Trillium body seam gasket? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
buk

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
Florida
Trillium body seam gasket?

The initial flaw I noticed with my new Trillium, is the modified body seam gasket. My camper at some point has definitely been painted, as you can see the chartreuse or lime green peeping out in certain spots.

Whatever is holding this together, in place of the original gasket, sits flush with the body. Evidently it also has some dilapidating steel screws Incorporated or something similar, as rust streaks run down the sides in certain spots. I think this is probably one of the first things I should repair or figure out.

Does anyone have a clue? Is it possible to still purchase a new gasket or is this something I will have to figure out on my own?

I have already started making a list of the different stainless screws and bolts to purchase as replacement for existing Hardware on the camper that is deteriorated
buk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
buk

Florida
Some close ups
Attached Thumbnails
20160721_094132.jpg   20160721_094118.jpg  

Old 07-21-2016, 10:24 AM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
It looks like the person who removed the original molding strip and filled in the gap behind it didn't removed the metal plates the pop rivets attached to. I suspect they are what is giving you rust stains.

I removed my molding strip and fiberglassed the joint all the way around. When possible I removed the metal plates, but some had to remain inside. For those I packed lots of thickened resin around them. Hopefully they will not continue to rust away!

I think you will have to dig for the plates and remove them and then glass in the holes.
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:24 PM   #4

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Looking at the pictures it looks like what ever the previous owner used to seal the crack was not what should have been used and it's has shrunk, cracked and peeled.. I would suggest you dig all that out remove the metal pieces and fiberglass the crack properly.. I've done it on several and just got done doing another one and it's not that hard to do.. Since your camper has been painted you want have to worry about sanding through the gelcoat and can re-paint it when you get thru fixing it.....
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:57 PM   #5
buk

Florida
It appears to be some type of caulk...yuck!

Is it not feasible to return to original?
Old 07-21-2016, 01:05 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by buk View Post
It appears to be some type of caulk...yuck!

Is it not feasible to return to original?
No, not feasible.

Please see the attached links for details:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-58763.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-59580.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #7
buk

Florida
Ouch!

Yeah...I'll take a rain check on that idea
Old 07-22-2016, 06:53 AM   #8

Name: George
Ontario
Registry
Hi,
I used a quick-fix (temporary only) aluminum tape about 3" wide and came with sticky caulk for a temp fix until I get around to doing it right like the above suggestions. It has been water proof for 2 years now.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:05 PM   #9
buk

Florida
So, I've started chiseling out the specific swollen areas, cleaning out the loose rust, then treating with tannic acid.

Once they are all done, I'll fill in with glass and resin, then whip out the orbital sander...

Not complicated at all

Tags
trillium