TIRES - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-05-2016, 02:42 PM   #15

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
This may (or may not) be off-topic, but I was wondering about the pros and cons of using Light Truck instead of ST (trailer) tires. I've read that STs have stronger sidewalls, which are better at resisting sway and carrying heavy loads. But while that might have been true for bias-ply STs, is it still true for radial ones?

At least one MFG manufacturer, namely Oliver—which is high-end in everything else—equips their trailers with LTs. Given all the stories about trailer-tire blowouts and failures, when the time comes (our OEM Goodyear Marathons are only three years old) I will want to know whether LTs are an option—as maybe might the OP.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"

Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass

Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern • WHRB-FM, 95.3 FM, Cambridge, MA • Streaming at WHRB.org
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #16

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Under the sea
Registry
Although I do have ST tires currently on my trailer, and even though they don't have a lot of mileage on them, (< 15 K,) they are coming up on their 6th, (and final,) birthday, so I'm going to change them at the beginning of next Spring's commissioning.

I have also been seriously thinking about going the LT tire route as well. My thought is that ST tires are designed for applications where side scuffing often occurs, but you don't get side scuffing with a single axle trailer. They would only experience scuffing when you have multiple axle trailers, during turns, since each axle doesn't exactly track in the other axles "footprint" during a turn.

Since there is only one axle on my Casita, I don't really know that ST's would necessarily be required. I do know from experience that LT tires are built pretty "bullet proof" and provide good service life in many "tire-abusive" environments. It'll be interesting to read what pops up on this thread. I believe that LT's are certainly made better and stronger than any ST tire for sure.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #17

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
This may (or may not) be off-topic, but I was wondering about the pros and cons of using Light Truck instead of ST (trailer) tires. I've read that STs have stronger sidewalls, which are better at resisting sway and carrying heavy loads. But while that might have been true for bias-ply STs, is it still true for radial ones?

At least one MFG manufacturer, namely Oliver—which is high-end in everything else—equips their trailers with LTs. Given all the stories about trailer-tire blowouts and failures, when the time comes (our OEM Goodyear Marathons are only three years old) I will want to know whether LTs are an option—as maybe might the OP.

/Mr Lynn
When I bought new tires last year, I considered LT tires but the smallest LT readily available is a LT235-75-15. It's just a little too big for my trailer. I had to use the slightly smaller ST225-75-15.

Oliver uses 16" wheels and they probably have larger wheel wells. This makes LT tires a viable option for Oliver. If an LT tire would fit my trailer and the weight capacity of the LT tire was adequate for my trailer weight, I would consider using the LT.

Oliver also puts shock absorbers on their trailers. Obviously they have a set up that works. 16 inch wheels and LT tires are more expensive too. I wish I had an Oliver!
Old 09-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post

I have also been seriously thinking about going the LT tire route as well. .
Way to go Greg! lets take the trailer tire debate full circle as it always goes and not only debate the various brands but the application of ST vs LT tires

Another topic your never going to get any clarity as to what the majority of folks do!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:01 PM   #19

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I made my way to Walmart today to look at their mounted 13. The Carlisle on this particular wheel is made in China. That's one of the first things that stood out. Not that that's a deal breaker, but some have mentioned getting tires made in the US.I googled the 3 main tire manufacturers and they're all potentially made in the US or China...and Taiwan...and Korea...well..you get the picture.

I have a link to the tires I was looking into at Discount Tire. To me, they sound a BIT pricey??

Havent heard of the "Hercules" Borrego! Interesting and sounds like a good tire. DT doesnt sell them.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/car...roductId=27234

One thing I will mention about ST tires is the stiffer sidewalls. It's suppose to help ward off trailer sway which doesnt appear to be a real issue on our FG trailers anyway.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:08 PM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I made my way to Walmart today to look at their mounted 13.
Is there are reason you are wishing to purchase mounted ones?
A word of warning all rims have a MAX PSI on them, many of the smaller rims are lower than what you may want to run if you should you purchase a different tire in the future. The rims max PSI is normally stamped into the rim on the inside.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:17 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I would put a LOT more effort into finding a tire dealer that treats me right rather than excessively worrying about which name brand tire I was buying. Hopefully the tire dealer would earn my trust my giving me as much honest information as they have about the tires, both those that they stock, and those which can be ordered by them or the customer.

I had some doubts about Discount Tire Co largely because of their name.. I did not want to scrimp or"cheap out" when it came time to buy tires. But I have now been a repeatedly repeat customer of Discount Tire Co. because they have in fact earned my business every time. They will negotiate prices, they will provide good service and sometimes for free, they have a good network, they will deal with any tires I bring to them, etc. If that changes, I would bail in a heartbeat, but at present I see no reason to go anywhere else.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:34 PM   #22

Tennessee
NO Carol!! I wasnt clear on that. I simply wanted to go look at the "tire" at Walmart. They dont have those unmounted. That's why I posted the link to DT.

FWIW, I had a battery installed one time at a Walmart and they literally left bolts out of braces on my Lumina!! (years ago). So I dont trust them personally.

