Tire Problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2006, 10:42 AM   #1

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
Thanks to Northern Oregon Group we were able to see and talk to alot of fiber owners.
Dave and Sharon Tharp just bought a 2000 16 Scamp SD Deluxe in southern CA.
We spent 2 week driving home to the Palouse ( eastern WA.)
Love the little trailer. We do seem to have a small problem.
We had sever inside tire wear on the right rear tire (had to put on spare).
Does anyone know if the axles can be aligned.
Thank you the Grateful anglers
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
Thanks to Northern Oregon Group we were able to see and talk to alot of fiber owners.
If your 16 has the same type of axle as most of the 13's then you can look at Dexter axles site and see the internal components. I was talking to an axle shop recently and was told that the manufacturer's freeze the rubber rods(4 pcs.) with liquid nitrogen so they shrink enough to be inserted into the axle tube along with a square bar attached to the wheel hub. When the rubber returns to room temperature they increase in size and hold the square bar tightly inside the axle tube,but lightly enough to provide some suspension movement. As the rubber ages, and particularly if the trailer is used on rough terrain in freezing temperatures, the rubber rods break down and this allows the wheel to run out of alignment. If the rubber is worn you might be able to move the hub up and down when the trailer is jacked up until the wheel is off the ground. The fix is a new axle. I have noticed axle prices of US$250-300 on this site, but was quoted Can$560.00 yesterday for a Trillium 1300 axle with 10" brakes and estimated $300.00 labour to install. I was given the option of 7" brakes(drum diameter) but was told they weren't very effective. Hope this helps
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hi: Are you sure its the axle or is it wheel berrings???Replace or re pack??? Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:03 PM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I'm a little confused... is it the curbside trailer tire, or the right rear on your tow vehicle?

I believe that torsion axles can be aligned; a good alignment and axle shop ought to be able to tell you for sure what's going on with your trailer. A 2000 Scamp shouldn't need a new axle unless the axle has been damaged in some way. There are lots of things that cause tire wear that may or may not be related to alignment.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2003 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe and 1989 Bigfoot 5th Wheel

You can align trailer axles. I took my 5th wheel to an alignment shop in Grandjunction ,Co

and had the alignment done.

I also found out that not all alignment shops will do trailers. I got the name from a company that sells trailers.

Harv in Colo.
Harvey Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:28 PM   #6

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

Bill-I was quoted a price of about $300 for an axle with brakes straight from a Dexter dealer. I checked around and was told that it would be about $200 for installation at a trailer shop. RV shops are usually much higher priced. I am lucky because I could do the installation myself.
If you have 13" wheels, do the 10" brakes fit???
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 01:35 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I agree with Roger; something is bent rather than than the rubber being aged (lots of these axles go 20 years and more) -- Find a good frame and axle shop in yellow pages and give them a call.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:46 AM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
This is what says the manufacturer (Trillium) about axle replacement:

"Any good welding shop can cut the old axle off and weld the new one on. This is not a complicated job. It can be accomplished in 1 to 1 ¾ hours, depending on the skill & equipment of the shop."

A total cost of 200$ for an 1 3/4 hour job would mean an hourly rate of 115$!

At 300$ you are paying 175$ an hour!!!!

Unless you ask for a lawyer-welder you should pay something between 60$ to 105 $ for installation. That means a generous 60$/hour rate.
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:13 AM   #9

Quote:

