Trailer chocks and level blocks - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #21

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Has anyone used the Anderson Rapid Jack? Seems to me that with the chock, it's basically the same as the leveler, except you can get 8" instead of 4" height...with the added bonus of it being a jack, too, to get the trailer up hopefully high enough to throw jack stands under.

Not too late to just return the Lynx stuff I bought...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:52 PM   #22

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Then there is this setup available at Camping World.
Lock-N-Stop Chock - Prime Engineered Plastics Corp RKCW819008 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World
Thom Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #23

Montana
Thanks.

Looks like the Lynx setup only cheaper.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #24

Montana
Well I returned the Lynx system (actually it hadn't shipped yet so I just cancelled it), and ordered the Andersen Rapid Jack along with two chocks. That'll give me up to almost 8" of leveling ability, plus chocks.

Unless my job ends up starting earlier, I'll be spending most of April down in the desert so I'll let you know what I think of that setup.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #25

Montana
Well, the Andersen Rapid Jack has been working really well for me. Super easy, especially when I'm leveling by myself.

Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4170.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	94397
Old 04-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
I'm with Raz on this. Been camping, in one rig or another, for more'n 50yrs & have never used anything 'cept scrap wood/lumber for leveling.
I used wood for a long time until I got the Scamp. Stopped using it for 3 reasons:

1) weight & storage - does not pack up a neatly as the lego blocks
2) travel across the border a lot - carrying wood across the line is not a good thing.
3) I once had a party push off the doorway of the Scamp causing the trailer to slip right off some very wet wood blocks. Wood is probable ok with heavier trailers that are hard to move but perhaps not so good on lighter trailers.

The OP will find lots of uses for lego blocks in addition to levelling the trailer. Put them under the tongue jack when parking the trailer with the tongue on a downhill sloop so your sure to be able to get it up high enough to get the ball on or off. Put them under the tongue jack and rear stabilizers when parked in sand or gravel to keep them from sinking into the ground. Levelling outside tables. I have even used them to build a step up! Handy little things to have.

As far as levelling the trailer goes I currently have my eye on the ... nothing easier than that!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Well, the Andersen Rapid Jack has been working really well for me. Super easy, especially when I'm leveling by myself.

Thanks.

Attachment 94397
I also switched to the Anderson Rapid Jack but because of some of the places I have camped I knew RV version would not always be high enough to level my Scamp so I purchased the Semi Truck version. It does not come with the extra chock, just the comma shaped one that's much larger than the RV version. I haven't found a camp site where it was not high enough yet. I sure that day will come though.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:50 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Rowland View Post
I also switched to the Anderson Rapid Jack but because of some of the places I have camped I knew RV version would not always be high enough to level my Scamp so I purchased the Semi Truck version. It does not come with the extra chock, just the comma shaped one that's much larger than the RV version. I haven't found a camp site where it was not high enough yet. I sure that day will come though.
I have a driveway that sloops down and sideways - wondered if one could just use the Anderson on top of a long layer of legos..... or would that be asking for trouble? slip?
Old 04-20-2016, 02:42 AM   #29

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I have a driveway that sloops down and sideways - wondered if one could just use the Anderson on top of a long layer of legos..... or would that be asking for trouble? slip?
Capitalize the word slip.....
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:11 AM   #30

Montana
Yeah I wouldn't do that.

The rapid jack even comes with a rubber "grip", to give extra traction for using on pavement.

I bought the rapid jack and two chocks. The Andersen leveler only gave 4" of leveling so I went with the rapid jack to get 8". Worked for me so far.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:23 AM   #31

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Curious, Zach... when using the Anderson leveler without a spotter, can you feel when it's reaching the top? Have you ever run off the back?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #32

Quote:
Unless it is a really severe side slope, I don't think a layer of "Lego" blocks would be necessary. I sometimes park my Scamp in a driveway that slopes down and to one side and I do not need any blocks under the Anderson. It would depend on how severe the side slope is. Don't know if I would advise using the Anderson on top of Lego blocks but I have never tried it so I can't say if it would work well or not.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #33

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Curious, Zach... when using the Anderson leveler without a spotter, can you feel when it's reaching the top? Have you ever run off the back?
Actually I can see it, well enough. I can see just enough with my side-views that's it's fairly obvious. There's still a possibility of dropping off the back but I think with care it should be pretty easy to avoid.

I just go slow and get out and check the level pretty often.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Rowland View Post
Unless it is a really severe side slope, I don't think a layer of "Lego" blocks would be necessary. I sometimes park my Scamp in a driveway that slopes down and to one side and I do not need any blocks under the Anderson.
Its a 6" side to side drop and my understanding is the Anderson will only give a 4" lift. Its also has a 21" tongue to rear bumper drop....

Thanks all for confirming that my initial thought that using the Anderson on top of legos for extra height is not a good one, which is why I have not tried it.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Capitalize the word slip.....
Yup thats what I though but now that I have dual axle trailer I am having to use A LOT of blocks to build the ramp up for it.... had though the use of a couple of Anderson's MIGHT help on that front but was to worried to try it.

Plan to pick up a couple of Anderson's for general camping though!
Old 04-20-2016, 02:21 PM   #36

Montana
This is why I went with the Andersen Rapid Jack. 7" of leveling.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
This is why I went with the Andersen Rapid Jack. 7" of leveling.
Unfortunately that does not work as a level for a dual axle trailer as it will not fit between the tires - well that is what I was told at the local trailer dealer and E-trailer seems to agree.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:00 PM   #38

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Carol, your driveway sounds like one of the sites we saw at Lake Pleasant. It was a gorgeous, large site with perfect lake views, but sloped front-to-back and side-to-side. The day we left a large, dual axle sticky moved in and was sitting cock-eyed. Apparently they ran out of leveling blocks. The tongue was buried at ground level, wheels on blocks, and there was still a significant tilt on both axes. You sure wouldn't want anything to slip there, either- it was downhill into the lake!

At least once you figure out how to level it at home, you'll have 95% of campsites covered!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:02 PM   #39

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
I had some what the same problem at one house. I built a ramp out of 2x10 or 12s for the low side that I could back up on for home storage. Worked out fine and was cheap to build. I didn't need it at the next house......I'm pretty sure the ramp ended up in the fire drum .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:40 PM   #40

Montana
Quote:
Unfortunately that does not work as a level for a dual axle trailer as it will not fit between the tires - well that is what I was told at the local trailer dealer and E-trailer seems to agree.
Ah, so it will work as a jack for tandem axle trailers, but not a level?

Oh well.

I will probably buy a couple lego blocks for stabilizer pads, but for leveling, the Andersen is really, really nice.