tired of crawling over partner, any suggestions? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 11:20 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 13 ft 1984
tired of crawling over partner, any suggestions?

We love our '84 Burro 15' wide body ballroom version and will probably never sell it as it is a lifted boondocking machine, goes anywhere my Tundra goes, but we are looking to add a bigger FGRV for road trips and more "civilized" camping. As we get older, one of our biggest issues is one of us having to crawl over the other (and the dogs) to get out of bed. So far the only options I have seen are the 21FT Escape and the 21FT Bigfoot. I understand that RVing is a progressive disease, but we are not at the 25FT nor the 5th wheel stage yet.
I have read the entire "bed size" sticky many times over the years, but it is more of a lay out issue than just size.
I have searched without luck for a relevant thread. Does any one have any other suggestions?
Thanks folks!
Will Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:52 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Fiberstream and Casita Liberty/Independence. Both give up a separate dinette for a longways twin/king layout. Don't know of anything other than the ones you mentioned that have a longways bed, dedicated dinette, and full bath under 20 feet. Stickies can often do that because they are typically wider and may include slide-outs.

We camped at Carlsbad back in May next door to a former Scamp 16 owner (from NM, incidentally) who sold it to buy a retro-style Whitewater 177 with a walk-around queen. Nice trailer, but 8' wide and lots of seams. He said his wife wanted it for the bed. Guess she was the one sleeping at the back…
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:26 PM   #3

Thanks Jon-
We are willing to go up to 21 ft and really only need a ˝ or Ľ bath. The fiberstream looks very cool, but are probably very rare as I have never seen one. We started with a 13Ft UHaul, and moved to the 15' Burro, but would hate to go to a stickie!
I am having trouble finding a floor plan of the Liberty that shows the long-ways bed layout, any body have one?
Old 07-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Dale View Post
So far the only options I have seen are the 21FT Escape and the 21FT Bigfoot. I understand that RVing is a progressive disease, but we are not at the 25FT nor the 5th wheel stage yet.
If a queen sized mattress is something you would like, neither the Escape 21 or the Bigfoot 21 are full queens. I am getting the 2017 Escape 5.0TA as soon as it is released, and am looking forward to the full queen in it. Your overall length pulling it is less than with the previous 2 as well.

Just curious as to why you say you are not ready to go with a 5th wheel yet?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #5

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
tired of crawling over partner, any suggestions?

Lil Snoozy also has a crawl-over full household-type queen mattress. (Watch video in link ..)
http://www.lilsnoozy.com

In the past, some Lil Snoozy trailers were built with two twin-sized mattress layouts but, if they do that at all today, I think it would be by special request.

Good luck! 😊

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
We use 2 beds in our old 17' Bigfoot. We don't mind putting them up and taking them down each night and morning. The dinette makes a 44" x 80" bed and the gaucho makes a 46" x 78" bed.

Dinette Bed Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket

http://s293.photobucket.com/user/tom...ml?sort=3&o=16
Old 07-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
sleeping pills for one or both?
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:06 PM   #8

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
My suggestion doesn't exactly get rid of the crawl over issue but makes it much easier and is a simple solution. We have a 13' Scamp and used to sleep side by side, head to head as in a regular bed. We found the shoulder to shoulder arrangement to be snug and difficult for me, the shorter one sleeping next to the back wall, to crawl over my husband. Now we sleep head to foot, with the same traditional comforter, and I find it MUCH EASIER to crawl out as I don't have far to go to crawl over my DH's feet. He finds it more comfortable for him too. Hope this helps.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If a queen sized mattress is something you would like, neither the Escape 21 or the Bigfoot 21 are full queens. I am getting the 2017 Escape 5.0TA as soon as it is released, and am looking forward to the full queen in it. Your overall length pulling it is less than with the previous 2 as well.

Just curious as to why you say you are not ready to go with a 5th wheel yet?
Thanks Jim- It is not the size that counts the most , although our Burro wide body has a very spacious Queen bed, it's the climbing over. When we were younger and didn't have to get up in the night it was less of an issue, as I am sure many can understand. As for the 5th wheel, having to climb up into the bed seems counter to what we are looking for, plus we would have to give up the bed of the truck. I guess we should look at one and see...
Old 07-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
My suggestion doesn't exactly get rid of the crawl over issue but makes it much easier and is a simple solution. We have a 13' Scamp and used to sleep side by side, head to head as in a regular bed. We found the shoulder to shoulder arrangement to be snug and difficult for me, the shorter one sleeping next to the back wall, to crawl over my husband. Now we sleep head to foot, with the same traditional comforter, and I find it MUCH EASIER to crawl out as I don't have far to go to crawl over my DH's feet. He finds it more comfortable for him too. Hope this helps.
Hi Gilda, I saw your solution in the bed size sticky, and may adopt it for sleeping in the Burro in the mean time, and it makes sense, both pull up your feet a bit and you are home free!
Thanks!
Old 07-19-2016, 09:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
sleeping pills for one or both?
I find that codeine and whisky only lasts to 3:00 or 4:00, and I still have to get up and pee...
Old 07-19-2016, 09:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
We use 2 beds in our old 17' Bigfoot. We don't mind putting them up and taking them down each night and morning. The dinette makes a 44" x 80" bed and the gaucho makes a 46" x 78" bed.

Dinette Bed Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket

Rear Gaucho Bed And Upper Bunk Bed Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
That actually looks really comfy,. Currently our Burro has a huge queen bed we leave set up, and the tiny bench bed in the front, so we often start up in two beds and end up in one, 'specially when it's cold. yours looks more equal.
Is the 17' bigfoot 17' body length or overall with hitch?
Old 07-19-2016, 11:41 PM   #13

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Why not get a trailer with twin beds?
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
Why not get a trailer with twin beds?
Not that great for snuggling on those cold nights.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:34 AM   #15

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
1980 Bigfoot is 17 feet long including hitch and rear bumper. Fiberglass "box" is 14 feet long. Our's is a 15B17G. For Bigfoot model names, the first 2 numbers indicate the series, either "15" or "25" for 1500 or 2500 series. The "B" is for Bigfoot. The second numbers are length in feet; 17, 19, 21, 25. The last letter is floor plan; gaucho (G), center bath (C, etc.

Lake Bardwell, TX Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
Old 07-20-2016, 05:36 AM   #16

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
As Jon mentioned, the Casita Independence 17 features lengthwise twin beds with little tables in-between. From the photos on the Casita website, it looks as though with the tables taken out, you can make the twins into one big bed with no crawling over to get out:

http://casitatraveltrailers.com/independence-17/

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:26 AM   #17

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
no crawl over bed...

six feet wide for the first 42"....40" wide the rest of the way...
Attached Thumbnails
FP.jpg   FP2.jpg  

adoneh.jpg   adoneja.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:52 AM   #18

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
details...

had to cut two inches off the table (bulkhead end) to make it fit between the kitchen and the fridge...

bedding consists of comforter bottom, two flat sheets, comforter top....all of it gets rolled up in a tight bundle and stuffed/stored in the overhead cabinet (center divider removed)
Attached Thumbnails
adonehc.jpg   adoneib.jpg  

bedmod.jpg   bedsto4.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:29 AM   #19

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Not that great for snuggling on those cold nights.
But that's not the answer to the original question...
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:43 AM   #20

Trailer: Boler
That's one reason I looked for my Eriba - a lengthwise bed in the back of the trailer.
I almost bought a Fiberstream but it was too heavy for the tow vehicle I had at the time. The Fiberstreams are nice trailers.

Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote