Trailer Brakes on a flat four plug - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-19-2006, 12:05 PM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
I guess that the key in deciding what connector to use is that most RVs and most tow vehicles come factory equipped now with the 7 pin Bargman-style connectors. That sort of makes them the defacto RV standard. If you wire your trailer and your tow vehicle to that standard, then you'll be able to use any tow vehicle with that standard with your trailer and vice-versa.

The others may be OK, but you'll either need adapters or a re-wire for each trailer you tow that's different. The 7-pin Bargman standard is quickly and easily reduced to the four-wire flat or five wire flat if need be by adapters that are universally available at auto parts and department stores. It's not so easy to quickly add wires as necessary to bring it up to the Bargman 7-pin standard.

Roger

Old 02-19-2006, 12:14 PM   #16

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1981 17 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Harold Dean
Quote:
Myron
I'm one of these guys that believes that some things are better left to people that know how. In the case of wiring in the brake controller and trailer connector I suggest that a local RV place might be what you want. If you mess up it's you and your trailer, if they mess up it their insurance rates.

I had the wiring done on my TV for the mess up reason above and I don't like messing around under a car. Hate dirt in my eyes. Oh! and I do know about electrons traveling in a piece of copper, so I could have done it.
I guess I am going to have to ring in here with my two cents worth and side with Byron. I am a retired engineer and the later years were involved with sorting things out that were misdone. I adopted a motto years ago to cover this situation and it is "If you don't know what you are doing, don't do it". I have always advised younger engineers, that we old timers are not smarter than they, just more experienced and have made more mistakes and corrected them, so we pretty well know what won't work. We can keep you from going down that dead end and together we can explore the things that might work. Harold

Old 02-19-2006, 01:02 PM   #17

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Good time to throw in this tidbit taken from the tyndall stone facade of a high school I went to........."Knowledge without practise makes but half an artist".......something that I`ll never forget.....Benny
Old 02-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #18

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I too know about them there electrons, BUT, I had someone else do my car/brake controller/charge wiring.

I know enough to know that if even the basics and theories are the same, it's the minor detail that will ruin your day every time. Since I am no specific exoert in auto electric, I let a pro do it.

Besides, it got done faster and it was WAY cheaper than MY hourly rate. I drove away with clean hands and a properly installed system.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:38 PM   #19

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Besides, it got done faster and it was WAY cheaper than MY hourly rate.
Yep. I can't afford Me, either.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:16 PM   #20

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
As a semi-retiree I CAN afford me, and if I do it myself I'll hopefully learn enough to repair it, modify it, and add to it without too much grief. That said, I regret that this country adopted the 110v system and not the 220v. With the higher voltage there is much more exitement when things go wrong, and my wife knows that I LIVE for exitement.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:25 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Umm, if you have 110V involved in the wiring of your brake controller, you are doing something wrong <big grinz>.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:46 PM   #22

Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Obviously, Pete... you've been out of the loop while you were on "vacation" the past couple of months. The latest and greatest is a new controller called the Prodigiously. It's a 110v AC auto/trailer brake controller. It works for up to eight brakes on a trailer, and can stop the trailer on a dime. It just requires a VERY long extension cord!

Roger

Old 02-19-2006, 07:59 PM   #23

Oregon
Registry
Obviously you have both been out of the loop, since the latest model is the Prodigiously X2.

The idea is to have a separate brake controller for each wheel so that the brakes can be used for stability control (as in the Acura RL). The X2 model DOES require either two long extension cords, or one 220v cord. The primary purpose is to allow the operator to separately control the brakes when and if sway occurs. There is, unfortunately, a lengthy training program necessary, since clumsy actuation would quickly get your trailer headed into the adjoining county.

I understand that an X4 model is in the works. Doesn't Frederick's Fiberstream have tandem axles? This would no doubt give him the ultimate in control, and isn't that what we all want?
Old 02-19-2006, 08:40 PM   #24

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I understand that an X4 model is in the works. Doesn't Frederick's Fiberstream have tandem axles? This would no doubt give him [b]the ultimate in control, and isn't that what we all want?
[b]BWA-HA-ha-ha-ha-HA!
My secret quest for domination has been reveiled!

[b]However, I must now perform accupuncture on my on my connector plug! A mere [b]7 pins is not enough!

Old 02-19-2006, 09:49 PM   #25

Oregon
Registry
Speaking of 7 pins: yesterday I replaced the 6-pin, failure-prone connector with a 7-pin Pollak setup.

I have been all bunched up in a knot about what to do with the extra pin, but all of a sudden it hit me: remote turn on of the heater (think: the snow is blowing sideways, lunch is needed, and it is time to turn on the heater BEFORE we stop).

There is a potential here for a Bullards one-upmanship thing: DUAL 7-pin connectors. Now I just have to come up with a set of plausible uses for all that connectivity. But, no problem, really. Trust me.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:11 PM   #26

Iowa
Oh, c'mon Per... any ol' body can do a dual connector... that's a piece of cake... I expect MUCH greater imagination from you... how about totally WIRELESS??? All functions on 802.11g digital? Whaddya say?

Roger
Old 02-19-2006, 11:07 PM   #27

Oregon
Registry
I've been running a wireless fridge thermometer for a long time already, and the rear-view camera cannot be far behind. But this is about APPEARANCES, and wireless is unfortunately out of sight.

A couple of hulking black Pollaks just positively scream "connected" and makes one beg for an explanation, which I would be more than happy to supply. Wireless is for sissies, the hardware is the thing. (Are we still on thread here?)
Old 02-20-2006, 01:14 AM   #28

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I can see the logic is not trying to do something yourself if you don't really have the expertise, but at the same time it is worth understanding what is being done, since "paid to do the work" doesn't really mean "professional". Lots of substandard and even dangerous stuff is done - in many trades - by people who claim to know better than you because they "do it all the time" and they charge to do it.

For Frederick and the non-wireless crowd, I point to a legacy FiberglassRV posting - LiteHouse trailer manual - in which Dena reported that her trailer had a 9-pin connector (scroll down to posts on Jan 02, 2003). I saw a drawing of a 9-pin connector - which appeared to be a variation of the 7-way RV/Bargman design - on a web site but do not have the link at the moment. Think of what Per can control with that!

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes