To cover or not to cover, that is my question?! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #41

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
FWIW I live in the mountains of NC myself. I have been surprised how durable my neighbors HF model has been. He added tie downs and used self tapping screws to hold the poles together. I would have guessed it would have lasted a season. We definitely get snow here, its snowing today. But it’s not like up north. Still we lost 8 trees to wet heavy snow last spring. They are renters so erecting a permanent carport is not practical.
Yes I agree.. I made the same mods and it makes a big difference. If one just puts it up with the stock equipment it won't be very good. With the mods it should be fine with a few inches of fairly light snow but last year in central NC we had one big storm with ice and 10-12 inches of wet, heavy snow. The canvas would not have held up. I'm near the SC state line now so I am considering rolling the dice and leaving it up. Chances are better here that we won't get anything that the temporary carport cant handle. Its a similar situation with thunderstorms... the shelter has weathered quite a few of those, but it only takes one really good blow to destroy it. But at $100 to replace, a really big blow every five years or so it not so bad except that the camper could get damaged by the poles, and will not have any protection from large tree limbs. It has greatly reduced the problem is UV exposure however and has paid for itself in that I would say.

I do think it might work OK for Tinker Bell in Georgia.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 03:26 PM   #42

Name: Mike
Trailer: In the Market
Alaska
There is only one way and that is shrink wrapping. Don't bother with tarps or canvas covers. Otherwise just wax it before storing.
RollinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 12:06 PM   #43

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We live in western North Carolina. We have a custom canvas cover for our Lil Snoozy. We are on our second cover in nearly eight years. We leave in on in all the weather. The key is to have a cover that can breathe and fits well.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 06:14 PM   #44

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinMike View Post
There is only one way and that is shrink wrapping. Don't bother with tarps or canvas covers. Otherwise just wax it before storing.

We use a custom fitted canvas cover. It does fine for the western NC winters. The secret is a breathable fabric and a good fit. We leave ours on whenever we aren’t using the camper , summer and winter. The sun will do more damage than water, snow or ice.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote