To tarp or not to tarp? - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-12-2016, 05:28 PM   #1

Name: Grant
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
To tarp or not to tarp?

I will be storing my boler on grass, should I put a tarp under it? Or should I just cut the grass really short?

The frame has been painted with rust inhibiting paint, so I am not too worried, but would like your opinions.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lercs View Post
I will be storing my boler on grass, should I put a tarp under it? Or should I just cut the grass really short?

The frame has been painted with rust inhibiting paint, so I am not too worried, but would like your opinions.
Well, the tarp will kill the grass so you won't have to worry about cutting it .

Old 10-12-2016, 05:49 PM   #3

Ontario
If the tarp is the better option, I'm not to worried about the grass. I'd actually like to put interlocking stones there one day, but it isn't the season to start that project.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:18 PM   #4

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
If the frame has been painted, you say, with rust-inhibiting paint, I'd do nothing. Just inspect it in the spring for evidence of rust ( confident that you won't see any ). Cover any chipped paint with dabs of the same paint.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:54 PM   #5

Ontario
Thanks, that's what I will do
Old 10-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
I learned in science that there is a water cycle. Rain falls and soaks in. Moisture in the ground evaporates.

A tarp blocks that cycle in both directions. Water will pool on top when it rains instead of soaking in. The underside of the tarp will collect and trap condensation from moisture in the soil.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:51 AM   #7

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I would put it up on jackstands. You need to worry more about the tires than the frame! With the rubber sitting on the grass, it will cause them to deteriorate faster. My Scamp is on jackstands as I type. This keeps the tires off the ground. THIS winter for the first time, I'm pulling the wheels to keep the tires inside.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:55 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Escape
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I would put it up on jackstands. You need to worry more about the tires than the frame! With the rubber sitting on the grass, it will cause them to deteriorate faster. My Scamp is on jackstands as I type. This keeps the tires off the ground. THIS winter for the first time, I'm pulling the wheels to keep the tires inside.
For maximum longevity, you really should do a vacuum sealed UV resistant plastic wrap around each of your tires and store them in a temperature controlled environment.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Park the unit on gravel if possible. Paving stones are better if you have them. Raise the unit on jack stands, the higher the better as it allows air the circulate under the unit so moisture doesn't accumulate. Never let the grass grow up under your unit, it will rust the suspension in just a few months. There is no such thing as rust proof paint, only rust inhibiting paint. Unless it was applied when the unit was new, it won't help much. Also, when the unit is towed the paint will be abraded exposing bare metal. Truck bed coating / gravel guard work better but must be applied to bare metal. Coating the metal with oil is a temporary solution. Direct sunlight (UV) is what rots your tires. Never tarp your unit unless you have a leak and fix the leak quickly so you can remove the tarp. A tarp won't keep moisture out but will trap it inside the unit, not only fostering rust but also mould.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:24 AM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
For maximum longevity, you really should do a vacuum sealed UV resistant plastic wrap around each of your tires and store them in a temperature controlled environment.
================================================== ===

Why not just do a vacuum wrap around the tires AND the trailer and store it in a temperature controlled environment ?

In Calif, I do the jacks, pavers under tires, covers over tires, light cover over trailer. AT 23 yrs old, it still looks pretty good.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:57 PM   #11

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Keeping the area around and under the trailer free of long grass is essential. If you've ever seen an old vehicle that has been parked in a fence corner for a year or two, you'll know what I mean. Gravel, as has been said is probably best. Right now I'm not prepared to put gravel in my back yard. So I'll cut the grass really short, support the corners to take some weight off the wheels, and maybe put a tarp underneath this year. Because our Trillium is a hollow frame, I leave it a little bit nose down to be sure any moisture would drain.

Does the Boler have a hollow tube frame? If so, I'd say that the outside surface is your lessor concern. You can't paint the inside, but I had our Trillium frame Crown rust coated inside and out a few years ago and plan to do the same this. This is not an add and there are other choices. But it kept an old car of mine on the road and looking good years past its peers so I trust it.

Oh, if you do go the rustproofing route, bargain on price. Because you need only the frame done they should knock off at least 20%. Three years ago it cost me 70 dollars CDN.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:02 PM   #12

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
No tarp under/over trailer? Does this mean I shouldn't use the canvas trailer cover?
Old 10-14-2016, 09:16 AM   #13

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I would NEVER EVER use a tarp OVER my Scamp. Why? They dont "breathe" and you can do more damage with a tarp than without.

Underneath? The reverse would apply. It would prevent moisture from the ground laying dormant beneath your trailer. I've never seen it done, but cant imagine what would be wrong with it...other than what's already been mentioned- it WILL kill the grass.

Where I store my trailer, the ground from side-to-side is slightly on a grade. I wound up digging out an area and filling it with gravel...just where the wheels sit. Now, when I back my Scamp in, it settles on the gravel and is automatically level side-to-side. I also use the 2" x 12 x 12 concrete "Stepping stones" (can get these at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc) under my jack stands. I did this when I was jacking up off the grass as well.

FWIW, dont worry about the tarp underneath...the RV alone will kill the grass anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
No tarp under/over trailer? Does this mean I shouldn't use the canvas trailer cover?
Old 10-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #14

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Place your trailer tires on some wooden planks to get them off the ground. I put a tarp over my trailer in the winter. The tarp covers the roof area and only comes down to the top of the windows / door . The tarp keeps leaves and pine needles off the roof and stops them from staining the gel coat plus I can easily
push the snow off the roof with a push broom without scratching up the gel coat. Never had a moisture problem.
The climate varies so much across the US that there is not one answer for everyone. I do give my entire trailer two coats of wax before winter to give it some protection from the weather.