took down the hood - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-31-2009, 02:49 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
I just finished removing the hood over my stove (it sure is more roomy now) and there are a few questions I have:
1-how do you get that white silicone goo off the places where the hood was mounted to the cabinet?
2- what to put over that very rough vent hole to the outside? Is there a small mini fan that will work?

2006 casita 17

Old 01-31-2009, 04:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Hi Ron

The white gooey stuff was very easy to get off. I just rubbed it with a cloth (can't remember but I think it was wet).

Jim used 3 computer fans mounted in the vent hole - and then used the same type of cover that was used outside. Here's a photo..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1850.JPG  

Old 01-31-2009, 08:15 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
I used a plastic scraper to try to remove the silicone. Slow going and I didn't get it all off. I didn't install a fan, I just covered the rough opening with a heater vent from Home Depot and then used regular caulk to fill in crack around it. I used rivets to install the vent.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01690__Small_.JPG  
Old 02-01-2009, 04:43 PM   #4

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...Once you get most of it (Caulking/silly cone)scraped off(There is a tool avail. for removing caulking) "Goo Gone" worked for me!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 02-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #5

Quote:
I used a plastic scraper to try to remove the silicone. Slow going and I didn't get it all off. I didn't install a fan, I just covered the rough opening with a heater vent from Home Depot and then used regular caulk to fill in crack around it. I used rivets to install the vent.
Did you pull the two wires (one for fan and one for light) up through the holes in the storage cabinet? Can't see them in your photo. Filled the hole with silicon? Lift the carpet up inside the cabinet to get rid of the wires?

Thanks

Ron
Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
Ron, Yes to all those questions about the wires. My sister actually did this work. She slit the carpet up in the cabinet and fished them up there. Then I filled the holes (mine actually had several..... maybe they weren't satisfied with the first ones they made???) with white silicone. You really don't notice them much unless you are looking for the repairs. When we removed her vent a hood, we noticed that our 2 vent areas don't look anything alike. Obviously, there aren't absolute specific techniques at Casita to do things. (rough cut-outs different sizes.....trim at the cabinet bottom different.....each job required slightly different approaches to cover all the rough spots)
Old 02-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Ron, Yes to all those questions about the wires. My sister actually did this work. She slit the carpet up in the cabinet and fished them up there. Then I filled the holes (mine actually had several..... maybe they weren't satisfied with the first ones they made???) with white silicone. You really don't notice them much unless you are looking for the repairs. When we removed her vent a hood, we noticed that our 2 vent areas don't look anything alike. Obviously, there aren't absolute specific techniques at Casita to do things. (rough cut-outs different sizes.....trim at the cabinet bottom different.....each job required slightly different approaches to cover all the rough spots)
Thanks... it was work slitting the carpet to get at the wires. I clipped them up inside the cabinet, tapped the ends and glued carpet back over them. I am going to put heater vent cover over the ugly hole that was left. No fan. I think the fantastic fan can suck enough cooking fumes out to prevent a false alarm.
Thanks for the help

Ron