But again, being Labor Day here in the states, we were off from work and Walmart was about the ONLY place open today to look at tires. DT and most other tire places here or near my town were closed for the holiday. So tomorrow is when the rubber meets the road! (oh man..did I just say that?? )

[QUOTE=Carol H;607552]Is there are reason you are wishing to purchase mounted ones?
Old 09-05-2016, 09:52 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Casita FD 17 - 2010 Audi Q5
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Plus one for Lyle and Dave and Gordon's experiences with established dealers vs. trying to divine a course of action from previous owners.

I guess it matters how much of the tire's load rating you are utilizing with your particular trailer. Off-roading might also be a factor for some.

But overall, in my two-year horizon, I expect aging-out to continue to precede 'death by tread wear'. So I'm not personally concerned with finding anything "special" as much as I am looking for something well-supported by a dealer network.

If I were to double my investment, I think I would put the money into a TPMS for the trailer. My tow vehicle recently posted me when an unpatched plug (from previous ownership) suddenly failed. I liked that.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:49 AM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Plus one for Lyle and Dave and Gordon's experiences with established dealers vs. trying to divine a course of action from previous owners.
Thanks for the comment Mike, I should have added that the first set I bought from him was in 1971. I've purchased many from DT also but I really trust the info and experience from the small tire shops that you have a history with.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:53 AM   #25

Tennessee
Marathons had a serious issue back a few years ago. If you'd called a dealer, I guarantee you they would have explained it away! But users were blowing them left and right as they say!

So, as I do anything in life, my personal preference is to talk to users that have experienced tires on the road where it counts- not in the showroom. Then I'll make the best conscientious decision I can and go with it.

I'll determine today what I'm buying. As of right now from DT.

Below is a photo of my tire's dry rot. It's smack in the middle of the sidewall where it's most dangerous. Lift up a small piece of the rubber and you can see "white" under...cords most likely.

Quote:

I guess it matters how much of the tire's load rating you are utilizing with your particular trailer. Off-roading might also be a factor for some.

But overall, in my two-year horizon, I expect aging-out to continue to precede 'death by tread wear'. So I'm not personally concerned with finding anything "special" as much as I am looking for something well-supported by a dealer network.

If I were to double my investment, I think I would put the money into a TPMS for the trailer. My tow vehicle recently posted me when an unpatched plug (from previous ownership) suddenly failed. I liked that.
Attached Thumbnails
DICO Tire  Dry Rot.jpg  
Old 09-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Casita FD 17 - 2010 Audi Q5
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Marathons had a serious issue back a few years ago. If you'd called a dealer, I guarantee you they would have explained it away! But users were blowing them left and right as they say!

So, as I do anything in life, my personal preference is to talk to users that have experienced tires on the road where it counts- not in the showroom. Then I'll make the best conscientious decision I can and go with it.

I'll determine today what I'm buying. As of right now from DT.

Below is a photo of my tire's dry rot. It's smack in the middle of the sidewall where it's most dangerous. Lift up a small piece of the rubber and you can see "white" under...cords most likely.
Dealers have financial motive to indicate all is good. Owners have an motivation to not appear at fault for their part in the equation.

I have an independent mechanic shop whose guy replaced the wrong front axle on our Passat. Apparently he looked at the car from the front and replaced the "right" axle, which was the driver's side and not the one intended for replacement. So, before I even came to pick up the car, the shop proceeded to replace the correct axle at no additional charge when the mistake was noted. They could have charged me for both and told me "yeah, we found the other one was bad too." There have been a couple of other events where I feel their integrity shone through.

I won't go on too long about the dealership that tried to sell me some $2,500 worth of catalytic converter replacement. I declined the repair, found a sensor wire disconnected, and cured the problem with a $35 purge valve. I figured a bad cat is usually a victim of other malfunctions, not a cause. One year later and all is still good. Dishonest? I cannot absolutely 100% say for sure, but I have not and will never go back there.

Sometimes it's a toss up and you just have to pick the devil you know.

But there is one thing that we can both agree on for sure. Looking at what you've got there, there is no doubt, and I can absolutely guarantee you, that your new tires are going to be a terrific improvement! And I do mean any new tires!
Old 09-06-2016, 08:47 AM   #27

Tennessee
Yessir...like choosing the lesser of the two evils!

Quote:
Sometimes it's a toss up and you just have to pick the devil you know.

But there is one thing that we can both agree on for sure. Looking at what you've got there, there is no doubt, and I can absolutely guarantee you, that your new tires are going to be a terrific improvement! And I do mean any new tires!
Old 09-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #28

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Dealers have financial motive to indicate all is good. ...
True.. in part. My point was that a dealer who puts long term customer satisfaction first and foremost is your best route to getting the best tires (or most anything else).

Dealers who always claim all is good will soon be shown to put their profits first, and that will lead to a loss of both customers and profits. When someone tells me "we carry that brand but there are better options," that speaks volumes. If I find evidence that a product the dealer carries is inferior but they won't admit it, then I go on to find someone that I can put more trust in.

So while many companies put short term profits first, the ones who put customers first usually do better in the long term.

Thats why I was surprised to find a "Discount" tire dealer that seemed to put customer satisfaction first.

Tags
tires