TV for 17.5CB Bigfoot - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-02-2005, 09:33 PM   #15

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
Quote:
I almost did the same as you

Others got burned too Ches.

The reference to two hours being the correct amount of tv doesn't pertain to tow vehicle.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:35 PM   #16

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Quote:
Others got burned too Ches.

The reference to two hours being the opimum amount of tv doesn't pertain to tow vehicle.

That would be Gina.Isaw that too

Old 12-02-2005, 09:50 PM   #17

Trailer: 2006 Bigfoot 17 ft.5 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Linda E Brewer
Thank you sooooo much, all who replied. I had no idea that I would get such informative responses. (I even agree with the admonition that 2 hours of TV/day is the limit.) I will share all your advice with my sweet husband and we will make the best decision possible with knowledge!
Again, MAHALO (thank you in Hawaii).
Old 12-07-2005, 09:38 PM   #18

Trailer: Bigfoot (25B21RB) 2007 Bunkbed version
Quote:
Ewabeach,

The 17.5 foot Bigfoot likely will be over 4000lbs total when loaded and ready to go, so I think you would be happier with the V8. I personally like 4WD for towing, as it can (and has) come in very handy when you are pulling up loose gravel hills or in wet slippery campsites. I feel it is worth it despite the slightly poorer gas economy and sometimes minimally lower tow rating.

A WD hitch for your BF is, in my opinion, mandatory unless you are using a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. The hitch weight will be around 400lbs and will simply flatten the rear end on lighter duty vehicles. SUV's generally have soft springs to enhance ride quality and can benefit from some beefing up, and air bags are a useful addition. I would never recommend them in place of a WD hitch for this application, get the proper hitch first and then see if you want to add the bags later. My guess is that you will end up adding air bags, unless you get the Limited V8 4runner with load leveling suspension.
My only slightly lighter 17 foot drops the rear end of my tow package equipped 1/2 ton chevy truck excessively without WD. I wouldn't even consider towing my 17CB without a WD hitch with either of my current tow vehicles. My Envoy with the load leveling rear suspension will support the hitch load without sag, but the more even distribution of tongue weight on the trailer and tow vehicle axles provided by the WD hitch makes for a much more stable and relaxing tow. As a matter of fact, I would strongly consider a WD hitch with sway control built in like the Equal-i-zer or Reese dual cam if I had to start from scratch. A bit of overkill perhaps, but when it comes to towing you can never be too safe.

Have fun with your Bigfoot!
Steve.
I agree with Steve. I have a 2005 17.5 Bigfoot and tow it with a Ford F150 4x4. For it's length, this is a heavy trailer. I use an Equal-i-zer wdh and wouldn't consider towing without it. On the highway, particularly on freeways with heavy truck traffic or in conditions with strong cross winds, the trailer with wdh tows straight and steady. I can't imagine not wanting to use a wdh hitch. My Equal-i-zer is not much of a hassle to deal with and the benefits simply far outweigh any inconvenience.

I have a 5.4L engine and wouldn't want anything less (granted my gear ratio is great - 3.55) for towing this trailer. In the mountains on steep climbs I can maintain 40+ mph keeping up with the flow of traffic in most instances (I have to shut off the AC, though, at the start of the climb).With the Bigfoot 17.5 it's unrealistic to make comparisons with lighter trailers like the Casita when it comes to TVs, particularly if you plan to travel in the western mountain states.

I must disagree with an earlier posting. I bought my Bigfoot from Camping Country RV in Fountain, CO, and they gladly let me hitch up to a new Bigfoot trailer (happened to be a 21 footer at the time) and do a test tow to see how my truck handled it. There was absolutely no hesitation when I asked to do this. The salesman (Robert Lowe) accompanied me and we discussed the trailer and towing throughout the test run. This helped me a great deal in making a decision on a trailer that would suit my needs.

Bernie
Old 12-07-2005, 11:48 PM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
There may be some confusion here on what test driving was proposed: I think the original comment was that the tow vehicle dealer would not likely allow a prospective buyer to hook up a trailer for a test drive; at least some trailer dealers, on the other hand, will allow a propective buyer to hook the dealer's trailer up to the buyer's tow vehicle. Since they have the Bigfoot, it's the 4Runner that would have to be test-driven.

I actually borrowed a friend's van (just like mine, but different hitch) and hooked it to the RV dealer's trailer to check out the combination using none of my own stuff - and then didn't buy the trailer (to wide, too heavy, too expensive, not 'glass...).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:56 AM   #20

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
I am envious of anyone with a Bigfoot. If I ever get one, I'll keep that dealer in Colorado in mind. Since we seem to be in the company of some Equal-i-zer fans, I have a picture to post.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2005, 08:18 AM   #21

Trailer: 17 ft 2001 Casita Liberty Deluxe
I gotta admit ... I, too, entered this thread thinking we were going to talk about televisions. (We have a 5 inch black-and-white big screen in our 17 footer ... yup, black and white. Uses far, far fewer amps than color ... and we do an awful lot of boondocking).

But, alas, the conversations about tow vehicles.

In general ... go with the largest tow vehicle and biggest motor ... point and period.

Problem's not pulling a trailer ... problem's not being the first one to the top of the mountain.

The problem with towing is simple.

The problem is towing a trailer is being able to:

1. Stop the trailer
2. Control the trailer, particularly during a panic stop, rolling down a steep moutain grade

You never want to get yourself in a situation where the "tail's wagging the dog."

Towing a dealer's trailer, around the dealer's neighborhood, tells you little, if nothing about how your vehicle is going to react in a PANIC stop situation.

True Panic stop situations are rare ... but your life (or atleast your limbs) will depend on your tow vehicle's ability to stop your trailer in a controlled fashion.

I've long advocated that folks find a deserted road, get rolling at expressway speeds, then SLAM ON THE BRAKES ... to see how their combination is going to react.

And in all the years I've been pulling fiberglass rigs ... in all the campgrounds ... I've never heard anyone complain about "having too much" tow vehicle.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:31 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I ha e a 2004 Toyota 4Runner V8. Mine is the SR5 model, which does not have an air suspension rear (limited model does). The Canadian models have a poor trailer hitch, so I upgraded. The Toyota towed my 17' Bigfoot well, as the vehicle has a 7,000 lb tow rating with a WD hitch. The V8 model comes with a transmission and engine oil cooler standard, as well as the wiring to the dash to enable the easy install of a brake controller. I am using an Ultima 2020.

I am pleased with the Toyota and its towing ability.

Rick B
Old 12-08-2005, 10:59 AM   #23

Trailer: 2006 Bigfoot 17 ft.5 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Linda E Brewer
Talking

This is absolutely the best blog site on the web! Thank you very much for all of your input. It is soooo nice to not have to reinvent the wheel. We can hardly wait for June and our first summer on the road.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #24

Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 17 ft / Touareg V8
I tow my 17ft. bigfoot with a VW Touareg V8. Lots of power, big Brembo brakes, self leveling, factory hitch is expensive but interfaces with the computers. You hardly know it is behind you until you look in the rear view mirror. Rig will tow up to 6,600 lbs. with tongue weight of 660 lbs. If trailer is hooked up, the anti-thieft alarm will sound if someone would try to unplug and steal it.

ufda
Old 12-08-2005, 09:51 PM   #25

Name: Yves
Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G)
Quebec
I'm puzzled.. I just bought Harry Gaudier's 1989 17' Bigfoot, and Harry gave me the paperwork and all the manuals that came with the Bigfoot. I even have the sales brochure. The brochure says that the 17' Bigfoot DLX has "approximate" 1875 lbs weight, dry, and 230 lbs hitch weight, dry. Axle capacity is advertised at 3500 lbs max...

How could we explain the huge difference in weight between the 2005 Bigfoot, and the 1989 Bigfoot? They're the same size aren't they? Can anyone explain?

Yves.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:52 PM   #26

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I haven't seen an 89, but the new ones are very elegantly appointed, with fancy counters and wood and "stuff". Maybe this accounts for some?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:00 AM   #27

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Possibly more options.It don't take much to add weight.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:51 AM   #28

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
Chester Taje Posted Today, 07:00 AM
Quote:
It don't take much to add weight
I agree...the [b]smell of chocolate usually does it for me........

Tags
bigfoot