To Cover or Not - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #15

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Our VT is covered. We live just outside Chicago. It is always depressing to see it get covered. It is kind of the signal the warm weather is over.

Since the hubby helped me decide on the final design when I asked for his help, I can say this. I decided to get a customized spare tire cover for him for his birthday/Christmas present to match our UHaul VT. The day that the stitchers told me I had to give them the numbers off the spare tire was the day he covered it up and backed it so close to the garage that I could not lift the corner of the cover. Happily, he had posted those numbers over on uhaulcamper, and my aged brain kind of remembered that. I found the numbers there.

CindyL

Old 12-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
While snow is usually not a problem in Portland, Oregon... rain is. I've saved myself lots and lots of hours since I no longer have spend time cleaning the moss, slime and muck off the trailer every spring. Since it's covered under the carport, now it just gets dusty. With a good coat of wax, all I need to do is hit it with a hose and I'm ready to go camping!

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #17

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Continuing the thought from CindyL...

Our VT sits under a HUGE river maple tree and occasionally twigs and branches get blown down. The cover (it was made for a Casita but works fine on our 16' VT) helps deflect the branches and avoids scratches. We also get some funky air quality sometimes near Chicago, so the cover keeps the trailer cleaner over the winter. During the summer, I wash it at least once a month, so it stays clean. We also had a couple small leaks around the back window over the past few years, so the cover keeps this from happening, especially with snow and ice build-up and melting. (I tie the cover down securely so the wind doesn't move it and it has built-in air vents front and back to help with air circulation, too.)
Old 12-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think if you invest in a proper cover made to fit your trailer it will work. Mine was made for a Scamp but fits my Egg Camper like a glove. It does not move,flap, or make any movement. There are 3 straps that go underneath and secure the cover. It has a zipper on the side for entrance and it protects from snow,debris,ice, rain. In fact the trailer is spotless. Of course when I remove it in the Spring I may be touting a different song but for now I'm for the protection.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #19

Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
California
Registry
I just followed a Boler restoration thread on YouTube. He'd put a tent type shelter on his boler shell over the winter and a load of snow collapsed the shelter and "flattened it". He had the windows out and the frame off at the time so it probably wasn't nearly as strong as a complete trailer.

The link to the YouTube Boler thing is here
YouTube - Riverport Rovers Boler Trailer Refit Part 2 here but the story about the snow is in the comments.

The VT should be pretty strong being that it has the double hull and some wing supports for the AC, but I wouldn't want more than a few inches of snow on mine.

It doesn't snow here (well we had a couple inches about 25 years ago) but I cover my VT with an x-large car cover that comes just past the window bottoms. It keeps the tree sap off the trailer and the window seals in tbe back leak a bit so it helps with that, too! The sun's strong here so that keeps the gel-coat from getting totally bleached out.

There's a seller on eBay that sells Casita covers. I bought one of their other models for my Escape but haven't installed it yet because I want the rain to stop so I can wash the trailer first! If it works out well I'll try one of the casita covers and let you know how it works.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #20

Name: Kathie
Trailer: U-HAUL VT16
upstate ny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
I just followed a Boler restoration thread on YouTube. He'd put a tent type shelter on his boler shell over the winter and a load of snow collapsed the shelter and "flattened it". He had the windows out and the frame off at the time so it probably wasn't nearly as strong as a complete trailer.

The link to the YouTube Boler thing is here
YouTube - Riverport Rovers Boler Trailer Refit Part 2 here but the story about the snow is in the comments.

The VT should be pretty strong being that it has the double hull and some wing supports for the AC, but I wouldn't want more than a few inches of snow on mine.

It doesn't snow here (well we had a couple inches about 25 years ago) but I cover my VT with an x-large car cover that comes just past the window bottoms. It keeps the tree sap off the trailer and the window seals in tbe back leak a bit so it helps with that, too! The sun's strong here so that keeps the gel-coat from getting totally bleached out.

There's a seller on eBay that sells Casita covers. I bought one of their other models for my Escape but haven't installed it yet because I want the rain to stop so I can wash the trailer first! If it works out well I'll try one of the casita covers and let you know how it works.
Matt:
Yes, let me know.Thanks. Everyone talks about wax, what is it, where do I get it, how do I do it and I do know why.. Sorry, remember I am a fiberglass newbie !
Old 12-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #21

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Matt in Sv
read your post about the Boler roof caving in under the weight of the Snow and went out today and made a brace inside for support just in case....... This winter i will worry less
Thanks for that post and reminder.
Joe
Old 12-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #22

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Joe, good choice. Peace of mind is worth the effort!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:22 AM   #23

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
Don't forget to disconnect the batteries before you cover up the trailer. An even better idea is to remove the batteries and leave them on a maintenance charger.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #24

Name: Rick
Trailer: former Boler, now 1980 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Smile

We put the trailer under a cover with roof supports at front and back and the middle. The cover does not actually touch the trailer, at least in theory, and snow does not build up on it much because of the peaked shape and the wind. In previous years we used a 10 by 10 screen house, but the new trailer is 2 feet longer, so I adapted the screen house frame for the new dimensions (about 8 X 12) and used different covers, with a tarp on top for this year. I left one side open, since the trailer is not actually damaged by a bit of weather. I started off this year intending to not cover the trailer, but within a couple of weeks the roof was covered in fallen leaves and other debris that made me unhappy to look at it, so I changed it. Pictures below.

Rick G
Attached Thumbnails
trailer cover.jpg   trailer cover3.jpg  

Old 12-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #25

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
I think the boler restoration guy had alot more projects then just the trailer going there. Reminded me of watching the Red Green show.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #26

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
I loved the Red Green Show...... It was a sorry day when they aired their last episode. I can't even find repeats here in Pa.
Joe
Old 12-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #27

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
There were alot of famous stars on there. I think we started watching it beause channel 12 came in the best.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #28

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Dakota
Registry
I went covered and right now it is 1 degree and 8 inches of snow on my scamp. So far so good!

2005 Chevrolet Extended Cab Silverado
Tezha is offline   Reply With Quote