trailer weight , tire pressure , sagging axle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2003, 12:22 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
trailer weight , tire pressure , sagging axle

I just weighed my (new to me) 1990 16 ft. Scamp (with bath, 2 propane tanks and battery and empty water and holding tanks). With 210 pounds on the tongue and 1780 on the wheels it came to an even 2000 pounds. Surprisingly each wheel weighed within 20 pounds of the other. Nice balance job Scamp.

Today I purchased Goodyear radials on Scamp's recommendation. (st175-80-r13 load range C-- at $41.80 each.) One tire taken off was original, way too old to be safe. The dealer immediately filled the new tires to 50 psi. I phoned Goodyear and they recommended 30 psi at 1000 pounds load and 35 psi at 1100 pounds load per wheel. The extra is for the weight of my stuff and liquids to be added. Maybe more when I see how much stuff I can cram inside. Scamp recommends 30 psi on a sticker above the wheel.

The previous owner may have ignored Scamp's recommendation to put the trailer on blocks for the winter. The clearance between the top of the tire and wheel well is only 2 inches, but there are no skid marks on the wheel well surface, so I hope I will be OK for awhile before I have to order a new axle. Anyone know how much clearance there is on a new trailer?

Anyway thanks for all your posts. I have learned a lot from your experience. See you camping this Summer.

john the toymaker

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 05:41 AM   #2

Scamp Wheel Clearance

Hi, John

Sorry, I don't have a Scamp so I can't answer your question. Thought I would bring this back up to the top so that others can see it!

Old 05-17-2003, 11:40 AM   #3

Axle

There is about 3 inches between the top of the tire and wheelwell on my 2000 Scamp 16. A better indicator of sagging axle might be the trailing arm angle on the axle - on my trailer the trailing arms are more-or-less paralell to the ground when the trailer is loaded and ready for the road. My trailer weighs about 2500 pounds ready for the road.

-- Dan Meyer

Tags
axle, weighing, weight