trillium 5500 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 5500
I recently aquired this Trillim 5500, and have been checking thru it over the past few weeks for potential interior mods I want to do over the winter.

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has one, because mine has no front window on the door side -- all the others I have seen have windows on both sides at the front. Papers outlining original specs are still on the closet door, and as far as we know it has only had two owners, neither of whom did any major mods to it, aside from some new flooring and new decals.

All the other windows appear as original, and having been over the body on the ouside, I can't see any evidence of a fiberglass repair where the window would have been -- if there is, they've done a heck of a job! I did find evidence of there having been an exterior hatch access to the under-seat storage in the back, which was done fairly well, but still apparent for those giving the body a good going over.

Any observations from other trillium 5500 owners or historians appreciated!

Name:   038_1.JPG
Views: 204
Size:  39.0 KB
[attachment=13626:052_1.
JPG]
Attached Thumbnails
052_1.JPG  
Attached Images

Janice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
from your sheet there appears to be a few differences, mine has an instamatic fridge, no air conditioner, a Progressive Dynamics converter, and has orange tim, with your "missing" window
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #3

Quote:
from your sheet there appears to be a few differences, mine has an instamatic fridge, no air conditioner, a Progressive Dynamics converter, and has orange tim, with your "missing" window
Thanks Joe, Re. the trim it looks like the standard trim was on at one point, but was replaced to match a cushion cover re-do -- I can actually see the ghost outline of the "Trillium 5500" lettering on the side, underneath the current trim.
Janice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:05 PM   #4

Hi Janice!
I welcome another 'newbie Trillium 5500 owner' ! Mine also has the front curbside window (8 in total: Large front & rear, one bathroom, one kitchen, plus one curbside and one driver side window in the front and rear dinette areas) Got mine 4 months ago, and, besides a LOT of measuring, dreaming, serious contemplation, all I managed to get done before the snows hit was to remove, change out and re-seal both roof vents. What a job!!! Took me 4-5 hours atop a ladder just to get the many, many layers (ineffective at best) of several types of sealant that had been piled on top of the bathroom vent to roof join. Almost as long for the main roof vent. Seems to have accomplished what I set out to...no leaks as yet. (Fingers crossed!) Now it's so cold out, I can do no more until spring. (Discovered the hard way that my 'Trudy Truillium' is too tall to fit through my garage door into my 4 car garage. So....can't work on her over the winter as I'd planned. Darn!) Are you planning to do the work on yours by yourself, as I must? I'm planning to pull and re-do the wiring, as well as replacing all water lines; buy new tires with a new spare too. Also, I'd like to change out the existing countertop with an arborite or formica one. All of which will be a miracle upon completion, given that I have zero experience and precious little knowledge . What I do have going for me is a strong determination and a seemingly endless source of energy (when it's something I want to do that is! )
Here's to you!! Have fun. Please share your retrofits/renovations/refurbishing with the rest of us Trillium 5500 owners. We're interested...a lot!!
Cheers!
Valerie
Valerie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
Hi Janice and Valerie - I also picked up a 5500 this year - she needs a total restoration and I have not touched it in months - I look forward to the spring so I can get rolling... I'm looking forward to seeing your trailers! Cheers, Al
Attached Thumbnails
trillhome1.JPG  
Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Gilbert
Quote:
Hi Janice and Valerie - I also picked up a 5500 this year - she needs a total restoration and I have not touched it in months - I look forward to the spring so I can get rolling... I'm looking forward to seeing your trailers! Cheers, Al
Hello fellow 5500'ers.I'm glad to see this thread.I recently,(Sept.2007)sold my 1980 Boler and was lucky to find the larger Trillium 5500. It was built in 1981. I used it once in October and it fits me well.
I'm very pleased to post a picture up here with yours.I'm planning on going to the Emily Park FG
Rally near Peterborough,Ontario in July 2008.I went last year and learned a lot about Bolers. Now I want to learn more about Trilliums,especially the 5500.
Looking forward to spring to work on it. My garage is too small to get it in even if I let air out of the tires ore put on smaller wheels to back it in the garage.

Happy Trails,

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Trillium_5500_1981.jpg  
Jeff Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:04 PM   #7

Registry
Hi everyone! I hadn't checked this site for a while and then... there you were... Trillium 5500 people!

I thought I posted this message a couple of hours ago but it doesn't seem to be appearing.... If this is redundant please excuse me. I bought my Trill in October this year and only had a chance to use it once before it had to be winterized. I think it's in great shape... everything works just great! I noticed the oven pilot wasn't working, I'll have to try to fix it. My Trill is a 1981 with blue striping and all the 'normal' windows. I believe I'm the third owner. One of them took out the main cabin roof vent and put in a piece of pexiglass. I'm going to try to install a vent fan.

I've been working on changing things just a bit inside. My husband and I will use the Trill occasionally but most of the time I'll use it to travel around the area doing dog trials. I've made 'warm windows' roman shades for all the windows (haven't figured out what to do with bath window just yet) and I've cut a board to change the front dinette into a u-shape. I've added a 24"x24" table on a pedestal and reupholstered all the cushions. To make the seating under the front window comfy I made new side cushions that run all the way around the dinette, just under the windows. I know... PICTURES!

In my remodeling I've come across a few questions...

It's too cold and no water but, I'd like to clean and brighten the insulating wall covering. Suggestions?
Has anyone painted over the wood print paper on the cabinets? Mine is faded but generally good shape, just coming up a bit near the sink.

As soon as I get a chance I'll attach some 'before and after' for you all. Helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #8

A Fantastic fan will fit in the original hole, they make a special trim kit for our thin shelled campers.
Just ask for it.
I put a maxx-air vent shield over it, so I don't have to worry about rain.
make sure you get the reversing fan, it's a must when you burn your toast in the morning.

I washed my insulation (elephant hide) with Butcher's speedball original, then rinsed well.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:09 AM   #9

Registry
Thanks, Joe. I've never heard of Butcher's Speedball Original. Where do you find it? Big box harware? Walmart?

And another question... we'll dry camp a bunch. Solar or generator? I have neither and would like to do one or the other. My first preference would be solar... would rather listen to a river going by than the generator. Installation of a panel or two on top of the Trill... any problems?

Helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:44 PM   #10

try this:

Butcher's North America Contact Information

By Phone:

Butcher's Corporate
800-795-9550

Butcher's Tech Service
800-225-9475

Butcher's Customer Service