Trailer weights thread - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2016, 06:27 PM   #1

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Trailer weights thread

With apologies. I should have bookmarked it long ago, but would someone please post a link to the trailer weights post, and many thanks.

Walt
Old 10-09-2016, 06:34 PM   #2

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
With apologies. I should have bookmarked it long ago, but would someone please post a link to the trailer weights post, and many thanks.

Walt
This one?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post217169

Cheers,
Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:48 PM   #3

SW Virginia
That's the one Jim. Many thanks. Hope to see you at Pineknot.

Walt
Old 10-09-2016, 08:09 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
And there is at least one spreadsheet that make the data much easier to work with...
http://lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xls
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:21 PM   #5

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
That's the one Jim. Many thanks. Hope to see you at Pineknot.

Walt
Hi Walt,

Clare and I will be there - sleeping in our Dodge Caravan for now.
Hope to get a tour of your Bigfoot!

Cheers,
Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #6

SW Virginia
Private tour guaranteed. I didn't realize you didn't do it last year.

Walt
Old 10-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:

Walt
Every trailer will weigh differently; depending on options and how much stuff you take along. You need to actually weigh yours to know for sure.

The charts etc, will give you a ballpark range ... which is probably "Close Enough for All Practical Purposes"
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Go to a highway weight scale, the differences between the same unit can be significant.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:08 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The "Trailer Weights in the Real World" thread has value as it gives you a range of weights for your trailer. That's all it claims to do.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's a 13' Boler for sale on Fiberglass-4-Sale. There's three Boler weights in Frederick's Real World thread. The ad says it weighs 800 lbs, the three Bolers range from 1300lbs to 2200lbs loaded for camping. This not only tells us the seller doesn't have a clue, but folks who own Bolers pack amounts of items totally different.

So as Glenn says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
The "Trailer Weights in the Real World" thread has value as it gives you a range of weights for your trailer. That's all it claims to do.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Go to a highway weight scale, the differences between the same unit can be significant.
I don't know if highway scales are accurate enough for what you want, but could be a quick way to get overall and axle weights.

A feed store or grain elevator scale may be willing to let you take the time to get individual axle weights on TV and trailer.
If you can, unhitch the trailer on the scale to get total gross trailer weight.
Then subtract the trailer axle weight for the hitch weight.

Take this from an engineer who worked at weighing heavy earthmoving machines.

Be sure the approach and departure aprons are level with the scale platform so everything sits level as you weigh each axle.
Do not hold the brakes or turn the steering . Put transmission in neutral.
Your most accurate reading will be with the whole rig on the scale at once.
Your individual axle weights should add up to within 1/2% of the total rig weight.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:30 PM   #12

Alberta
Sounds good to me Wayne. Your thoughts on my approach please? I weighed my tow vehicle on the highway weigh scales just south of Calgary. Next I weighed tow vehicle with my trailer attached. The difference would be my tongue weight? Then I weighed my trailer dry and again when loaded. The dry weight was within 5 Kg of the dry weight listed in the manual. The GVW was far less than the max listed in the manual. After weighing my trailer, I stepped on the scale with my trailer and it increased by 80 Kg which tells me the scale is reasonably accurate. Cheers,
Old 10-11-2016, 03:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Sounds good to me Wayne. Your thoughts on my approach please? I weighed my tow vehicle on the highway weigh scales just south of Calgary. Next I weighed tow vehicle with my trailer attached. The difference would be my tongue weight? Then I weighed my trailer dry and again when loaded. The dry weight was within 5 Kg of the dry weight listed in the manual. The GVW was far less than the max listed in the manual. After weighing my trailer, I stepped on the scale with my trailer and it increased by 80 Kg which tells me the scale is reasonably accurate. Cheers,
Sounds right. I woud be surprised if the hwy scales can measure and closer than to the nearest 50 kg (100 lb) But, with modern scales using stain gauges instead of balace beams they could be down to plus or minus 5 kg.

If you weigh the TV with trailer attached, but the trailer wheels off the scale, yes, the difference is the added tongue weight. I hope you did not have the brakes on.
You know that the Tongue (hitch) weight acting behind the rear axle takes weight off the front wheels. You can calculate how much by multiplying the hitch weight times the distance from hitch ball to rear axle divided by the wheel base of the TV. And, the amount taken off the front is added to the rear axle.
That is called "weight transfer"
If your TV is front wheel drive, you lose traction. If rear wheel drive, you gain traction. You can reduce from tire pressures and increase rear tire pressure to compensate for the changes in load. ..... Have Fun!
Old 10-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #14

Alberta
Thanks Wayne. Enjoy your travels.

Tags
weight