To tarp or not to tarp? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2017, 06:31 AM   #41

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
The principles are easy enough.

Trapped heat coming in contact with a cold surface will cause condensation. A closed trailer will heat up during the day and not cool of fast enough at night. Heat rises, a bathroom vent, Maxx Air, Fantastic fan whatever you may have up high leave open a crack to vent heat out.

A covered trailer, can't breath and vent, while leaving a space around for airflow will help, it still has the same basic problem, the trapped heat collects at the top and inside of the trap gets the condensation and the outside of the trailer. This is why the recommendation is for breathable fabric.

The way around this is to vent the top, high point, of a normal tarp.

Drape pool noodles across the top of the trailer, from side to side over the edge, figure about 5 rows. In the center of the roof place something that can hold the tarp elevated higher than the rest and cut a large enough hole to allow enough heat to vent quickly. You can protect the opening by building a small mount to hold something over it, not directly on it, think a trash can lid.
This acts like the newer attic vents that are built into the peak and the shingles.

The other way would be to elevate the ends or one end of the tarp, on the North end so that you won't have the direct sun on the trailer, for UV protection. This will have the act like the attic vent in most houses where you see the slats on either end at the peak.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:21 AM   #42

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
Instead of a tarp, consider using a 10'x20' white canopy. You can find them lots of places for short money.
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:57 AM   #43

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've preached and preached again tarps and still do.

Here's truly the ONLY way to "fly" if possible at all- see photo below. 7 yrs under this bad boy with no HINT of mold/mildew proves it- in this Tennessee weather that goes from 5 deg Fah to 100 with HIGH humidity!! The photo says it all.

And YES- the front bathroom is opened slightly along with the kitchen window AND Fantastic vent fan (the previous two are not in view). This allows air flow 24/7 365 days a year through my Scamp... which is why I'M convinced that not only the "exterior" covering has to allow it to "breathe" but also the "interior"- thus the airflow. I use no "damp rid" or heaters...nothing!
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp Under Carport.jpg  
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:26 PM   #44

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Mould is nature's recycler. Their spores function as seeds and are ever present in the air. Mould digests carbon based substances which are also ever present and a major component of dust. The only other requirement for mould growth is moisture. Herein lies your problem. When water vapour present in the air strikes a cold surface, it condenses on that surface and the mould spores begin digesting any carbon based material (dust, pollen,etc.) present. The key to preventing the growth of mould is to find and eliminate the moisture source.
A tarp traps the moisture.
You need to promote air circulation so the condensation can evaporate.
Without a moisture source mould can't grow.
I agree with Glenn and using only a coat of wax.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:36 PM   #45

Just a coat of wax??? This is really going to protect decals, tires, ac covers, vents, rubber seals around windows/doors from the sun's UV's????

Dont think so! Bad advice in my opinion. And yes, I still wax my Scamp once a year with Protect All.

While I certainly do not advocate tarps, a good "Cover" would be a must if not for my carport! Wow.

Calmark comes to mind with "covers". I didnt go with one because they were nearly half the cost of my carport and you still have to take them on/off.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:36 PM   #46

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
NO TARPS FOR ME.
I live in the Pacific North Wet. Mold is said to grow on our backs.
To keep my trailer from getting moldy, I have a steel carport cove beside my house on gravel. The trailer sits there when we're at a home.
What I do differently than Darrel is put a heater inside and keep the inside temperature between 45° and 50°F with and electric heater. I use Dri-Z-Air to take moisture out of the air, and during wettest and coldest months head for the sunny south with trailer in tow.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #47

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
A car port, garage or any enclosing structure would certainly be advantageous. A tarp would be a disadvantage.
A good quality wax will provide UV protection which is the cause of decal fading, polymer and fiberglass oxidation etc. It will also help to prevent dirt and debris from adhering.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:46 PM   #48

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Just a coat of wax??? This is really going to protect decals, tires, ac covers, vents, rubber seals around windows/doors from the sun's UV's????

Dont think so!...

This is actually a good point and worthy of further discussion. Care of the aforementioned items (esp rubber seals) is one of the very few topics that I have not seen discussed at length on this forum.

Being an (ex) scuba diver, I had some pure silicone grease around and used it on the rubber that is around my Scamp's windows at the same time I waxed the fiberglass with Marine wax. It does seem to be good for the rubber and I think it will help to do this about once a year.

Here are some links for the products to condition and protect rubber...
Trident 2 oz Container Silcone Lube
or
https://www.amazon.com/3M-08946-Clea.../dp/B005RNEH5O

Tires and A/C have their own covers at my place.. I even put a loose fitting cover over the tongue to protect the propane hoses, etc. from sunlight.

If I could do a carport I would, it would make life easier, but for now I just cover what I can and treat the rest with silicone paste, wax, etc.

Opinions about using the linked products on rubber on the Scamp are welcome.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:40 PM   #49

Thanks Gordon.

The silicone you mentioned must be VERY similar to "Dielectric" grease...or maybe even the same stuff. I like that...but here's why I dont use it or probably need it. In other words, another alternative that I touched on.

Protect All (and I include a link). As the name implies, you can use it on the body (gelcote), rubber seals, plastic, vinyl....EVERYTHING. So, since my Scamp stays in the shade AND gets waxed once a year, I feel it's sufficient.

But then I look at the "silicone" and think that would be a MUCH better application for RV's that are out and travel more than my Scamp! I'll keep a mental note of that for future reference. I feel it would last longer than the Protect All which I think is primarily "carnauba wax" based.

This is pricey wax but lasts me about 4 yrs with my current treatment on the 13' Scamp. Oh, and I use it on my other two vehicles as well.

Protect All, Gallon - Thetford 62010 - RV Cleaners - Camping World

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
This is actually a good point and worthy of further discussion. Care of the aforementioned items (esp rubber seals) is one of the very few topics that I have not seen discussed at length on this forum.

Being an (ex) scuba diver, I had some pure silicone grease around and used it on the rubber that is around my Scamp's windows at the same time I waxed the fiberglass with Marine wax. It does seem to be good for the rubber and I think it will help to do this about once a year.

Here are some links for the products to condition and protect rubber...
Trident 2 oz Container Silcone Lube
or
https://www.amazon.com/3M-08946-Clea.../dp/B005RNEH5O

Tires and A/C have their own covers at my place.. I even put a loose fitting cover over the tongue to protect the propane hoses, etc. from sunlight.

If I could do a carport I would, it would make life easier, but for now I just cover what I can and treat the rest with silicone paste, wax, etc.

Opinions about using the linked products on rubber on the Scamp are welcome.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:12 PM   #50

Name: Grant
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Well I parked it on the grass, no tarp and no issues.

Thanks for the conversation all!
Lercs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:09 AM   #51

Name: Richard
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Another season putting a tarp on a dry trailer before winter, another season with no issues of mold
Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote