To replace or not to replace rivets? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #1

Name: Brett
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 19'
Virginia
To replace or not to replace rivets?

I'm not trying to start a SS bolt vs. aluminum rivet debate here (which I think has been covered in these forums ), but I did want some advice. I recently purchased a 2000 19' Scamp and am starting the process of fixing her up some. My first order of business was to replace some of the rivets that are missing snap caps with new rivets, caps, and some butyl tape to ensure a seal. Should I go ahead and replace all of the rivets on the Scamp while I'm doing this? I hung out in the Scamp during the last rain storm and scoured it for leaks, but didn't see any, but I'm wondering if it would be better to just ere on the safe side and replace them all, giving me the peace of mind that that they will all be water tight? Or is it just a waste of time? I've never drilled out a bunch of rivets before so I have no idea how much of a pain it is. Thanks!
brettrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:38 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Waste of time.

Also consider that rivets dont always come out easily. Its not hard to widen the hole when trying to get a stubborn rivet out, and thats not something you want to do.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:51 PM   #3

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
If you can wiggle it on the outside, it's no longer tight and can leak. We've replaced all the loose ones with new snap caps, SS bolts, wrapped with butyl tape, with washers on the outside and a washer and a SS nylok nut on the inside. The plain nut looks OK and there have been no further leaks on the repaired spots.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:08 PM   #4

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eberhardt View Post
If you can wiggle it on the outside, it's no longer tight and can leak. We've replaced all the loose ones with new snap caps, SS bolts, wrapped with butyl tape, with washers on the outside and a washer and a SS nylok nut on the inside. The plain nut looks OK and there have been no further leaks on the repaired spots.
When you say “snap cap” are you referring to the little white cap over the head of the bolt on the outside ?? If so could you tell me more about them, I need to replace some rivets and thought I might as well do SS bolts but don’t know what bolts and caps to use.....thank you !!
Rnupnorthbrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:46 PM   #5

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
I use a size 10-24 1 inch SS bolt with a SS washer on the outside through a snap cap assembly available from Scamp or Pro-Dec. I wrap butyl tape around the threads for a better seal and secure the inside with another SS washer and a SS nylok nut. The nylok nut allows you to make it secure without over tightening. My wife approves the look of the nyloks next to the existing acorn nuts.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #6

Name: Brett
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 19'
Virginia
Okay, I think that I will just replace the rivets that are loose and just keep an eye on them to replace them as needed. Thanks for the advice!
brettrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:31 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If it aint broke dont fix it.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I pondered this topic just this past weekend. I was restfully camping and contemplating just such mysteries of the universe like should I replace some rivets on my Scamp. Thinking about it, and studying them (best I could without getting up from my comfortable chair) I realized the naked rivets were not hurting anything and had been that way ever since I got the Scamp many years ago. Someday, maybe after I retire I will replace them and put new washers/caps on. But then it will be my daughter’s Scamp as I plan on retiring in an Escape 19.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote