Truck bed liner/rocker guard bigfoot trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 11:43 AM   #1

Name: graham
Trailer: 1990 bigfoot 17 foot
Alberta
Truck bed liner/rocker guard bigfoot trailer

I have a 1991 17foot Bigfoot trailer .The previous owner repaired the fiber glass on the front of the trailer and of course it dosnt match.There are also rock chips and rub marks as well and all blemishes are below the halfway mark.I'm thinking about covering this area with Truck bed liner or rocker guard
rubberized compound to hide the issues and for added protection from rocks.Anyone else try this?
gwestwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:21 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I did it with Grizzly Grip. Easy to apply with a roller or brush, but it's not as thick as bed liner. Available in colors, company is in Florida, has a website but you have to call to order
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Escape trailers uses Rhino on their front cargo boxes to protect the trailer (and the box) from road debris. Comes in colors:

Rhino Linings Media, Spray on Bed Liner, Spray Bed Liners | Rhino Linings

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I haven't done this on a trailer but I have done so on my Ranger's front bumper. Dupli-Color goes on smooth and is very durable.
I'm sure there are many brands and colors which can do as well, both spray and roller applied. If rolling, take a look at micro rollers for a finer finish.

Attached Thumbnails
july4t1.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:01 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I did some of the front of my trailer with a product from monstaliner.com and it worked well. I had to order the white tint and another of beige tint to get the color to come close to the original Bigfoot color. It only took a very small amount of the beige to add to the white. They will send you color samples and talk you thru the tinting process. It is a roll on 2 coat process. I was very happy with the finished result.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:06 PM   #6

Name: Eric
Trailer: Bigfoot B17
Alberta
I had a screwed on rubber guard on the front of my 1980 bigfoot trailer when I bought it, when I removed it it left tons of screw holes in the fiberglass and there was minor damage underneath, I took the trailer to line-X and had them coat the front of my trailer almost half way up with spray in bed liner, it filled in every imperfection and seems very durable against impacts, highly recommend going this route
Elast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:48 AM   #7

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I did some of the front of my trailer with a product from monstaliner.com and it worked well. I had to order the white tint and another of beige tint to get the color to come close to the original Bigfoot color. It only took a very small amount of the beige to add to the white. They will send you color samples and talk you thru the tinting process. It is a roll on 2 coat process. I was very happy with the finished result.
Glad to here you were happy with this product because we also purchased it but just haven't applied it yet.
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Something like this is on the front of my car..clear bra etc....there's different types . It's good stuff and clear
3M Chip Guard | Paint Protection Film | 3M Vinyl | Vehicle Wraps in Ontario
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #9

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Monstaliner

I sprayed 3 coats of the rocker panel guard material on the front of my trailer last year before heading up past the Arctic Circle. After many miles on gravel roads I found it didn't help much at all. In fact the rocks punched a hole right through the fiberglass on one front side. Part of the reason was the difference in height between my trailer and the truck. I have an 8" drop hitch, good rubber mudflaps on the truck but not long enough to prevent rocks spraying back.

After some online investigation I ordered a set of Monstaliner sample chips in the colours I thought would go with my trailer. They were free and came via regular mail even though I live in Canada.

Their website has lots of information on the application process - it's a roll-on material. It's very thick and looks indestructible. Expensive, yes, but you don't need much just to do the front of your trailer.

There are good reviews on the web about this material that convinced me this is the way to go. As soon as I get the fiberglass repaired and the remaining old rocker panel guard material removed I will be applying the Monstaliner.

Also going to extend my mudflaps on the 4 x 4 truck!

Anyone else used this material for their trailer?

Tags
bigfoot