Towing with the Fridge on Propane? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
It's interesting to hear the arguments for running with the propane fridge on. Most are something like, I've done it for years without any problems. This reminds of the days when seat belts were first being used, then air bags. "I've driven for years without a seat belt and here I am". Remember it only takes once to mess up your whole day and then some.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by artspe View Post
I've heard most of you saying that it is not a good idea to drive with propane on, but you do it because you basically have no other choice. Art
But as it has been rightly pointed out there are other choices even if you don't have a 12v. They are very small fridges and once they have cooled down they will stay cold for sometime without any help other than a small freezer pack or frozen bottle.

I know my bottle of wine always seems to be cold enough for me to drink when I open the fridge after driving for a number of hours with only a smalll frozen pack in the fridge to keep it cool. :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #23

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
[QUOTE=
I know my bottle of wine always seems to be cold enough for me to drink when I open the fridge after driving for a number of hours with only a smalll frozen pack in the fridge to keep it cool. :-)[/QUOTE]

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #24

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
My 85 Bigfoot has a 3 way fridge and it states in the manual the 12V is specifially for driving between destinations. It is rare however that I drive with the fridge running.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #25

Trailer: Aliner
One thing to consider is that the larger refrigerators in the big stickies do not have a DC setting. They only have electric or propane. So the owners' only choice while towing is propane. It is only our small trailers with the small refrigerators that have the DC option.

If it were considered a major risk, I am certain that the RV manufacturers would not be allowed to provide them that way.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #26

Name: buddy
Trailer: bigfoot b17/13 boler/15trillium
Ontario
Registry
Fridge on 12V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamid View Post
My 85 Bigfoot has a 3 way fridge and it states in the manual the 12V is specifially for driving between destinations. It is rare however that I drive with the fridge running.
Thank you for the info This is our first rv So I have lots of questions.Trying to get ready for our 40th anniversary trip a 4wk trip to Branson MO Thanks Again Bud & Jean
buddy hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:33 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy hammond View Post
Thank you for the info This is our first rv So I have lots of questions.Trying to get ready for our 40th anniversary trip a 4wk trip to Branson MO Thanks Again Bud & Jean
This time of the year there's very few places in the US that there is any need to run the fridge while traveling. Also it's a good idea to limit the stuff that will spoil if not kept cold.
I mentioned backpacking several times, but the lessons learned through that activity have done us well in using and enjoying our Scamp. There's lots of great meals that can be prepared without perishable foods. One of the advantages of the trailer you can carry a few more canned items than in my backpack.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #28

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
One thing to consider is that the larger refrigerators in the big stickies do not have a DC setting. They only have electric or propane. So the owners' only choice while towing is propane. It is only our small trailers with the small refrigerators that have the DC option.

If it were considered a major risk, I am certain that the RV manufacturers would not be allowed to provide them that way.
These same manufacturers also state in their manuals that driving with the propane on can be dangerous. The propane option should only be used while stationary, camping without hookups. I would hate to be the person who's trailer fire at a gas station harms another individual. Willful failure to observe precautions maybe considered negligent. I would rather be safe than sorry. It is not worth the risk.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:54 AM   #29

Name: Rodney
Trailer: Airstream
Florida
Driving with Fridge on LP

Greetings. This is my first post to the forum. I wanted to weigh-in on this topic. I always travel with the refrigerator running on LP. When I was new to camping I tried the ice travel, get the fridge cold first then shut off and go and it did not work for me. The fridge was warm inside five hours later.

This may not apply to all makes and models of refrigerators but, I have a Dometic NEW GENERATION RM 3762. The unit has a fueling shut off switch for gassing an RV (mainly used for motorhomes as it ties into the engine ignition) and it also has an electronic thermocouple switch that stops LP flow. The system allows for testing the switch with each operation. It is not like a stove that keeps the propane flow going in unlit situations. The LP shuts off automatically. Also, if a motorhome application, the unit will shut off for about 15 minutes automatically to put out the flame for fueling in gas stations.

My refrigerator documentation, neither the operations or installation manual mention any danger of traveling with the refrigerator operating on LP. They do give two warnings: 1) that LP can be dangerous and proper connections must be made and 2) that open flames or flammable substances should be kept away from the burner.

Interestingly, reports indicate that most RV fires are caused by overheated wheel bearings, polarity issues on appliances and grounding. My family made me research this topic before using the camper. According to reports, thirty-five percent of all RV fires are electrical shorts and 1/2 of all fires are stationary with the fridge one of the three culprits while stationary. The moving fires were listed as engine, wiring, wheel bearings but no fridges as "primary cause" while moving. I believe this is shared mostly by sources as a safety precaution rather than tied to multiple occurrences.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:05 AM   #30

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Greetings. This is my first post to the forum. I wanted to weigh-in on this topic. I always travel with the refrigerator running on LP. When I was new to camping I tried the ice travel, get the fridge cold first then shut off and go and it did not work for me. The fridge was warm inside five hours later.

This may not apply to all makes and models of refrigerators but, I have a Dometic NEW GENERATION RM 3762. The unit has a fueling shut off switch for gassing an RV (mainly used for motorhomes) and it also has an electronic thermocouple switch that stops LP flow. The system allows for testing the switch with each operation. It is not like your stove that keeps gas flow going even if not lit. The LP shuts off automatically. Also, if a motorhome application, the unit will shut off for about 15 minutes automatically to put out the flame for fueling in gas stations.

My refrigerator documentation, neither the operations or installation manual mention any danger of traveling with the refrigerator operating on LP. They do give two warnings: 1) that LP can be dangerous and proper connections must be made and 2) that open flames or flammable substances should be kept away from the burner.

