Trillium trials 1 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2008, 10:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Trillium
Our recently acquired Trillium came with virtually new covers on all the padded parts and a pretty funky smell. Upon reading a variety of forum posts I decided that I a top to bottom cleaning was in order. So, the inside has been stripped of all it's soft parts and a thorough cleaning is uder way. (The tough part has been waiting for a reasonably warm, non raining too hard kind of day. We've just had our coldest recorded April.)

A couple of weeks ago (on the one nice, sunny Saturday in April) we pulled the covers from the foams to see if they were contributing to the funky odour. They did smell, but a washing took care of that. The foams were another story... they smelled funky, but certainly wouldn't fit in the machine. So thanks to you good folks on this forum, I decided to tackle them with the hose and the grape-stomp two-step.

I did the first smallish bit in the tub. Easy. Today I did the remaining three smallish bits (from back bed). Tomorrow, if it's not raining too hard, I'll get the giant front bunk bits.

I thought I'd include a few images... (fingers crossed here)

(EDIT: Ok, so the order of the images is a bit off... The foam was stuffed into a clean plastic bag a mattress came in years ago - just happened to have in the garage, a couple of buckets of warm soapy water was tossed in and the entire thing was massaged severely by kneeling on it and wandering back and forth for a while. Then it was removed from the bag an placed on the (newly cleaned just for this) deck, saturated with water and then stomped on. Runoff drained through the deck. This spray, stomp, turn over, spray stomp was repeated until the runoff water was suds-free. A workout, my stomping muscles will be sore tomorrow. The foams was then rolled and squished to remove as much water as possible and set upright on a rolled towel to (hopefully) dry. If it's sunny tomorrow, they're going out for some solar assistance.)
Attached Thumbnails
The_Reason.jpg   The_Ingredients.jpg  

Wash.jpg   Rinse.jpg  

Clean.jpg  
David Swinnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
..........sounds like waaay too much time/effort for me. Just go to a foam shop and get new foam custom cut. Wash the 'outters', let dry and reinstall the new foam. The new foam will not only smell better but it'll ADD more support for sleepin' or just sittin' on.

See ya this weekend @ The Fort campground in Ft. Langley????
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
The "grape-stomp two step"--love the description! I hope your hard work took care of the odor problem. Let us know. I'm a big Febreze sprayer, just to freshen things up before a camping trip. It does a good job with "normal" odors. Good luck!
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Foam is really getting expensive, since it's a petroleum product. I think you were wise to try and save what you currently have. Spend the $$ on fuel to go camping!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Foam is really getting expensive, since it's a petroleum product. I think you were wise to try and save what you currently have. Spend the $ on fuel to go camping!!
I recently read a post from a fellow Vancouverite, Danielle D. describing a quote for $1500 for new cushions. That coupled with sticker shock last time I bought some foam for camping (years ago) made me pass on the idea of new foam until I'd tried other, cheaper options.

Right now, time and effort I can afford, dollars are somewhat harder to come by. (Hey, we just bought a trailer...)

Doug, unfortunately we won't be making it out to Ft. Langley this weekend. The foam is wet - but the real reason is that we're in the middle of dealing with my Mother's apartment full of stuff trying to get it ready to sell now that's she moved into assisted living. With weekends being the only time we can get all the involved parties together, we're not having any fun until later in the season. (And the reason we bought this trailer was to try and have some fun on the weekends. We reasoned if we're 'out-of-here' we can't get tagged for errands and chores as easily- self imposed or otherwise.)
Old 05-06-2008, 03:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
David, I think it was myself that quoted the $1500 but thats for a complete 'sofa' and custom made with high density foam. Too bad you can't get away even for a l'il break on Saturday afternoon(???)

Sofa looks sorta like this...So its not 'just' cushons which would be alot cheaper too!!
Attached Thumbnails
front___sofa___seat.jpg  
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:09 AM   #7

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Besides scrubbing the walls and airing the cushions (a lot), I also put little bags of charcoal in our Trillium's cubbies.
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:46 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: David... I happen to love the "Funky Smell". Sometimes I open the door of our Boler to get a "Fix" before heading off to work. Don't get rid of it all it took 30 some years to create it!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:09 AM   #9

Trailer: Compact Jr
You are a strange fellow, Alf S.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #10

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Quote:
I happen to love the "Funky Smell". Sometimes I open the door of our Boler to get a "Fix" before heading off to work
LOL.... thats about all i can seem to do these days.. it 'always' has to be nasty on the weekends so it puts a cramp on my camping days.... WAAAA I WANNA GO CAMPING!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Hi: David... I happen to love the "Funky Smell". Sometimes I open the door of our Boler to get a "Fix" before heading off to work. Don't get rid of it all it took 30 some years to create it!!!
Alf, if I don't get rid of the funky smell, my wife will stay at home. As she's the navigator, how would I know where to go?
Old 05-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 1977 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
You are a strange fellow, [b]Alf S.
ALF= Alien L<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">i</span>fe Form hahahahahahahaha
jimliston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Alf, if I don't get rid of the funky smell, my wife will stay at home. As she's the navigator, how would I know where to go?
Hi: David...Haven't you been "TOWED" today???
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
How did this thread get so hi-jacked?!?

David, what I want to know is if you are planning to keep the pink curtains or not =)
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:29 AM   #15

Quote:
How did this thread get so hi-jacked?!?

David, what I want to know is if you are planning to keep the pink curtains or not =)
No man, they're so GONE. My wife's just about finished the new ones.

Tags
trillium