Bill-I was quoted a price of about $300 for an axle with brakes straight from a Dexter dealer. I checked around and was told that it would be about $200 for installation at a trailer shop. RV shops are usually much higher priced. I am lucky because I could do the installation myself.
If you have 13" wheels, do the 10" brakes fit???
I got that price from a local axle manufacturer that only makes leaf spring axles. He said he could get the kind i need with dexter brakes from another local manufacturer. Guess I'm going to have to look for a Dexter dealer in hopes of getting a better price. I looked at installation and like you I can probably do it in my own garage. I had two 13' Trilliums last summer with 13" wheels, one with 10" brakes and the other with none. The one that had none was 3 months newer but didn't have a furnace(Brakes based on additional weight?). I am working on a 4500 right now and it has 13" wheels and no brakes, but it appears to have been wired for brakes at the factory and the axle has the square plates that hold the backing plates. I was really surprised to find no brakes on the 4500. In case I didn't already mention this I was advised against using the 7" or 7 1/4" brakes and I know from experience that the 10" are far superior. I am going to look at installing 14" wheels on the 4500. Don't know if there is going to be room. It might be possible to add riser blocks or change the angle on the axle when doing the change. I want to add overhead storage cabinets, a front dinette, and grey water tank that we have become accustomed to in our 13.5 Bigfoot which will add more weight. The 13" tires in my opinion would be too close to the load limit to suit me.
Bill
Old 11-24-2006, 03:52 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
I got that price from a local axle manufacturer that only makes leaf spring axles. He said he could get the kind i need with dexter brakes from another local manufacturer. Guess I'm going to have to look for a Dexter dealer in hopes of getting a better price. I looked at installation and like you I can probably do it in my own garage. I had two 13' Trilliums last summer with 13" wheels, one with 10" brakes and the other with none. The one that had none was 3 months newer but didn't have a furnace(Brakes based on additional weight?). I am working on a 4500 right now and it has 13" wheels and no brakes, but it appears to have been wired for brakes at the factory and the axle has the square plates that hold the backing plates. I was really surprised to find no brakes on the 4500. In case I didn't already mention this I was advised against using the 7" or 7 1/4" brakes and I know from experience that the 10" are far superior. I am going to look at installing 14" wheels on the 4500. Don't know if there is going to be room. It might be possible to add riser blocks or change the angle on the axle when doing the change. I want to add overhead storage cabinets, a front dinette, and grey water tank that we have become accustomed to in our 13.5 Bigfoot which will add more weight. The 13" tires in my opinion would be too close to the load limit to suit me.
Bill
Hi: Traction Heavy Duty Parts...Div. of U.A.P deals in Dexter parts... I found this out while shopping in their St Thomas Ont. branch...for L.E.D. exterior lights for our Boler Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 11-24-2006, 05:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi: Traction Heavy Duty Parts...Div. of U.A.P deals in Dexter parts... I found this out while shopping in their St Thomas Ont. branch...for L.E.D. exterior lights for our Boler Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
I didn't find one of their stores close by, but Dexter points to www.cerka.ca in Milton which isn't too far away. They also list the led lights you mentioned. Princess Auto in Barrie or Mississauga also carry them. They had the standard 2" x 4" side markers with 10 diodes and they also had a cheaper oval 2" x 4" marker with only 6 diodes. I want to go back at night and test both kinds to see how bright they are before buying a set. Have you installed any yet, and if so are they bright enough?
Bill
Old 11-24-2006, 05:33 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
I didn't find one of their stores close by, but Dexter points to www.cerka.ca in Milton which isn't too far away. They also list the led lights you mentioned. Princess Auto in Barrie or Mississauga also carry them. They had the standard 2" x 4" side markers with 10 diodes and they also had a cheaper oval 2" x 4" marker with only 6 diodes. I want to go back at night and test both kinds to see how bright they are before buying a set. Have you installed any yet, and if so are they bright enough?
Bill
Hi: Whoa...I used amber/red 13 diode markers as they covered the old paint spots where the prev. owner masked around the markers and for the rear lights I installed 10 diode 4" round stop brake /tails with s/s flanges and new pigtails under the old top hat lenses for a retro look... All L.E.D.s are Super Novas by Grote Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 11-24-2006, 05:37 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Bill
Hi: again...After I did our Boler my Bro. wanted his done too...so don't get too good at it!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 11-24-2006, 07:56 PM   #14

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Cerka is where I had my axle made for my Trillium 5500

Ask for Joe.

Good people to deal with.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Cerka is where I had my axle made for my Trillium 5500

Ask for Joe.

Good people to deal with.

Joe
Did you get Cerka to install the axle?
Bill
Old 11-25-2006, 07:03 PM   #16

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I've got a similar problem on my 2000 Scamp 16 side dinette. On the curb side tire, the outside wears faster than the inside, and on the street side tire, the inside wears faster than the outside. I attribute this to a very slight lean to the curb side that is probably caused by a larger load on the curb side of the trailer.

- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:49 PM   #17

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Quote:
First off congratulations. Good to see you on the forum. Even better to hear about your new egg. This is the place for answers. I am at sea hauling barges of Lumber from WASH to Calif. I will check in with you when spring gets closer and may connect for a Red side or to on the Saint Joe.
Good Luck Taylor the Sailor
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:25 AM   #18

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
since my axle was a bolt on with leaf springs, I did it myself.
I can't remember if they offerred to do it or not.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:54 AM   #19

Quote:
First off congratulations. Good to see you on the forum. Even better to hear about your new egg. This is the place for answers. I am at sea hauling barges of Lumber from WASH to Calif. I will check in with you when spring gets closer and may connect for a Red side or to on the Saint Joe.
Good Luck Taylor the Sailor
Taylor the St Joe is our home waters !
Hope to see you on the water.
Tight lines and loose minds.
Dave
Old 11-26-2006, 11:59 AM   #20

Quote:
I've got a similar problem on my 2000 Scamp 16 side dinette. On the curb side tire, the outside wears faster than the inside, and on the street side tire, the inside wears faster than the outside. I attribute this to a very slight lean to the curb side that is probably caused by a larger load on the curb side of the trailer.

- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer have been able to do sometihing to fix the problem?
Love the Scamp but worry able the tires.
I like what Donna D Did new axle with 15 inch tires.
May have to get the info from her she was a big influnce in us buying a Scamp.
Thanks Dave Tharp