Interestingly, reports indicate that most RV fires are caused by overheated wheel bearings, polarity issues on appliances and grounding. My family made me research this topic before using the camper. According to reports, thirty-five percent of all RV fires are electrical shorts and 1/2 of all fires are stationary with the fridge one of the three culprits while stationary. The moving fires were listed as engine, wiring, wheel bearings but no fridges as "primary cause" while moving. I believe this is shared mostly by sources as a safety precaution rather than tied to multiple occurrences.
A lot of people get confused conflating motorhomes with travel trailers, but rationalization does mitgate angst.

There is a risk to any choice and many find running propane in transit to be worth the risk, although it is always best to make an objective and informed choice.

Our fridge keeps ice for about 5 days with deep freeze ice bottles and a cold fridge to start. With judicious use, that gives us plenty of time for a leisurely trip from IllAnnoy to Sebring with ice to spare.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:20 AM   #31

Name: abcde
Trailer: noneofyourbusiness
British Columbia
Illegal in Canada...

If you visit Canada, be aware that towing with the propane tank valves open is illegal in pretty well every Canadian province. Increased penalties apply in tunnels and on ferries. And generally, if you're doing something illegal, your insurance company will not honour a claim.

I wouldn't tow with the propane on anywhere. If there was a leak the first indication you'd get was when you see flames in your rear view mirror.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRL001 View Post
If you visit Canada, be aware that towing with the propane tank valves open is illegal in pretty well every Canadian province. Increased penalties apply in tunnels and on ferries. And generally, if you're doing something illegal, your insurance company will not honour a claim.

I wouldn't tow with the propane on anywhere. If there was a leak the first indication you'd get was when you see flames in your rear view mirror.
Then you'd better find another insurance company, Arbitrarily or not, tickets are often issued in conjunction with an accident. So if you speed or fail to honor a road sign, even inadvertently, your insurance will apparently refuse to pay. So you effectively have no insurance.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:51 AM   #33

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
If there was a leak the first indication you'd get was when you see flames in your rear view mirror.
That may be a bit dramatic.

Seems to me the most likely first indication that you have a leak is the smell of propane. A "leak" can be a blown out refrigerator flame and the first indicator is a warm fridge.

Not all leaking propane is indicated by a fire. You can smell propane long before it reaches the concentration in air to be flammable. Of course, that doesn't mean it's safe to have a leak, but it does mean there is more than just a fire to indicate a leak.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:37 AM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
That may be a bit dramatic.

Seems to me the most likely first indication that you have a leak is the smell of propane. A "leak" can be a blown out refrigerator flame and the first indicator is a warm fridge.

Not all leaking propane is indicated by a fire. You can smell propane long before it reaches the concentration in air to be flammable. Of course, that doesn't mean it's safe to have a leak, but it does mean there is more than just a fire to indicate a leak.
You can't smell anything coming from the trailer when you're moving ahead of it while towing. Yes the chances of fire are low, but greater when the tank valve is open rather than closed.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:47 PM   #35

Name: Rodney
Trailer: Airstream
Florida
Wink

I understand there are different thoughts on this and, I understand too that most times, with ANY operation, government laws, like quoted in Canada will follow a just don't use it to avoid any confusion or fine points.

The fact that the manufacturers have these switches and safety devices on the product say to me that it can be used. I know when I start my fridge on LP it starts the light procedure and, if the LP is not available clicks the gas flow off and starts flashing. If the flame goes out it does the same thing. The additional switch off is to stop the flame at gas stations automatically- more an issue for motorhomes. My trailer is usually far from the pump when I gas up.

If I may, on another safety issue that is often ignored, the brake away cable- many people hitch up and do not have a cable that would stop their camper in the case of an uncoupling as it is longer than the safety chains. Just a thought on a different matter. If you want a semi-controllable stop, it would have to disconnect while on chains. I believe what bothers me on safety issues is not the part about being safe but, like someone told me not long ago, "it is against the law to start your RV fridge on un-level ground or not parked." Huh? Local laws not ignored of course.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:26 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
what bothers me on safety issues is not the part about being safe but, like someone told me not long ago, "it is against the law to start your RV fridge on un-level ground or not parked." Huh? Local laws not ignored of course.
Of course it is not against the law, but more than 10-15 degrees off level can damage an RV fridge when running parked.
While towing that is generally not an issue.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:52 PM   #37

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
California
Quote:
If you visit Canada, be aware that towing with the propane tank valves open is illegal in pretty well every Canadian province. Increased penalties apply in tunnels and on ferries.

Well, not exactly.... Camping Canada Campgrounds Canadian Towing Regulations

If it was a significant leak like a broken propane line the internal safety valve that all tanks have nowadays would detect it and shut off the propane.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:44 PM   #38

Name: abcde
Trailer: noneofyourbusiness
British Columbia
Incorrect re Canadian regulations

Well, this is embarassing. I was told by our RV dealer that it was illegal to tow with the propane on anywhere in Canada. Turns out it's not - oops.

Check out RVDA of Canada - Provincial RV Regulations

So my apologies. It's legal. Perhaps inadvisable but that is more of a personal choice ....
Old 08-27-2017, 01:09 AM   #39

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape
British Columbia
Quote:
Well, this is embarassing. I was told by our RV dealer that it was illegal to tow with the propane on anywhere in Canada. Turns out it's not - oops
It must be turned off when boarding a BC ferry.

Quote:
It's legal. Perhaps inadvisable but that is more of a personal choice ....
Take the time learn about the properties of propane as well as the built in safety features of modern RV's and you will be more inclined to drive with it on.
Sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:25 AM   #40

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
So my apologies. It's legal. Perhaps inadvisable but that is more of a personal choice ....
That's the correct answer, it is a personal choice, and a topic that will always go sideways as some folks don't want to accept other peoples choices . Now, is anyone towing with a Pinto?????
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge