TIRES - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2016, 02:03 PM   #41

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Everybody is faster than me!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:15 PM   #42

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
[QUOTE=Darral T.;607708]Ok Gordy I surrender! I may be slow on jokes...but I've completely missed the "Delorean"!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

Those tires are meant to be mounted on a Delorean, not a travel trailer. You might get a discount if you buy a flux capacitor at the same time.
Time travel should really throw wrench into that date code replacement policy!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #43

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Time travel should really throw wrench into that date code replacement policy!
Yeah, I got really prompt service.

They said come back in two years for your free replacement tires!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:28 PM   #44

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
OK the joke didnt fly.
Sorry

My 5114 tires would have to be from Star Trek for the same (failed) humor.

Or, like I said, about 10 months old. I think 10 months is fair, two years is not.
Its a good thing to check when picking up a new camper - one could consider asking for newer ones if they are really old.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #45

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ok...I've basically narrowed my decision between two tire brands and they're at the opposite ends of the spectrum.
Gateway: Omni Trail 45 (date code 1616) $118 out the door (OTD)
Discount T: Maxxis (dont know date code yet) $220 OTD

Gateway cant get the Maxxis ST's. He said he sells tons of the Omnis to the "Utility" trailer guys.

What a decision....
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:22 PM   #46

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
O..

Gateway cant get the Maxxis ST's. He said he sells tons of the Omnis to the "Utility" trailer guys.

What a decision....
Can't get or won't get? And the Utility trailer comment could be a red flag. When a tire blows out on a utility trailer, the majority of the damage is limited to the tire. The metal trailer tends to fare pretty well.

When a tire blows out on a Fiberglass camping trailer...
Attached Thumbnails
tire damaged scamp.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #47

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Ok...I've basically narrowed my decision between two tire brands and they're at the opposite ends of the spectrum.
Gateway: Omni Trail 45 (date code 1616) $118 out the door (OTD)
Discount T: Maxxis (dont know date code yet) $220 OTD

What a decision....
If were me I would hands down go with the Maxxis that are tried and true travel trailer tires vs something cheap and popular for use on a utility trailer.

But will admit I have never heard/seen anyone use the "Omni Trail" brand tire but know lots who are running on Maxxis and are happy. Including myself. So not a totally unbiased opinion.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:09 PM   #48

Ok Carol...details. I'm all . How long have you had them? Miles?

After viewing Gordy's pic, well... it's easier to make a decision from a -as you said- tried n true brand compared to a no-namer-going-by-the-salesman tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If were me I would hands down go with the Maxxis that are tried and true travel trailer tires vs something cheap and popular for use on a utility trailer.

But will admit I have never heard/seen anyone use the "Omni Trail" brand tire but know lots who are running on Maxxis and are happy. Including myself. So not a totally unbiased opinion.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:35 PM   #49

Registry
Quote:
Ok Carol...details. I'm all . How long have you had them? Miles?
Have actually only had the Maxxis's since March so only a couple of thousand tow miles on them. Not much to go on but I am happy so far with the feel of the tow.

I replaced 4 GY Marathons with them although they were about $20 a tire more than than the Marathons. I did it after the local tire guy who I have used for years stopped carrying the GYM's and recommended I try the Maxxis instead which he has been carrying for about 7 years. From my research on other forums I became aware that they are an increasing popular alternate tire to Marathon's for those who are not wanting to switch out to LT tires which usually also requires a rim size increase which not everyone has room for or $$'s to do. All adds up if one has a dual axle trailer as I have. At a recent SOB trailer rally I attended with about 25 trailers I noticed about 7-8 of the trailers had Maxxis on them - so they are not an obscure tire - at least not in these parts ;-) On SOB forum i belong to there are a number of folks who have been running on them for a number of years and they have nothing bad to say of them and have said they would buy them again. Dealers of them are fairly easy to find as well.

I believe there are also a number of folks here who have been running on Maxxis's for a few years as well.

Do a google of some the other large RV forums for more details on users of them.

Tires are one of those things that "you" have to decide for yourself what your most comfortable running with. Just as there are many reasons behind tire failures, there are just as many reasons behind people choosing such and such a brand of tire over another. ;-)
Old 09-07-2016, 07:38 AM   #50

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Darrell, did you ask if Discount Tire will order in Carlisles? They have a decent reputation and might be an in-between solution price-wise.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:52 AM   #51

Yessir I did. And for DT, they were - as you say- about middle ways between the Omnis and Maxxis. I've read mixed on Carlisles where some had had some trouble and the variations from US/China.... over all a good tire. But that's why I will pay apx $50 more and spring for the Maxxis. I havent read/heard ONE negative comment on the tires except "price" and I dont consider that a negative in a user sense.

Something interesting I read this morning from eTRailer! I had written yesterday and asked them about the age of their "Kenda" tires. They responded that they could be up to TWO yrs old in storage and they would still sell them. For my vehicle that's ok...but not for my trailer...not again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Darrell, did you ask if Discount Tire will order in Carlisles? They have a decent reputation and might be an in-between solution price-wise.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:54 AM   #52

So far I've had good luck with Kenda tires on my 2500lbs popup trailer.
My popup is 17 years old, and on its 3rd set.

This trailer originally came with Duros, which I had no problem with. They lasted about 7 years.
They were replaced with Kenda's LoadStar K550, ST175/80D13, rated for 1610lbs at 65psi (higher rating than the original Duros). I used them for about 7 years also.
They were replaced with Kenda's Karrier KR03, same size and load rating, but radials, which have been on the trailer for about 3 years now.

I don't know how much mileage the tires had when I replaced them.
Never had a blowout or any issue, but I always kept them inflated at their max pressure.

The Trillium I bought last year runs on new GoodRide ST205/75R14, installed by the previous owner. I have no idea how good or bad they are. The surprise came when I looked up my spare tire: it's the original F78-14 tire from 1981!!
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #53

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
The surprise came when I looked up my spare tire: it's the original F78-14 tire from 1981!!
Had a very similar surprise when I dropped the spare on my new to me trailer... the good news is the tire did have air in it but that was about the only good news.

I suspect what happens is folks change out their tires and forget all about the spare! Out of sight out of mind. I know I have done that in the past - not once by twice when replacing tires on a trailer.!! Always kick myself after! eyes:
Old 09-07-2016, 05:56 PM   #54

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi just reading this tonight and realized my trailer is a 2012 which would mean they'll be 5 years old next camping season. Scamp 13. So does that mean I simply get new tires, including the spare, despite any good condition they appear to be in? I don't want to open up a can of worms, and I do know what dry rot looks like. But other than that, what do I look for? Or should I simply replace them?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:07 PM   #55

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Hi just reading this tonight and realized my trailer is a 2012 which would mean they'll be 5 years old next camping season. Scamp 13. So does that mean I simply get new tires, including the spare, despite any good condition they appear to be in? I don't want to open up a can of worms, and I do know what dry rot looks like. But other than that, what do I look for? Or should I simply replace them?

Wendy,

Check the actual date code on each tire (WWYY format = week/week/year/year). As an example, two of mine are dated 3611 = September 2011 on a 2012 trailer. The spare is 2111, which is a bit older.

Beyond that, opinions and best practices from various sources vary. The general consensus is that tires "age out" even when there is no visible wear. DeanCHS1980 posted pictures of a tire dated July 2010 with huge blister on the sidewall, which was very dangerous.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post596964

Other people have run tires many-many years with no problems. You can Google and read articles on "tire aging" and decide what works for you.

I am personally going with 6 years for my current set, so anticipate buying three new ones next year before we start any extensive towing. However, that may or may not work for your personal situation, considering climate, past use, whether you and/or a former owner have kept them properly inflated, whether you like spumoni ice cream, and suchnot.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:39 AM   #56

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Thank you Civilguy! I will read up on it and check date codes. Would you mind clarifying that? So if 3611 is September of 2011, is that because 3 and 6 equal the 9th month? I don't understand the week/week part. Sorry to be such a pain, but you've helped me a lot!

Wendy

CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:05 AM   #57

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Wendy, the week code is the week number, thus the 3611 code means the 36th week of 2011.

For example we are, coincidentally, currently in the 36th week of 2016. These will vary slightly from year to year. Here is a week number calendar for this year:

2016 calendar with Week Numbers - What week is it?
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:01 AM   #58

TIRES ORDERED

So here's the story. My tires are "ordered". I went online and found them cheaper. I called my mechanic which fortunately is my BiL. He told me to bring them into their business and ask that he mount/balance the tires.

I had called Discount Tire one last time to get the DOT "Date code" and they never called me back. Fine. I shopped DT online and they were cheaper. Then I found onlinetires.com. They were a little cheaper. So I call ask them about the date- basically, he said I would get what they have and I would have to call MAXXIS and talk to them. I did. She was VERY nice and told me that "onlinetires" is not their best reseller! She said for the "latest", go online and find Real Deal Tires - Buy Tires Online - Leading Brands including Maxxis, Michelin, Kumho and BFGoodrich and I did.

I called them and talked to "Austin". He PERSONALLY went into the warehouse where they had 8 of these MAXXIS in stock. He called me back to give me the newest he had which is a "2316". I pressed the process order button and sent the order while he was on the phone! They shipped today. Total including my Brother-in-law mounting is $189. That's $70 more than the Gateway Omnis but to me it's a $70 peace-of-mind that I've done my best to select the best tires.

Did I order a spare? Nope. The one I have looks brand new- never been exposed to the sun OR road. If/when I replace it, where I'm having the Maxxis mounted offered to sell me two new tires mounted/balanced for $92!!!! Have NO clue as to what brand BUT, that's what I'm replacing the spare with when I do! It only makes sense.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:30 PM   #59

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Nice!

I like spending other people's money!

Old 09-08-2016, 01:06 PM   #60

I just wanted to post some - what I feel is- informative sights and interesting reading on tires. They're probably one of the most important but yet neglected items in RVing- until they pop.

The first one- you can change the size of the tire to the left. But I like how it lists the different price ranges and tires/brands available. You can click on the tire's model # for even more info- Specifications, etc.
https://simpletire.com/catalog?selec...atio=80&rim=13

This next one had some interesting comments and not just on FG trailers concerning tires. We sometimes forget just how HUGE some of these trailers can be and the loads THEIR tires will be carrying.
What Brand Tire Is The Best For My Travel Trailer?

Tags
tires