Tips for Newbies. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-20-2010, 05:21 AM   #29
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
As a person who tows and travels alone most of the time, I believe it's important to be able to park without help. You may find yourself in a position where you absolutely must backup and park the trailer and there's no one around to help. Being self-sufficient can be paramount. If I'm needing to back into a place I'm not familiar with, I just get out and check out the site. Looking for obstacles, etc. Slow movements on the steering wheel and slow speed in reverse, plus practice and you'll find backing and parking not problematic.

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #30
Name: Bill and Jacquie G.
Trailer: Trillium 1978 13 ft
When backing and the trailer is beginning to "jack-knife", stop. Then slowly pull foreword just a few feet. The tug and the trailer will be straight-as-an-arrow and you can try again --------- " Slow movements on the steering wheel and slow speed in reverse, plus practice and you'll find backing and parking not problematic". One more time, Nice - n - Easy.

Bill and Jacquie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #31
Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Roger, If that was a WA campground sure wish you'd name it...........
"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." -- Lao Tzu

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #32
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
I also find that if I get confused about where I am steering the trailer, then I stop, and straighten out my steering wheel so the tires are straight. Don't know why it helps, but it does. I also do the 'hand on the bottom of the steering wheel' technique that was mentioned earlier.
I'm not a good backerupper, but I can keep it out of the firepit!! And sometimes those 'surprise' parking spots that you settle for when you give up jockying around the trailer turn out to be just as good as the one you were aiming for!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #33
Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
I pull forward to straighten out the wheels a LOT! Also get out and look where I want to go for myself often because DH's signals confuse me!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:03 PM   #34
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Originally Posted by Bill and Jacquie G. View Post
PS: If the driver or the guide lose their cool, start waving their arms, jumping around and making odd sounds; everyone in the campground will grab their cameras and record what appears to be your impression of two flamingos mating. We've seen it before. Good Luck!!
Shhhhhh, don't blow the nightly free entertainment! LOL........... That was the best part of check in time, unfortunately for us we didn't have a lot of back in's, but the ones we did have provided a lot of entertainment over the years.................... Actually about 50 percent of the people would ask my Dh to back them in. Or ask me to guide them, they would attempt to avoid a fight with their spouse. But then they would get out of the truck and look at their spouses and say, why can't you guide me in like she did. LOL........ The fight would be on!

Ok, now for my newbie suggestion/suggestions.

Backing into a campsite at night in the pitch dark forested campground, for the first time, I knew I would be all over the place if I just went for it so like the others I got out and with a flash light I checked out the site. Then I took a little yellow lantern we have and I put it down on the ground where I wanted the drivers side trailer tire to be, or as close as I could get it Then I backed in to the lantern! Success! First try! And in the morning when I could actually see what the site was really all about, I was surprised that I had stuck the trailer in the perfect spot and no adjustment was needed for a week stay.
I have now purchased a little foldable emergency light up triangle that can be used for two purposes. Emergency roadside marker as well as a backup marker for those late night pull in's.

I second Greg's suggestion! Get out and camp and enjoy!

Newbie suggestion #2, Before plugging into the electrical, turn off breakers! It takes 1 second to turn off the breaker and turn it back on after you have securely placed your plug into the box.

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote