Tire Problem - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2006, 07:20 PM   #21

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Did I fix the problem with tire wear on my camper? Only sort of.

The problem was resolved by replacing the tires, and more closely watching tire pressure. Since the first set of tires lasted 5 years, I'm not going to get too worried about the $20 per year cost of a set of tires. I spend more than twice that much money on gas for one weekend camping!

The next time I buy tires, I'm buying at least one size larger - specifically I'll be buying ST185-80R13 load range C tires. This will give me an additional margin for uneven wheel loads, and under-inflated tires, and should not affect clearance in the wheel well enough to worry about.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Dave and Sharon...one question...were the tires brand new when you bought the trailer? If not, it's possible you were running at least the one side under inflated.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:16 AM   #23

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
Low tire pressure could have been the problem. I have not been able to do much checking of the problem because we have had snow on the ground and it snowing now.
But I will
1) Install new tires (balanced)
2) Check for loose wheel bearings
3) try to check wheel alignment
4) check for any damage

Winter flyfishing lakes open Dec 1 and hope to do some traveling then if the snow is gone.

Thanks the Grateful Angler
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:22 AM   #24

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Speaking of tire balancing, most trailer wheels are LUG-centric, whereas most automotive wheels are HUB-centric, so many tire places can't balance them properly because they don't have the lug-centric adapter for their balancing machine -- WalMart, for example, usually doesn't have the adapter (they know they can't balance the wheel, but they don't know why). Be sure the tire place knows the difference or you may wind up taking a properly balanced wheel and unbalancing it...

If the balance guy is using a tapered cone in the center hole, it's hub-centric; if he's putting studs thru the lug holes, it's lug-centric.

If your wheel's center hole fits very snugly around the hub shoulder, it's hub centric, but if there is a gap, it's lug-centric -- Doesn't seem like it should make much difference, but apparently the center holes can be less centered than one might expect.

BTW, six-lug Toyota wheels are also lug-centric and even some Toyota dealers don't know the difference; also Lexus uses lug-centric wheels.

I learned the above from a couple of Four-Wheel groups.

Haweka Adapter
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:03 AM   #25

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I remember the days .....

It used to be that all wheels were balanced on the vehicle. This took into consideration the imbalances of the drum as well as the wheel and tire.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:26 PM   #26

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
I remember the days .....

It used to be that all wheels were balanced on the vehicle. This took into consideration the imbalances of the drum as well as the wheel and tire.
I remember this too, and it make some sense, but it means a re-balancing every time the tires are moved (such as for seasonal changes or tire rotations). I'm glad I don't have to balance eight tires a year for each car (4 summers each spring plus four snows each fall), and I think the current system works because current hub and brake hardware is well balanced, so it's primarily the wheel and tire which need to be corrected.

I don't know if current trailer hub/drums - or the two or three decade old stuff on many trailers - is so well balanced.

In any case, the method should still be valid, but I would not expect to find a shop with the hardware. I also don't know if the on-vehicle balancers did a full dynamic balance; they spin the wheel so they're a "dynamic" method, but they may be looking at only vertical oscillations (like a static "bubble" balancer, but by a different method).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:30 PM   #27

Trailer: 1978 UNIK
Registry
Hi Normand, No parle Francais, Excuse moi! But your English looks great. I see you're in Quebec. Maybe you can help. We bought a 1978 UNIK travel trailer. It was built in St. Jermone, Quebec. We haven't been able to find one other person on Earth who has one or has even heard of one! How about you? I'll send along some pics. The factory was on 50 rue La Flamme, St. Jerome, Quebec. La Flamme, huh, sounds like the factory maybe went up in a fire! Any information will be appreciated. Merci. Terry in Texas

<http://new.photos.yahoo.com/sallywagin@sbcglobal.net/album>

look in the "1978 UNIK-before and after" album

Quote:
This is what says the manufacturer (Trillium) about axle replacement:

"Any good welding shop can cut the old axle off and weld the new one on. This is not a complicated job. [b]It can be accomplished in 1 to 1 ¾ hours, depending on the skill & equipment of the shop."

A total cost of 200$ for an 1 3/4 hour job would mean an hourly rate of 115$!

At 300$ you are paying 175$ an hour!!!!

Unless you ask for a lawyer-welder you should pay something between 60$ to 105 $ for installation. That means a generous 60$/hour rate.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:32 AM   #28

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
Quote:
Hi Normand, No parle Francais, Excuse moi! But your English looks great. I see you're in Quebec. Maybe you can help. We bought a 1978 UNIK travel trailer. It was built in St. Jermone, Quebec. We haven't been able to find one other person on Earth who has one or has even heard of one!
Hi Terry

You will find right here http://www.lespac.com/search/index.php?PHP...R14=0&R17=0
3 full pages of Unik trailers for sale in Quebec right now some fiberglass some not. The factory seems to have disappeared but I will check if someone heard about it. There is even a 1977-18 feet model, recently repaint for 5,000 CDN$. Looks in very good shape. It is a fiberglass model who seems to be exactly like yours.

By the way, you have done a very good restauration job!
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote