Tow limits on cars - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-06-2008, 10:58 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Hi: I couldn't resist...had to weigh in on this topic. Our tow veh. is rated to tow 1250 lbs. but is also rated to carry 7 pass. and cargo totaling 2000 lbs. I feel with 4wh disc ABS + a tranny cooler and 2 pass. & reasonable gear and a Boler with a G.V.W.R. of 1700 lbs. we are towing responsibly.
This is where we start to get into the guessing games about why a particular manf set a limit. One of the figures one should look at is the Gross COMBINED Weight Restriction, which is the maximum the TV and trailer combined can weigh. Keep in mind that all these numbers are like links in a chain and the smallest number defines the chain, regardless of what the other numbers may be.

In this case, there's a big difference between a load in the vehicle and a load behind the vehicle, because the former may only break or wear something out, but the latter can put a rig in the ditch or opposing traffic when serious sway is induced by the wind, road surface, speed, etc. This is where stuf like wheelbase and overhang come into the manf's considerations when setting limits.

I strongly recommend getting actual scale weights, because vehicle and axle GVWR/GVAR are only upper limits set by the manf and until one actually weighs the rig, one doesn't even know if one is exceeding that.

For example, Scamp 13' trailer GVWRs have gone from 1,200 lbs in the '80s, through 1,600 lbs in the '90s to the current 2,200 lbs currently. Essentially, the actual weight of all these trailers in the base models have not changed, just the rubbering in the axles... What I'm trying to say here is that when the actual weight of a trailer under consideration isn't known, the GVWR is a good theoretical upper limit, but it should be replaced by a scale weight (fully loaded) as soon as possible.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #16

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
I'd wager that most of the Honda Element owners in this forum exceed the mfrs. 1500lb. tow limit with the loaded weight of their eggs.

Personally, I believe in wide margins, and tow my UHaul (1550lbs loaded) with a TV rated for 3000lbs.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:22 PM   #17

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Sorry to disagree with you Doug. My 13' Scamp weighs 1,500+ lbs loaded for camping. I think it's pretty difficult to find a 13' fiberglass trailer under 1,000 lbs.
Yes, I think 1500# is rather conservative also, our 13 Scamp w/ no water (or tank), no battery, 1 propane tank, fully packed, scaled @ 1600# last Spring on the way home from the NOG... Larry
Old 01-08-2008, 11:14 AM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks everyone for your input. It's why I wrote and asked.

I s'pose I aught to look into getting a different vehicle before pursuing a trailer like I want...Or reconsider teardrops...Or maybe a shell that I could finish out myself.

Thanks again.

Philip
Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 AM   #19

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I towed 1450 with my Element. Technically, it was in legal limits. I am sure lawyers would argue implied safety margins vs. actual specified ones should anything have occurred.

That said, even tho I was comfortable with the Es abilities based on actual towing experience with it, and stopping, wear and tear on the car etc, I would not go ANY higher for fear of the law, and knowing that I was at the upper end of the spectrum.

The Element also had some conflicting specs, or I should say the platform did, (CRV based) in other countries, which rated it at a higher capacity. These conflicting ratings are what made me comfortable at that weight, but as mentioned before, I would not have exceeded the US published limits under any circumstances.

My E was equipped with cooler and the 13 footer I was tugging had brakes.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #20

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft / 1999 Toyota Tacoma

These little trailers get pretty heavy when we load them up.

Once last year, I took the truck and trailer through a set of scales, and if I recall, the truck was 4400 with a full tank of gas, a full 70 qt cooler and an extra 5 gal of water, with two people, and 150 lbs of dogs. The 13 ft Scamperoonie went right at 2100 with a full refrigerator, full water, a week's worth of groceries and another 5 gallons of water. And the porta-pottie.

Our license on the 85 Scamp 13 says 950 Lbs.

They get heavier than we realize.

Garo
Old 01-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #21

West Coast USA
Registry
the 1450 was scaled weight, fully loaded, including dog toys :-P
Old 01-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #22

Besides the fact that anything as comically cute as an Element towing an Egg couldn't possibly be dangerous, right?

P.S.-I am in possesion of the U.S. Military's latest upgraded Patriot system. 100% Flying Monkey certified. You have been warned!
Old 01-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #23

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Heck, my little teardrop weighs in at 1360 pounds! Of course, it's got all the bells and whistles and even has a queen-sized mattress inside!
Old 01-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #24

West Coast USA
Registry
Dude, it's the Flying Monkeys.

Even Superman is scared of 'em.

Gubmint certified means nuttin!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #25

Hey it's certified by the Wizard and everyone knows he's trustworthy.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #26

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Cool

Quote:
Personally, I believe in wide margins, and tow my UHaul (1550lbs loaded) with a TV rated for 3000lbs.
I think like you do Jack, I struggled with the towing issue and in the end purchased a GMC Envoy with a Tow rating of 3500lbs. I really like it.

On a more humorous side, I saw a Mythbusters episode where they filled a truck with helium balloons in an attempt to reduce the weight of a vehicle. Perhaps we could fill our FGRV's with them to reduce the weight. Then we could use a motorcycle as a TV.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:12 PM   #27

Trailer: 1989 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
These little trailers get pretty heavy when we load them up.

Once last year, I took the truck and trailer through a set of scales, and if I recall, the truck was 4400 with a full tank of gas, a full 70 qt cooler and an extra 5 gal of water, with two people, and 150 lbs of dogs. The 13 ft Scamperoonie went right at 2100 with a full refrigerator, full water, a week's worth of groceries and another 5 gallons of water. And the porta-pottie.

Our license on the 85 Scamp 13 says 950 Lbs.

They get heavier than we realize.

Garo
I drive a Honda Ridgeline (5K rating) and want to buy a 16-17' FGRV. Anyone had any experience with towing with the Honda?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:38 PM   #28

West Coast USA
Registry
I think your Ridgeline will be OK for any of these eggs :-P

Thats really what I wanted, because of the towing capability, and it's "Hondaness" but I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a car/truck... even a Honda.