Trailer chocks and level blocks - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-03-2016, 08:44 AM   #15

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I do the same as Mary...EXCEPT on both sides of the wheel . I only have one axle and the full 10-block stack of "Legos". I love'em. I too will lay an extra (or two depending on how many you have to level with) on each side of the blocks and use my usual plastic chocks. It's worked well for 6 yrs.

I'm also with Haggy (Radar) that you only should have to level one wheel from left to right...then of course the bumper jack to level fore and aft.

What ever you do, do NOT level with "leveling" jacks installed on the trailer unless they're designated to. I had an instance (and saw another in 2015) where I was relying too much on my leveling jack. It put my 13' Scamp in a bind and caused the A/C's fan to "scrub"!! After releveling and taking most of the pressure off the leveling jacks, it stopped. Again, at Piney in Oct of 2015, I saw this happen on a new 2015 16' Scamp. A gentleman was asking me about it. I told him when he let it down and hooked it up to the tow, to test the A/C before unplugging the power. He did and it stopped his scrubbing as well... two totally different A/C units - Coleman and Dometic.

Good luck as this was one if not the most frustrating tasks of my trailer- until my blocks!! The (Bal) is good...just wont work for me.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #16

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Do not put any stress on that bumper. The metal is too thin and the welds will break. If it had any strength I'm sure Casita would have mounted the spare tire there. It's only meant to carry the sewer hose.

Mine is a Bigfoot, though I'm not sure it matters. But my spare tire carrier is on my bumper, so it might be stronger.

Either way the more I thought about that the less likely I am to do it. Remembering how much I used to drag the rear bumper of my Chinook, I don't think I want anything hanging down under there on this trailer. And Glen made me realize that I don't even need to buy new scissor jacks.

My problem was that with my new straight axle, the scissor jacks weren't tall enough anymore. But with my extra leveling blocks, I'll probably be able to fix that. Who knows...The less they're extended, the more stable they are, so I may buy some taller ones anyways. But I think I'll use the camper a few times with the ones I've got then decide.

That Anderson Leveler that Radar posted looks really nice...but for now, I think I've got what I need. I'll use the Lynx stuff for this summer and see what I think.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:10 AM   #17

Montana
Registry
Thanks everyone.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #18

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Darral, I believe that you have "Stabilizer" jacks on your Scamp, and their location and designed strength should only be used to keep the trailer suspension from cycling while one is walking around inside the trailer, and not to be used to level the trailer. Scissor jacks are capable of lifting 5,000 lbs. or more depending on the make/style, and are mounted on the frame as close to the axle mounting point as possible, to keep the frame from distorting/twisting as what you were describing in your situation. I had scissor jack mounted to our Scamp's reinforced frame when I had a new axle installed. They work great, but except for having to carry around the heavy bulky Ball leveler, it looks like it would be your answer.
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01346.jpg   DSC01349.jpg  

DSC01350.jpg   DSC01353.jpg  

Old 03-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #19

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
I have used all sorts of blocks for leveling over the years but I have found the Anderson is the easiest and best by far, add a large level to the front of your trailer that you can see from the drivers seat and it is a one shot set up.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:21 PM   #20

Name: Grant
Trailer: Escape 17b 2006
British Columbia
Anderson levellers

Just picked up a pair of Anderson levelers we have been using them for the past six weeks while on the road makes life so much simpler and easier would recommend them to anybody although the highest you can raise it is 4 inches it's still been good enough for us and we've been camping in the desert etc.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #21

Montana
Registry
Has anyone used the Anderson Rapid Jack? Seems to me that with the chock, it's basically the same as the leveler, except you can get 8" instead of 4" height...with the added bonus of it being a jack, too, to get the trailer up hopefully high enough to throw jack stands under.

Not too late to just return the Lynx stuff I bought...
Old 03-03-2016, 02:52 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Then there is this setup available at Camping World.
Lock-N-Stop Chock - Prime Engineered Plastics Corp RKCW819008 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World
Old 03-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #23

Montana
Registry
Thanks.

Looks like the Lynx setup only cheaper.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #24

Montana
Registry
Well I returned the Lynx system (actually it hadn't shipped yet so I just cancelled it), and ordered the Andersen Rapid Jack along with two chocks. That'll give me up to almost 8" of leveling ability, plus chocks.

Unless my job ends up starting earlier, I'll be spending most of April down in the desert so I'll let you know what I think of that setup.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:40 PM   #25

Montana
Registry
Well, the Andersen Rapid Jack has been working really well for me. Super easy, especially when I'm leveling by myself.

Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4170.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	94397
Old 04-19-2016, 06:16 PM   #26

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
I'm with Raz on this. Been camping, in one rig or another, for more'n 50yrs & have never used anything 'cept scrap wood/lumber for leveling.
I used wood for a long time until I got the Scamp. Stopped using it for 3 reasons:

1) weight & storage - does not pack up a neatly as the lego blocks
2) travel across the border a lot - carrying wood across the line is not a good thing.
3) I once had a party push off the doorway of the Scamp causing the trailer to slip right off some very wet wood blocks. Wood is probable ok with heavier trailers that are hard to move but perhaps not so good on lighter trailers.

The OP will find lots of uses for lego blocks in addition to levelling the trailer. Put them under the tongue jack when parking the trailer with the tongue on a downhill sloop so your sure to be able to get it up high enough to get the ball on or off. Put them under the tongue jack and rear stabilizers when parked in sand or gravel to keep them from sinking into the ground. Levelling outside tables. I have even used them to build a step up! Handy little things to have.

As far as levelling the trailer goes I currently have my eye on the Anderson system.... nothing easier than that!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:54 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Well, the Andersen Rapid Jack has been working really well for me. Super easy, especially when I'm leveling by myself.

Thanks.

Attachment 94397
I also switched to the Anderson Rapid Jack but because of some of the places I have camped I knew RV version would not always be high enough to level my Scamp so I purchased the Semi Truck version. It does not come with the extra chock, just the comma shaped one that's much larger than the RV version. I haven't found a camp site where it was not high enough yet. I sure that day will come though.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:50 AM   #28

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Rowland View Post
I also switched to the Anderson Rapid Jack but because of some of the places I have camped I knew RV version would not always be high enough to level my Scamp so I purchased the Semi Truck version. It does not come with the extra chock, just the comma shaped one that's much larger than the RV version. I haven't found a camp site where it was not high enough yet. I sure that day will come though.
I have a driveway that sloops down and sideways - wondered if one could just use the Anderson on top of a long layer of legos..... or would that be asking for trouble? slip?

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote