Touch up that trailer frame - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2002, 06:43 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Touch up that trailer frame

Now would be a good time to double check your trailer frame and tongue for little dings and nicks. Sand off any surface rust and hit with a shiny black spray paint ... in hard to reach spots, I use a little artist's paintbrush.

My 17 foot rig had a fold-down step ... the front of the metal step housing takes a real beating ... so make sure, if it applies, you check that.

No sense letting little rust spots fester all winter long ...

An ounce (gram) of prevention is worth a pound (kilogram) of cure.

Besides, it will give you something to do this weekend if you aren't going camping.

And if you are going camping this weekend ... more power to you.

When I run down the road, I carry a can of spray paint with me so I can touch up the frame when I notice a rust spot or two.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 07:12 AM   #2

Charles

If I tow Lazy M out to Dunlap (I live just ¼ mile [0.4 km] south), would you show me how?

To touch up, that is. :laugh

Old 11-15-2002, 10:20 AM   #3

Excellent point, Charles

I was just thinking about that very same thing last night. We put rust inhibitor(not sure of the terminology, but it turns the rust black and it acts like a primer) on the tongue, chain, and rear bumper when we first got the '89, then painted it. It not only saves it, it looks wonderful. I really had planned on getting the underneath done before now, but due to other circumstances, it just hadn't gotten done, and when looking under it last night, it rang a bell in my head.

Great point, Charles, thanks for bringing it up!

Old 11-15-2002, 07:41 PM   #4

Repairs and Touch-up

Excellent point Charles and depending on the climate you normally inhabit you may want to consider the inside of your frame(particularly those who enjoy winter camping in snowy areas?).If you have a tubular frame,like the Boler,you may want to consider drilling small holes and using a rust inhibitor inside your frame.Many of our units have open ends(towards the hitch end)that accumulate dirt and moisture that will accelerate the demise of the metal(rust!) from the inside out.Anyways ,there are a variety of commercial products one could use to slow this process.

Old 11-26-2002, 08:15 PM   #5

Check'en out the frame

While glancing at the frame the other day, just out of curiosity, noticed there was a failed weld on the step bracket. Whoever welded it did not get enough penetration, thus a failed weld. Guess I'll get it fixed one day, but now I think I need to look at the rest of the welds just in case this fellow that welded it was having a bed day. Never hurts to look things over. The safer the better. It might also mean that I need to lose some weight. Happy Camp'en. James

Old 03-22-2007, 01:27 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler
Anyone here ever done a frame off on a Boler? I'm looking at putting a new frame under mine in a couple of weeks, and wouldn't mind knowing where the body is bolted down. Does anyone know if I have to pull the water tank when lifting it? Any help would be most appreciated.
RobJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Anyone here ever done a frame off on a Boler? I'm looking at putting a new frame under mine in a couple of weeks, and wouldn't mind knowing where the body is bolted down. Does anyone know if I have to pull the water tank when lifting it? Any help would be most appreciated.
What size Boler are you refering to?
Old 03-25-2007, 03:17 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Rob: Check on Bolerama .com or post this question as a NEW TOPIC under problems.
I am sure you will get all the answers.
I have seen many of posts on just what your taking about.
also my 13 ft 1980 boler water tank is not anchored to fiberglass but is supported from below with brackets that may be screwed to glass so I would take it out just so I would not break it, in which you would have to take it out anyway.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote