true deep cycle battery or hybrid marine/deep cycle? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-24-2019, 05:18 PM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: 2009 Scamp 13'
Alberta
true deep cycle battery or hybrid marine/deep cycle?

I'm about to buy a new battery for my Scamp. Every place I read on the Web says a true deep cycle battery is the best variety for RV "house" uses -- cold crank etc is unimportant to lighting your lights or running your exhaust fan. Yet every battery I've been sold for the past 10 years AND the one originally supplied by Scamp has been a hybrid of marine and true deep cycle. One place said that batteries small enough to fit the egg's battery box were usually hybrids at best, not true deep cycle batteries. Trojan was mentioned as a possible source of the "real thing", if I could find one.
Just wondering what other egg-heads use? Or does the cost of a true deep cycle that fits cancel out the better efficiency of that battery type, so we just settle for the hybrid?

Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:32 PM   #2

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I get all my information on purchase and maintenance from the Trojan Battery site.
I have 27TMX deep cycle battery.
https://www.trojanbattery.com/product/27tmx/

Old 08-24-2019, 06:51 PM   #3

Alberta
Thanks, Glenn for that link. And it confirms what I'd heard -- the Trojan battery is a bit more than an inch too wide for my battery box. When I originally posted, some other "similar topics" appeared, and there had been a pretty good discussion about this very topic last year. Sounds like a topic with no obvious answers and lots of opinions to suit every individual's needs. Under the circumstances, and based on my uses/needs, I'm probably likely to be best served by yet another inexpensive hybrid, rather than a true deep cycle. But we'll see....
Old 08-24-2019, 07:03 PM   #4

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Battery boxes aren't that expensive.
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...27+battery+box

On the other hand, some get their batteries from Walmart for cheap and they function.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-08-24 at 6.01.51 PM.jpg  
Old 08-24-2019, 07:03 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
a true deep cycle, like the Trojan 27TMX, or my dual 6V GC2 golf cart batts has a lot more lead, thicker plates == longer life.

AGM are about twice the price of the typical hybrid 'marine/rv' wet cell, and have some advantages, if you don't abuse them they will do quite nicely in a deep cycle application, but you still don't want to discharge them below about 50% for best life cycle.

LiFePo4, such as Battleborn, are the best, but way $$$$. you can consistently discharge these 80-90% and get 1000s and 1000s of deep cycle / recharge cycles, but they are like 10X the cost of a 27M wet cell.

I'm using the cheapest GC batts I could find (Costco's budget Interstate GC2), and they've worked fine for me, but I have 160 watts of rooftop solar, and when I'm off grid I'm usually in the open at a star party (shade == lack of night sky...), so the 200AH capacity of 2 x budget GC2's, thats really 100AH 'usable', has been plenty, I'm usually at 100% charge by the time I wake up after an all nighter...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:18 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
California
I went a Trojan last time after several marine batts and its lasted well compared to the marine type batts. Trojan makes all sizes you can think of.
CasitaMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:48 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davis View Post
I'm about to buy a new battery for my Scamp. Every place I read on the Web says a true deep cycle battery is the best variety for RV "house" uses -- cold crank etc is unimportant to lighting your lights or running your exhaust fan. Yet every battery I've been sold for the past 10 years AND the one originally supplied by Scamp has been a hybrid of marine and true deep cycle. One place said that batteries small enough to fit the egg's battery box were usually hybrids at best, not true deep cycle batteries. Trojan was mentioned as a possible source of the "real thing", if I could find one.
Just wondering what other egg-heads use? Or does the cost of a true deep cycle that fits cancel out the better efficiency of that battery type, so we just settle for the hybrid?
You should consider how you will use the trailer's 12V system when making your battery choice. If you spend most of your time connected to a power pedestal, there is little need for anything beyond a hybrid; even a basic starter battery will do.

On the other hand, if you plan to dry camp, particularly if you are going to use the furnace for hours per night, the advantages of a deep cycle battery become apparent. You will be able to go days more before hauling out a generator, or moving to a site with hookups to recharge the battery. Add a whole house inverter, and a pair (or more) of 6V deep cycle batteries make sense.

In my case, I use lots of energy, including making coffee & toast using a 1500 watt inverter, while spending the entire winter dry camping. It is typical for me to use 40 - 50 amp hours per day, about twice what most fiberglass trailers use. I managed to survive without a generator using a pair of 230 amp hour 6V batteries & 480 watts of solar, although a string of cloudy days forced me to revert to making my coffee on the stove. I recently switched to a pair of 12V Battleborn 100 amp hour lithium batteries, and have found a huge improvement over the pair of 6V.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:06 PM   #8

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
The airline industry is paranoid right now about rechargeable Li Ion batteries catching themselves on fire. Do you have any concerns about fire with Li batteries?
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:11 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
The airlines are concerned about other than the LiFePo4 used by Battleborn & other RV 12V replacement lithium batteries. The LiFePo4 technology is far less prone to fires than the lighter types used in phones & computers. While it is possible to have problems with any battery technology, including AGM & standard lead acid, the Battleborn batteries are safe.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:26 PM   #10

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Thanks Jon, good to learn the nuance.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #11

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
I too moved to a lithium ion. I was off grid for a few days, and had trouble keeping a battery charged. Decided to spend the extra money to be flexible. Had bought 2 deep cycle, but something happened to one of them and it took the other one down. I have 200 watts of solar and I think now i will have a lot less trouble when off grid.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:53 PM   #12

Name: Brandon
Trailer: Shopping/custom
California
Lifepo4 and Lithium Titininate

Lifepo4 are non-combustable and now less expensive than lead acid. They can last a human lifetime when set up correctly. Unlike Lead Acid, they can be cycled fully. Downside is they should have protection against charging below freezing, and bms protection against over discharge. The bms configs are now very good though and if you donít want to mess with them you can pay much more and get a battleborn, etc. Iím not sure why people still invest in Lead acid... too dangerous, heavy, and expensive. Lead? Acid?
bmoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:59 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
how do you figure a LiFePo4 is less expensive than lead acid? Everywhere I look, including direct-from-china kind of sources, they are at least 4X more expensive, and thats assuming you derate the lead acid by 50% (eg, 100AH LiFePo4 vs a 200AH Lead-Acid...)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:22 PM   #14

Alberta
Thanks for all the helpful information, folks. I’ve just purchased a Trojan 24TMX deep cycle that fits my box. It was more expensive than the marine/deep cycle hybrids that I’ve used in the past (3 over 10 years), but not all that much more. I’m hoping it will give me better service for longer spells of occasional dry camping when the on-the-road opportunity comes up. Having ignorantly abused 3 previous batteries with what I didn’t know about batteries, and having some tools for measuring voltage and charging, I’m optimistic!

Tags
battery