touchup paint - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft 1996
Send a message via MSN to Ron Walker
Has anybody found a good touchup paint to match the Scamp white?
Ron Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Depends. New trailer or old trailer? White doesn't stay white forever, it has a tendency to age.. like fine wine! Anyone that's taken the decals off has found they "ghost." Remember too, the trailer wasn't painted, but that's gel coat.

So, what's the problem? Maybe we have better solutions than paint.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Depends. New trailer or old trailer? White doesn't stay white forever, it has a tendency to age.. like fine wine! Anyone that's taken the decals off has found they "ghost." Remember too, the trailer wasn't painted, but that's gel coat.

So, what's the problem? Maybe we have better solutions than paint.
It is an 82 Scamp. There are some minor dings that need filling, such as a deep scratch
caused by the door opening with the windows out. Also there are some small patches that look like repair patches that are now gray and need to be covered with gel coat or paint.
Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Ron,

I have the same repairs I'm making on my 81 13 Scamp.
Somewhere I was referred to Krylon Gloss Ivory Color Creations, which I found an 8 oz can at Wally. Not
perfect, but it matches the sun bleached areas really well.
Using a Marine fiberglass patch I got at Lowes to fill holes and dings and
touching up with the Krylon. The paint looked too glossy at first, but now that I'm doing
the two step Meguiars restoration on the shell it is matching up much better.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I just had a place fixed near the top of my trailer where someone thought they were doing a job of 'fixing' NOT! the guy sanded and repainted and its just like nothing was even there that had been wrong... I will try to get the name of the paint they used....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Any updates to this? I have two little divot holes near the door of my 2003 scamp. They allmost look like someone shot it with a BB gun. I filled them with a bondo type filler and sanded, but still need to find a good paint to match up.
Thanks.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
For what it's worth, I've used a White Fiberglass Repair kit made by Elmers Glue that did a great job as filler, it didn't need painting unless I sanded too deep and removed the original gelcoat.

The kit comes with a tub of white cake frosting thick fiberglass resin, a tub of white cake frosting thick oxidizer, some fiberglass cloth, and some flat plastic squeegee applicators. You blend the two creams together and butter it on where you need it. Sets up in a hour and cures in 24. It's white, white, white. Buff sand it and you're done.

Name:   35435703.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  13.9 KB

Elmer's, Fiberglass Repair Kit

I found it at Lowes.

ConwayBob
Old 07-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Marine-Tex putty found in marine supply stores is also already white and is super easy to work with.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:13 AM   #9

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
at Home Depot I found an appliance touch-up paint. It is an epoxy and comes in white and beige. The container is small but has a brush attached to the lid, kind of like fingernail polish. I used it on very small dings and to paint over old screw holed that I had filled with marine epoxy. I am happy with the results but it is for small touchups.
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:34 AM   #10

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I second the Marine-Tex epoxy putty or similar products. They're easy to use, match gel coat perfectly and fair down to exactly the same texture as the gelcoat. I'd never use paint over gel-coat unless you're doing it for accents or to repaint the whole trailer.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:49 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Here's what I bought for our new Casita, but have yet to use any of it. The Gel Coat Scratch Patch says "buff white" because I made an error, it was returned for "white". http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...amp;classNum=96
Attached Thumbnails
Gel_Coat.jpg  
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #12

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I went to our local Lowe's to find the Elmer's fiberglass kit, but they did not have that. They had the fiberglass resin with hardener in about a quart can and they had Elmer's All-purpose putty repair kit for fiberglass , concrete, and other misc. I took that. It is an epoxy that you slice off a small amount and knead together. It worked okay but dried to a light gray color rather than white. I took a color swatch of various white colors and found a close match. At a paint store that sells to body shops they found a spray can on the shelf that matched pretty close. I tried it and it looks okay. I also polished our Scamp (82 13') with Starbrite fberglass
color restorer and then waxed it with car wax. I probably should eventually use a wax made for fiberglass such as Meguiars or 3M. Ron W

Tags
paint, painting