To Aircondition or Not Aircondition that is the question - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #41

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hall View Post
Hey Everyone,

We are getting ready to buy a trailer and are undecided on one last point. Do we need the airconditioner or not? We are both tall and worried about headroom. Interested to hear your take. We generally camp and backpack, but were thinking it might be nice to splurge a little. Not sure if it is worth it if we are bumping into it though. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
If you do some searches on this forum and the Casita & Scamp Forums you'll find lots of ideas on adding rooftop, window, closet or floor AC units. These can designed as permanent installations in your trailer or loaded into the cabin before departing on camping trips in hotter weather.

The thing about ACs:
  • They are important during resale.
  • When you need AC, you'll be happy you have AC.
  • Every once in a while, you'll need AC!

When looking for my trailer, AC was an important consideration. I have dogs, and travel to the Southwest. AC not only provides comfort on those hot days and nights, but protects my dogs as well. Before I bought my Bigfoot 19, I asked a friend who is taller than my husband, to help me evaluate the trailer. The first thing he commented on is that he could stand up straight when under the roof mounted AC. He thought that was a good thing ...

Consider these issues I experienced with my AC:
  1. it is an older [less efficient] model which requires over 4000 watts for start up. This means that a [quiet] Honda 3000 won't work. My "default" generator is much noisier [albert cheaper and slightly more compact] than a Honda.
  2. because it is mounted on the roof, I'm sure I loose gas milage. But then again, I've opted for a relatively larger, heavier fiberglass trailer to satisfy my creature comforts.
  3. the AC leaked through the roof during a rain storm at the end of my first year with the trailer. But I discovered the problem almost immediately, and was able to protect the trailer from water damage. I know to check that area annually.

If I were ordering a new trailer, I'd definitely include AC. If I were buying another used trailer, I'd look for one with a working AC.

If you dry camp, I recommend researching the efficiency [start-up watts] for any AC unit included with the trailer.

If I were super handy and understood fiberglass trailers and/or trailers in general, I'd factor in the cost of customizing the installation of an AC unit in a trailer that I thought to be a "good buy".

Either way, I'd always go with AC!

Old 11-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #42

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I would not buy one without air conditioning. Even here in Minnesota I always have the air going on warm to hot days. It does get hot in these little campers. Not many windows in them for air circulation. Resale value alone is worth it.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #43

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalyn View Post
I would not buy one without air conditioning. Even here in Minnesota I always have the air going on warm to hot days. It does get hot in these little campers. Not many windows in them for air circulation. Resale value alone is worth it.
Just my 2 cents worth.

I wouldn't buy one either without AC..........
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #44

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
I wouldn't buy one either without AC..........
Different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't buy one with A/C.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #45

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Thinking of installing a Swampy Cooler in my reno...Anyone ever done this?

www.swampy.net
David Konduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #46

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I'm thinking about a MW1 cooler from that website for next summer's travels, but no experience with it yet. They sure have a pile of good testimonials on their website.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #47

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Konduc View Post
Thinking of installing a Swampy Cooler in my reno...Anyone ever done this?

www.swampy.net
You only want to use a swamp cooler if you camp in a low-humidity areas. Otherwise it not only doesn't cool, but adds more moisture inside the trailer.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #48

Live in Vancouver BC. Swamp Coolers work best west of the Mississippi......
Old 12-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #49

I like the 2012 WIN
Old 12-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #50

Name: Julie
Trailer: Future Casita Owner
North Central Texas
Interesting thread... Living in Texas I think I have never been without A/C in my life. It's hard to believe places exist that don't need air conditioning. I'd definitely have to have it, then do my best in the summer to travel to places that use it the least! LOL!
Old 12-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #51

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We've been in Florida a month and haven't turned it on once though I probably should exercise it. I really don't expect we'll need it until maybe September in Iowa.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #52

Believe it or not My American friends it does get hot up here in Canada during the Summer.....
Old 12-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #53

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Air conditioning in Canada. We've traveled in every Canadian province from April to September and have never needed our air conditioner. However I am sure there are some really warm days, weeks and months but not when we've been there, generally even the summers seem pleasant though the sun seems to be above the horizon for a long time in some of the more northerly provinces and territories.

Canada, an absolutely great place to travel......

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #54

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
It looks like I'm getting my first fiberglass camper next week- a 1977 13' Trillium. I doesn't have AC - but it will! We had had 64 days over 100 degrees this year. I don't mind camping when it's hot, I just like sleeping at night.
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #55

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I like not having the extra weight and space taken up by AC, but I have to admit I really wouldn't have complained about having it that weekend I camped in Virginia Beach on a 100-degree weekend. Still, I'm not going to bother.

Maybe my next trailer years from now will have it, assuming the future need for global warming adaptation....
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #56

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I am 6'4" and have learned that walking around headroom is less important than-lying-in-the-bed headroom. The bed in our 2002 Casita SD 17 is 77x54. Air conditioning is standard equipment on deluxe Casitas, standard model Casitas are extremely rare. The AC is above the bed and I have yet to bump my head on it.
We previously had a '99 Casita 17 with the ac under the closet. I don't think it was as effective as the roof unit.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #57

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We live in Michigan and have ac in our house, in our minivan, in our truck, and in both trailers. Will never have another RV, car, truck, house without it. We use it sometimes when maybe the temp doesn't require it but use it to take the humidity out of the house or so we can drive with the windows closed.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote