Towing with the Fridge on Propane? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #15

Name: buddy
Trailer: bigfoot b17/13 boler/15trillium
Ontario
Registry
Thanks everyone Like I said we are new to RV ING This is our first trailer I love this site & I'm sure I'll have more questions before our trip Planned for all of May 2011Thanks again and hope We meet somwhere on the road Bud&Jean

Old 12-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #16

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
For all of you who tow with the propane on: please don't!

Some years ago, I was driving a brand new Ford pickup and camper westbound on the freeway out of Fargo ND. The dealer had just finished hooking it all up, including the propane fridge. Suddenly a big truck in the fast lane started blowing his air horn frantically - I looked in the rearview mirror and saw black smoke whirling out the back of my camper, then orange flames!

I pulled off onto the shoulder, switched off the ignition and jumped out of the cab. The camper (BTW, it was all fiberglass!) was blazing, its roof beginning to melt and sag. Someone had already called the fire department, but by the time they arrived the pickup and camper were totalled.

Apparently the propane had leaked from a line connection inside the camper and built up until it reached the level of the fridge pilot light. The conflagration was instantaneous and massive. If anyone had been inside the camper as I drove, they would have been consumed by the flames.

Keep in mind that your propane fridge has a pilot flame, and the propane line connections inside your egg are constantly being shaken and bounced as you drive.

Sure, it's a bit inconvenient to shut off the propane and make other arrangements to keep your food cold for a few hours. But the cost of not doing so could be catastrophic.

I wish you and your eggs many safe miles together.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:20 AM   #17

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Minnesota
Jack, thanks for posting your experience. I have traveled with the frig on propane, maybe I was lucky. I am thinking that it is illegal to travel this way. Does anyone know?
Old 12-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #18

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
I also travel with propane "On" for the refrigerator and Jacks post has got me to thinking..... and an earlier post with 2 liter bottles of frozen water may be a good alternative.
Joe
Old 12-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #19

Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
I must admit that I have towed a variety of trailers, 5th wheels, stickie bumper pulls, pop ups and now a fiberglass one and I have always towed with the propane on, although I was and am aware it isn't a good idea. Up to now I have been blessed and have never had a problem. That said, this post has me rethinking towing with the propane on (aha you maybe can teach an old dog new tricks). There is obvious risk to towing with the propane on, which I have chosen to ignore in the past. When you couple that with the fact that many of us, myself included, are towing trailers that are 25, 30 and, on occasion, even more years old the risk becomes palpable (had to look that one up in the dictionary). I am going to switch to towing with the propane off and some type of ice situation for cooling while traveling. There are many, many places on the road where you can buy packaged ice so I will now use that for cooling on the road. Our fridge has a vegetable keeper and I can place the ice in it and catch any melting water. Making my situation worse is that my Trillium is 31 years old and I bet the PO, and once again myself, has never even looked at the propane system. We on this forum go to great lengths to rewire the electrical systems and make mods to add to the eye appeal but probably most of us never even look at the propane system. I can assure you I am going to examine mine from top to bottom before it's next use. Thanks again to this forum for pointing out something that I desperately needed to remedy before it became a disaster. Lee
Old 12-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #20

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
I've heard most of you saying that it is not a good idea to drive with propane on, but you do it because you basically have no other choice. The EggCamper comes with a 12V only compressor refrigerator. Small but works great. Nothing to worry about at gas station or tunnels. These units are expensive, but worth it.

Art
Old 12-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #21

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
It's interesting to hear the arguments for running with the propane fridge on. Most are something like, I've done it for years without any problems. This reminds of the days when seat belts were first being used, then air bags. "I've driven for years without a seat belt and here I am". Remember it only takes once to mess up your whole day and then some.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by artspe View Post
I've heard most of you saying that it is not a good idea to drive with propane on, but you do it because you basically have no other choice. Art
But as it has been rightly pointed out there are other choices even if you don't have a 12v. They are very small fridges and once they have cooled down they will stay cold for sometime without any help other than a small freezer pack or frozen bottle.

I know my bottle of wine always seems to be cold enough for me to drink when I open the fridge after driving for a number of hours with only a smalll frozen pack in the fridge to keep it cool. :-)
Old 12-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #23

Name: Tom
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
California
Registry
[QUOTE=
I know my bottle of wine always seems to be cold enough for me to drink when I open the fridge after driving for a number of hours with only a smalll frozen pack in the fridge to keep it cool. :-)[/QUOTE]

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #24

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
My 85 Bigfoot has a 3 way fridge and it states in the manual the 12V is specifially for driving between destinations. It is rare however that I drive with the fridge running.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #25

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
One thing to consider is that the larger refrigerators in the big stickies do not have a DC setting. They only have electric or propane. So the owners' only choice while towing is propane. It is only our small trailers with the small refrigerators that have the DC option.

If it were considered a major risk, I am certain that the RV manufacturers would not be allowed to provide them that way.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #26

Name: buddy
Trailer: bigfoot b17/13 boler/15trillium
Ontario
Registry
Fridge on 12V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamid View Post
My 85 Bigfoot has a 3 way fridge and it states in the manual the 12V is specifially for driving between destinations. It is rare however that I drive with the fridge running.
Thank you for the info This is our first rv So I have lots of questions.Trying to get ready for our 40th anniversary trip a 4wk trip to Branson MO Thanks Again Bud & Jean
Old 12-04-2010, 11:33 PM   #27

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy hammond View Post
Thank you for the info This is our first rv So I have lots of questions.Trying to get ready for our 40th anniversary trip a 4wk trip to Branson MO Thanks Again Bud & Jean
This time of the year there's very few places in the US that there is any need to run the fridge while traveling. Also it's a good idea to limit the stuff that will spoil if not kept cold.
I mentioned backpacking several times, but the lessons learned through that activity have done us well in using and enjoying our Scamp. There's lots of great meals that can be prepared without perishable foods. One of the advantages of the trailer you can carry a few more canned items than in my backpack.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #28

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
One thing to consider is that the larger refrigerators in the big stickies do not have a DC setting. They only have electric or propane. So the owners' only choice while towing is propane. It is only our small trailers with the small refrigerators that have the DC option.

If it were considered a major risk, I am certain that the RV manufacturers would not be allowed to provide them that way.
These same manufacturers also state in their manuals that driving with the propane on can be dangerous. The propane option should only be used while stationary, camping without hookups. I would hate to be the person who's trailer fire at a gas station harms another individual. Willful failure to observe precautions maybe considered negligent. I would rather be safe than sorry. It is not worth the risk.

Tags
fridge