To tarp or not to tarp? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #15

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Whew - didn't think this would get so complex! Over: I picked up a "breathable" trailer cover some years ago. I leave a window and the roof vent open a crack. Never use poli-tarps to completely cover it or the inside will mold. I suspect the same might happen if you had it plastic wrapped. As for under, poli is probably okay. The key thing is minimum ground cover and plenty of ventilation. And rust proofing seems a good idea. Don't forget that these trailers have lasted for 40 or so years, probably in less than perfect conditions, so I'd say do what you can and what seems sensible and stop worrying about it!

Old 10-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #16

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Randy- BIG difference in a "breathable" cover than a plain-ole plastic Tarp (non-breathing). Maybe it's complicated, but people that have never done this needs to know what can and HAS happened to trailers in the past. Many will complain of mold. I leave my windows/vent cracked on my Scamp under my Carport and I live in the cold in the winter and hot/humid in the summer south. I've NEVER had a hint of "mold/mildew" in my Scamp.

As far as a basic "tarp", has anyone ever been under one in southern sun?? For what it's worth, I too used a "cover" before I had my carport installed. It was aggravating enough that I made up my mind to put up a carport or I was selling my Scamp. That still applies.

Steve, what do you use to retain the tarp? I've seen campers use tarps and pull them down tight around the perimeter of the RV. I still WOULD NOT do that.

Also, with a cover, the RV needs to be THOROUGHLY cleaned or you can get some major scratching going on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Place your trailer tires on some wooden planks to get them off the ground. I put a tarp over my trailer in the winter. The tarp covers the roof area and only comes down to the top of the windows / door . The tarp keeps leaves and pine needles off the roof and stops them from staining the gel coat plus I can easily
push the snow off the roof with a push broom without scratching up the gel coat. Never had a moisture problem.
The climate varies so much across the US that there is not one answer for everyone. I do give my entire trailer two coats of wax before winter to give it some protection from the weather.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy J. View Post
...these trailers have lasted for 40 or so years, probably in less than perfect conditions, so I'd say do what you can and what seems sensible and stop worrying about it!
Hear, hear!

Best thing you can do for your trailer in storage is to check on it regularly, so if anything does go awry, you can deal with it promptly.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
You don't want to trap moisture inside your unit. A trailer cover that breathes will keep debris off your unit and protect it from UV which is bad for fiber glass. That will work. A polymer tarp (plastic) may trap moisture which could cause corrosion and mould. This is not a good choice.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:37 AM   #19

Name: Steven
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Randy- BIG difference in a "breathable" cover than a plain-ole plastic Tarp (non-breathing). Maybe it's complicated, but people that have never done this needs to know what can and HAS happened to trailers in the past. Many will complain of mold. I leave my windows/vent cracked on my Scamp under my Carport and I live in the cold in the winter and hot/humid in the summer south. I've NEVER had a hint of "mold/mildew" in my Scamp.

As far as a basic "tarp", has anyone ever been under one in southern sun?? For what it's worth, I too used a "cover" before I had my carport installed. It was aggravating enough that I made up my mind to put up a carport or I was selling my Scamp. That still applies.

Steve, what do you use to retain the tarp? I've seen campers use tarps and pull them down tight around the perimeter of the RV. I still WOULD NOT do that.

Also, with a cover, the RV needs to be THOROUGHLY cleaned or you can get some major scratching going on!
I hold the tarp in place by tying with soft nylon cords ,gallon plastic jugs filled with sand to the grommets on the tarp. This method allows the tarp to tent away from the sides of the trailer . The ropes are not tied to nor contact the trailer. I wash and put two coats of wax on the whole trailer before I install the tarp .
Due to space limitations, I can not construct a car port to shelter my trailer. I wash and wax my trailer in the Spring , Fall and once a month in the summer to protect the gel coat.
I am retired so I have the time to do regular maintenance .
I looked into renting a garage to store my trailer but rental facilities with 10 ft doors are rare in my area and expensive ($1000 / anum.)
I do what I need to do to protect my investment as best I can.
My 1999 Scamp was never waxed or covered by the previous owner and the gel coat definitely showed this lack of care and proper maintenance.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:55 PM   #20

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I figured you write this back because you know how to do it. Keeping the tarp from "sealing" itself to the camper does let it "breathe" by air passing underneath to an extent! Good job!

While some choose not to "worry" about, I happen to be one that DOES and want to keep my Scamp looking as new as I can as long as I can. Your last line proves there IS a difference Steve...if you choose for it to be. So I consider it more of a concern for caring than "worry". When I go to campgrounds- and this happened about 3 weeks ago- and people say "I thought it was new.", then I know my efforts are paying off. If my Scamp ever starts to look "trashy" because of my lack of care/concern or what have you, it's history. But that's just me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I hold the tarp in place by tying with soft nylon cords ,gallon plastic jugs filled with sand to the grommets on the tarp. This method allows the tarp to tent away from the sides of the trailer .

My 1999 Scamp was never waxed or covered by the previous owner and the gel coat definitely showed this lack of care and proper maintenance.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:22 PM   #21

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita
Florida
I've been parking our Casita on the side of the house on the grass. I may put a concrete pad in eventually, but for now I took some of the asphalt shingles left over from a post-hurricane roof job some years ago and spread them under the trailer. I do have concrete 12x12s under the tires and a concrete block for the tongue.

I thought the shingles would work well because they're heavy enough to not blow away, and there's plenty of places for water to pass through them so there's no standing water.

Oh yeah, I put a liberal sprinkling of ant crystals under the shingles. Lots of ants and other critters down here. They're welcome to the rest of the yard but stay outta my trailer!
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #22

Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Wish we all could get some of that Tarp fund money....
Old 10-16-2016, 12:26 PM   #23

Name: Richard
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Using a tarp as a cover works fine. Never had any issues with mold or mildew. Wouldnt put one underneath though

Sent from my STV100-3 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 11-20-2016, 01:12 PM   #24

Name: Darilyn
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
This year made the decision to cover my 13 foot scamp with a tarp over the winter to protect from snow and breakdown of seals, etc. due to moisture…. I know to be concerned about scratches so the tarp is placed over the regular cloth cover I use year-round. Does the FG community think this was a good idea or not? It was truly a labor of love by my father and I most of the day yesterday…Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1479669111.388139.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	101358

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-20-2016, 10:41 PM   #25

Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Snow and moisture aren't the problem, assuming you don't already have leaks. It's the UV light from the sun that is the issue. That's why a canopy works well. Cheers!
Old 11-20-2016, 10:50 PM   #26

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Put a cheese sandwich in a plastic bag and leave it in the fridge for three months.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:17 PM   #27

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Put a cheese sandwich in a plastic bag and leave it in the fridge for three months.

I'm guessing that was supposed to be a joke???

Old 11-20-2016, 11:18 PM   #28

Pennsylvania
I don't have any cheese in my camper...