')
Tennessee
Posts: 82
Registry
Only problem with hand signals is when attempting to park at night they are not necessarly easy to see. What works well for us (did this with a 25 ft 5th wheel stickie) is a pair of walkie talkies. The person directing is well behind the trailer. That person is only giving directions for the trailer. If you wish the back of the trailer to go left say "back left" if you want the front of the trailer to go left its "front left" etc. If you need the driver to stop calmly say stop. Yelling doesn't make them stop any faster. The driver can see all four corners of the tow vehicle so they do not need directions for it, just the trailer. This has worked well for us and usually other campers who watch us have come over to comment how well our process works. We learned this was the best route for us as we practiced backing our large trailer up our narrow driveway to park about 4 inches from the side of the house. Never had a close call or problem when using this method.
__________________

__________________
John and Jaci | Our furry friends Chief and Scampy
1972 Boler American - The USS NeverSail | 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
John and Jaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So many confusing choices for newbies Frank G. Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 21 03-16-2007 01:15 AM
OREGON 2006: Disaster Avoidance for Newbies Frederick L. Simson Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 0 06-27-2006 05:51 PM
Insurance Primer for Newbies Needed Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 23 06-24-2003 02:54 PM
Tips for NEWBIES Legacy Posts General Chat 22 05-27-2003 11:13 AM
Newbies Saying "Hello!" General Chat 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.