TV for 17.5CB Bigfoot - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-09-2005, 05:48 PM   #29

Trailer: Bigfoot
From a happy BIGFOOT owner, get a pickup.The T/T is great, but it is bulky item storage handicapped. You will probably get a gen and you do not want to smell the fuel.I had a suburban for 2years, and traded for a truck.Now my bike, Avon, otbd motor, fihing gear,and lounges all get placed in in the bed out of sight and out of mind. :

Old 12-09-2005, 08:54 PM   #30

Trailer: Bigfoot (25B21RB) 2007 Bunkbed version
Quote:
I'm puzzled.. I just bought Harry Gaudier's 1989 17' Bigfoot, and Harry gave me the paperwork and all the manuals that came with the Bigfoot. I even have the sales brochure. The brochure says that the 17' Bigfoot DLX has "approximate" 1875 lbs weight, dry, and 230 lbs hitch weight, dry. Axle capacity is advertised at 3500 lbs max...

How could we explain the huge difference in weight between the 2005 Bigfoot, and the 1989 Bigfoot? They're the same size aren't they? Can anyone explain?

Yves.

I believe it was in 2005 that Bigfoot upgraded the 17 ft model from the 1500 series to the 2500 series. The change included a substantial increase to the insulating qualties of the trailer which must have added to the overall weight. I've also heard/read that the model was widened as well though others might know more about that. On my trailer I have two 30# propane tanks instead of the usual 20#ers, a microwave, an 80W solar panel, thermopane window, etc., etc., which adds to the weight. The axle on the 25175CB/G models also is rated at 4400# which indicates that Bigfoot increased the overall weight of the trailer over the years.

Bernie

Old 12-09-2005, 09:27 PM   #31

Name: Yves
Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G)
Quebec
Quote:
I believe it was in 2005 that Bigfoot upgraded the 17 ft model from the 1500 series to the 2500 series. The change included a substantial increase to the insulating qualties of the trailer which must have added to the overall weight. I've also heard/read that the model was widened as well though others might know more about that. On my trailer I have two 30# propane tanks instead of the usual 20#ers, a microwave, an 80W solar panel, thermopane window, etc., etc., which adds to the weight. The axle on the 25175CB/G models also is rated at 4400# which indicates that Bigfoot increased the overall weight of the trailer over the years.

Bernie

Thanks!

Yves.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:48 PM   #32

Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Quote:
I'm puzzled.. I just bought Harry Gaudier's 1989 17' Bigfoot, and Harry gave me the paperwork and all the manuals that came with the Bigfoot. I even have the sales brochure. The brochure says that the 17' Bigfoot DLX has "approximate" 1875 lbs weight, dry, and 230 lbs hitch weight, dry. Axle capacity is advertised at 3500 lbs max...

How could we explain the huge difference in weight between the 2005 Bigfoot, and the 1989 Bigfoot? They're the same size aren't they? Can anyone explain?

Yves.
The new Bigfoot is 10" longer (17' 5" vs 16' 7") with thicker walls, a heavier frame (center section is stacked 2" X 4" rectangular tubing for a 8" total depth), has a bigger axle with 12" brakes, larger 15" tires, greater capacity holding tanks, includes a great many standard features that were either optional or unavailable with the earlier Bigfoot models. Its "dry" weight is listed at 2895lbs. Dry weight will probably not include items like a spare tire, full propane cylinders, any optional equipment etc. By the time you add options and load up with supplies and water, it will easily top 4000lbs and may approach the listed 4300lb GVW.

My 2000 17' CB has a listed dry weight of 2490lbs and an additional 250lbs of factory installed options. This is around 2750 lbs with no propane, water, food, tools, camping gear, and doesn't include items I have added - solar panels, inverter, larger battery, macerator pump, water pump accumulator, and wiring upgrades. It also doesn't include the dealer installed airconditioner, cd player and stabilizer jacks. The last time I weighed my fully loaded unit, it was at its axle gvw limit of 3500lbs to which one would have to add around 350lbs tongue weight for a total of 38-3900lbs.

Earlier model Bigfoot trailers may well be somewhat lighter, due to less options and smaller and lighter appliances - For example, I think the refrigerator is smaller on the older models. With careful loading and empty tanks, I think it is possible they could weigh less than 3000lbs. Perhaps an owner who has actually weighed his early model while in camping trim will respond with a real world total weight?

Steve.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:43 PM   #33

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2007 Bigfoot 25' Rear Queen
Oregon
Registry
I just bought a 1994 17' Bigfoot and I started to tow it around with just a regular hitch. I then bought a Draw-Tite WDH for 550 lb. tongue weight. BIG difference. I also have a Tundra 4WD V-8. I would not want to tow the 17' Bigfoot with anything less than a V-8.

Tags
bigfoot