Trailer tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #1

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Trailer tires

I just picked up some new trailer tires and found they were not balanced. Is this common practice?
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I was told at the tire place that they don't balance trailer tires the first time I bought replacements. This time around I'm going to ask to have them balanced and see if there is any difference. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Never heard of that

I have towed trailers for more years than I care to count and any time I purchased new, the dealer always balanced them once installed on the rim. Can't imagine the damage an out of balance tire could cause to trailer and cargo. BTW, my current dealer won't include warranties with any tire not properly balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I was told at the tire place that they don't balance trailer tires the first time I bought replacements. This time around I'm going to ask to have them balanced and see if there is any difference. Raz
J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I am told it is common practice to NOT balance trailer tires. I just pay extra for them to do it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
I just picked up some new trailer tires and found they were not balanced. Is this common practice?
Why would/How could "New Trailer Tires" be balanced anyway. They can't be balanced until they are mounted on rims.

FWIW: Just today I bought a pair of new 4.80 x 12" trailer tires, already mounted on new rims, and they both had balancing weights on them already.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
There is a lot of bad information out there when it comes to towing and trailers. Trailer tires should always be balanced.
It reduces wear and tear and stress on the trailer axles, mounting hardware, the trailer structure and contents.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Eastern Marine sells rim with mounted tire. They do not balance. So first time out with new rims and tires it ain't 1 stop shopping. I take mine to Pep Boys on the right coast and would do the same with new rubber alone although I might mount them myself. Don't allow the level of support or nonsupport of these discount ops make you lazy. You'll pound them to death without wheel weights. Get them balanced!

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #8

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Considering how badly some cars I have driven vibrated after losing a wheel weight or getting snow packed in a rim I would always balance the trailer tires.

In the car I can feel the vibration and know how bad it is. if same amount of out of balance was back under the trailer it would be much harder to know.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Balanced tires means your stuff doesn't fly around in the trailer nearly as much (less spills in the fridge) and fewer screws back out of whatever they are holding in place............

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I am told it is common practice to NOT balance trailer tires. I just pay extra for them to do it.
Ditto, I had to tell them to balance them.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:06 AM   #11

Connecticut
I called them up ad was told they don't normally balance trailer tires. I responded, "you can't or won't?" And they backed down and agreed to balance them.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:45 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
My local tire shop has always balanced the trailer tires for me. Never a question.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #13

Connecticut
I took the tires back to be balanced, and they balanced them using the hub, not the lugs.

I challenged the manager on the issue and he told me this is the way they balance tires. I told him it was not the way trailer tires are balanced. After first telling me this was the only way, he backed down and had his guy do it properly with a five pronged thingambob and he added a significant amount of weight, on both sides of the rim. Two wheel weights per tire. I hope that does it. Frankly I don't trust the tire shop much.

In any event, I now have two new tires Load Range D tires, two new springs--raising it up more than 2", two new hubs with new bearings, races and seals, new submersible LED tail-lights--which still need to be wired up, two guide boards. Once the wiring is done I can try to register it. This trailer was never registered in any state ever--I checked before buying this boat.

It may present some difficulty with registration--I went through this process once before and I had to go through the DMV Commissioner's office and they made an appointment with a nice police lieutenant who took care of me. The typical government working can't understand how to make an exception.

I plan to bring an envelope with all my receipts to show this trailer was not worth much when I started this process. I will haul it down there on a bigger trailer to avoid temporary tag fees.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #14

If your wheels are mounted "Hub Centric", this is, fit snugly on the center hub, they should be balanced from the hub. If they at "Lug Centric" the adapter is usually used. On the three trailers in my driveway, only one is hub centric.

However, that sounds like a lot of weight to have to add for any tire.

BTW: Please tell us how you got a 50 state registration/title search done.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #15

Connecticut
They are not hub centric--they are a bit loose. They put a single weight on with the hub balance. Frankly I didn't trust they were doing a serious job. My wheels are hot dip galvanized and I would think the coating would tend to throw off the balance a bit. These are beefy 8 ply tires too.

They added two small weights to each wheel.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:32 PM   #16

Connecticut
The fifty state search is a standard Car Fax type search.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:41 PM   #17

Not showing up in CarFax is no proof of never being registered. Even with 17 digit VIN, some states stop reporting on trailers after a given age or period of non-registration.

I doubt if your DMV will have any interest in a blank CarFax report, CA doesn't...

Old 04-22-2014, 11:49 PM   #18

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
It's common to not balance trailer tires. I have it done on mine.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:53 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I have it done on mine.
Trying to wrap my head around this. You mean you have not done it on yours?

Well, at least it's a diversion from "can I tow".

baglo
Old 04-23-2014, 12:19 AM   #20

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
No, I mean I have it done on mine.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires