total makeover-Would you do it again - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2007, 12:17 AM   #21

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
I will be updating our site later this month as I do want to include new pages for the Bigfoot and Boler and add closure to the stories of the Green Grape, Stubby and the 4500 (still keeping the pages on the site). . . .
Brenda, please do post an announcement here when you have updated your website. I've read all the stories -- they're terrific and I know I will enjoy reading the updates as well. "Dewey" is my personal favorite of the amazing transformation can be done with a small trailer.

Thanks !
--Lynne
lynneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:54 PM   #22

Name: Nate
Trailer: Burro
Florida
There is no doubt that a complete ground up restore is a huge undertaking. If yI had limited skills, limited tools, and no location to take on one of these huge projects I might feel its a great idea to reach out to members that have successfully completed theirs and find out whats to expect. If one is "chomping at the bit" make sure to be fully prepared for what is to come.

For me, its all about the enjoyment of doing a restore on my own. Knowing I've overcome all the obstacles to create a product that meets my dreams and that moment I set up my little burrito near my favorite mountain river spot and see the comfy cove I've created to enjoy my favorite drink by. Kicking up my feet after a flawless pull and set up is also priceless.

What ever it is, a restore project or brand new camper, get out there an use your product and live free. My 2 cent.
Burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:10 AM   #23

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
We got our 79 Boler in the year 98 and everything was original inside and exept for an added AC on roof, which was too heavy for the roof and was sagging bad, so we ditched first thing, everything was in working order.
My wife was crazy about KEEPING IT AS ORIGINAL AS WE COULD.
Over the years things break or stop workng so I've HAD to replace things.
Only real remodel I did was to build shelves in closet.
Things like home made rock guard supports, or new furnace, new fridge, new converter/charger/ Solar adaptability, new roof vent/fan and new wiring through out along with new LED 6 inch high top lights in the back or battery tray for the front toung.
I do not concider these things as remodeling but just up-keep
Would I do a compleat overhaul.?.
Seeing some of the picts on FGRV I get envious but still love our "Ladybug" and would never trade it in.
The challange or a complete restore doesn't hold be back as I know I could do all aspects of the job but it is the expense of the project.
The cost of new appliances are quite steep and at my age and not being a full-timer it's alot of $$$ just to sit in the yard 3/4 of the year.
That is the biggest thing $$$ sitting.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:48 PM   #24

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
We are well into interior rebuild, general body work done and will paint entire outside with a fresh coat of gelcoat lastly. For us it is worth the effort new hot water tank and furnace, good used stove of same size looks a lot better, and the furnace uses a lot less power then the old one did before it gave up.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:31 PM   #25

Name: Kyle
Trailer: '71 Boler
Texas
We are cutting our teeth on a '71 Boler and it is been fun. Planning on using for a few years then selling to get a 17' something...wish there were better sources for parts as not thrilled with scamp trailers. I think it is strange to call and place an order and not get info on order # total price eta etc... would and will do again! Great family project and memory maker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
DrKyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:31 AM   #26

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKyle1 View Post
...wish there were better sources for parts as not thrilled with scamp trailers.
Kyle, other than the door hinges, I cannot think of ONE thing that you need to purchase from Scamp. Everything else you can purchase elsewhere. Shoot since you're in Texas, you might be able to get what you need from Casita! If you need something specific, start a thread and ask. You'll get a lot of responses that may save you a bunch of money.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #27

Texas
Great thanks for the tip

Old 01-16-2017, 08:03 AM   #28

Texas
I just look them up Italy Texas just an FYI for everybody if you plan on visiting Casita police officers in Italy Texas do not I repeat do not give warnings for speeding

Old 01-16-2017, 12:01 PM   #29

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Nate restored a 10-year-old thread! My Hauley doesn't have any inner bulkheads, molded-in-place seats or cabinets. I think it's the best FG body for creating a custom interior. One could place cabinets wherever desired, in any sizes or configuration. Seating can be completely custom: chairs, sofa, whatever. One of the things that I least liked when camping was the lack of a truly comfy chair like I have at home; but with this trailer, I could take my home chair along if I wish!

The difficulty for me is that I don't know how to use sketchup or any other 3d drawing program. (I played with sketchup at one time and it was so non-intuitive, I gave up in disgust.) So I have to sketch out ideas by hand (lots of erasing) and try to visualize everything, and this causes me to proceed very slowly and cautiously.

Plus, I had to buy a table saw, learn how to use it safely (lots of youtube videos), buy accessories, learn about finishing birch without having horrible blotching, buy and experiment with mixing dyes to get the color I wanted, etc. It took me all fall, and I have barely gotten started. There's still window installation and electrical work to learn about, buy stuff for, and attempt. (What if I accidentally cut the window opening a bit too large?) It's a mixture of fun and anxiety, with a large dose of cash thrown in.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:39 AM   #30

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Unhappy

I design in 3D cad so I will tell you an easy approach for testing things to begin with. Designing this way you will learn the basic CAD skills one at a time and then slowly add another skill for the next phase of the design.

Start with building block shapes, do not try to put any details on them such as doors, drawers etc. First get those block shapes to fit the space. Each block represents a cabinet or a space such as a bathroom. Those blocks will be enough to give you the information you need to decide on a layout.

Next cover the blocks with virtual sheets of plywood. You might have to make the block smaller to account for the thickness of plywood. Then use the holes in the program to cut openings into the plywood for door and drawer openings. After that you can start adding sticks of wood inside of the cabinets for the framing. So take easy steps and just like a child begin your excursion into the world of 3D building with a set of colored building blocks. I have been designing things in 3D CAD for a lot of years but I still begin many projects that way because those simple basic shapes let me really focus on pleasing looking overall proportions before I start getting into the detail level of the designs.
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunrader concept.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	102368
This first CAD image was taken during a transitional phase of creating the model. There are still some basic building block shapes in it such as the overhead cabinets, the cabinet under the couch. But on the right is the bathroom in the stage where I have transitioned to sheets of plywood with holes cut for doors and further back from the bathroom shell is a cabinet where I started detailing the interior framing structure.

Name:	sunrader concept 2.JPG
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	102370
This next CAD image is where I was working on the underlying framing for the cabinetry. I make my cabinet frames from aluminum angle. I have the most of the plywood pieces visually suppressed so I could see the interior framing that I was detailing.

Name:	cabinet frame 1.jpg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	102369
And here is some of the actual framing completed.

So learn 3D CAD as you go in very easy steps. You really don't have to be a master of it to start working on the design. It is a natural way to learn as you gain rewards for your efforts right away. Don't spend a lot of time on trying to make surfaces realistic in a CAD model, you will have the real thing to look at soon enough

To answer the original question in this thread...would I do it over again. I am on my second remodel, started it while I am still finishing up the first one.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:40 AM   #31

Name: Patricia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr and 2020 Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Kent I gutted and rebuilt a 1970 Hunter Compact Jr. It took 1.5 years. I think my biggest disadvantage was I had no covered storage area to work under, and could only work on the camper when the weather allowed and because of that found myself missing other outdoor activities on beautiful days. I also like to start and finish a project in a short time frame. The best part of my rebuild was the satisfaction of building it out in a way that was specific to my needs.
Down the Road is offline   Reply With Quote