Trailer insurance? (Canada) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2016, 10:02 PM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: Surfside
Alberta
Trailer insurance? (Canada)

Hi,
Having gotten a 77 Surfside, my wife had called TD Insurance (in Canada) to get our trailer on our insurance plan. The company stated that they would not insure a trailer that was over 25 years old.
We were wondering if anyone have gotten insurance in Canada, or specifically Alberta, for a vintage trailer?
Thanks!
Jason
seawardfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:58 PM   #2

Name: Charlie & Renée
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Hi Jason,
We're in BC and had no questions asked. No problem.
Charlie
van de Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I have my 1974 Boler insured at appraised value in Calgary. It is through my home / auto insurance by Intact. The fully accepted the appraiser report and it is insured for that value, annual cost is reasonable but do read the fine print. When our trailers are not in use they have to be checked every 30 days, so while mine are in storage I do check regularly (far more often than 30 days) and take pictures with time stamps as proof.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
Ontario
I would call them again. I have a 1976 boler on my insurance with TD insurance. No problem. Talk higher in the chain. To my knowledge there is no age limit.
slimmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
Vintage trailer Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawardfamily View Post
Hi,
Having gotten a 77 Surfside, my wife had called TD Insurance (in Canada) to get our trailer on our insurance plan. The company stated that they would not insure a trailer that was over 25 years old.
We were wondering if anyone have gotten insurance in Canada, or specifically Alberta, for a vintage trailer?
Thanks!
Jason
Hi: We have insured vintage Bolers, etc through CAA, and home/auto policies with Wawanesa with no problems. That was in Alberta and New Brunswick. The CAA was the most reasonable in cost.
Cheers, Barb
Barb & Bob MacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #6

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
When buying that insurance, make sure you buy the RV towing insurance as well. If you tow vehicle breaks down and you do not have RV tow insurance they will leave your rv on the side of the road unless you are willing to pay for it.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
As Ontarioans, we have had no problems insuring our '73 Boler. We carry a 'loss or damage' insurance policy; and, have carefully checked our tow vehicle insurance to make sure we are also covered for any damages, etc. caused by our trailer leaving the tow vehicle and itself being involved in damages, etc. to others. And, as Claire has reminded everyone, make certain your roadside recovery insurance (i.e. - Towing CAA, or whatever) covers recovery of your trailer, too. We've towed, carried, etc. several (9) different RV's since the 1960's, and have always been concerned about these three avenues of protection both to us, and to others we 'encounter'. but, - YMMV !! ---- AND - we always make sure our insurance applies to our international travel - (USA for us).
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:11 PM   #8

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I'm with TD Meloche Monnex, they seems very happy to have my Boler 72 included when renewing my vehicles'. Currently with the purchase value. As per Ian's message, I may should also think about 1) the "appraiser value", because in progress restoration will cost about the same amount; 2) other options such as towing, etc.
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:48 AM   #9

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
No problem with TD Insurance, have called several times and each time they indicated there was no problem with the coverage on the Trillium, contents is on home policy, the rest is covered through auto.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #10

Name: Jason
Trailer: Surfside
Alberta
Thanks everyone! Will have to talk to them again. Fingers crossed!
seawardfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:38 AM   #11

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I have dealt with the same issue on motorcycles, after having 4 different companies go out of business that dealt with Antiques, I went to my regular insurance company(house cars, boat,trailer, newer Motorcycle) and was told no we cant cover it. I then reminded them politely how many things I had insured with them, and asked if they could contact their underwriter and come up with a policy, guess what 2 days later they called back with a policy, and it was actually cheaper than what I had been paying. The key thing is to have an appraisal done so you can prove the value.
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:17 PM   #12

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
As per Joe's message "The key thing is to have an appraisal done so you can prove the value", anyone has any idea about how to get one in Calgary? Should ask insurance company for a 'approved' appraiser or just google one?
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:49 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBoler72 View Post
As per Joe's message "The key thing is to have an appraisal done so you can prove the value", anyone has any idea about how to get one in Calgary? Should ask insurance company for a 'approved' appraiser or just google one?
Here my insurance company (Intact) said they will send their own (or contracted) appraiser when our restorations are complete and we're ready to hit the road and have the trailer fully insured.

My only concern is if the appraiser will fully understand the value of these old trailers.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBoler72 View Post
Hi Eric, I am in Calgary and can send you the contact information for the appraiser who did my Boler. I will just have to go through my files and dig it up.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote