TV Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2008, 07:46 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe 2008 / Toyota Hawaiighlander
Maybe this question is better suited for an electornics forum (but I don't belong to any of those - LOL).
Are the TV antenna and amplifiers sold on today's rv's going to work when the US broadcast tv signal goes all digital in January '09?
I guess my question is (pardon my ignorance) can digital signals be picked up by antenna.
Thanks in advance, Pat
Pat M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Hi Pat,

Yes, they will work. Ones purchased on OLD RVs will work.

Here is a recent discussion on them.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #3

Registry
btw, I JUST picked up my converter box today from Camping World.

Winegard Digital to Analog convertor box

I got my "coupon" in the mail yesterday (It's really a gift card thingy LOL!) and picked this one up today when I saw it. It uses a wall wart, but runs off 9v DC. I was actually on my way up to the trailer to install it when I saw your post!

It is very small. About the size of a book. I am hoping my dc-dc converter will be able to handle the current.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
btw, I JUST picked up my converter box today from Camping World.

Winegard Digital to Analog convertor box

I got my "coupon" in the mail yesterday (It's really a gift card thingy LOL!) and picked this one up today when I saw it. It uses a wall wart, but runs off 9v DC. I was actually on my way up to the trailer to install it when I saw your post!

It is very small. About the size of a book. I am hoping my dc-dc converter will be able to handle the current.
Gina... I also just got my discount card and your item looks good but can you tell me what a "wall wart" is.....is that the little black box that plugs into the a/c 110 outlet?____ and then converts it to DC.
Also would the hookups be the standart cable type screw plugs?_____ as i will be using "rabbit ears"
thanks for any help.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:15 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
is that the little black box that plugs into the a/c 110 outlet?____ and then converts it to DC.
Yes.

I have both types of hook ups on mine, RCA and the standard cable type. The RCAs are to go TO your TV if you dont have the antenna hook up on it.

I got side tracked.. install delayed until tomorrow
Old 05-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
OT, slightly, but I got mine installed at home, one of two converter boxes. If you have trouble tuning in digital signals check http://www.antennaweb.org and put in your address to get a list of available channels, the real channel they are assigned to, and the compass heading you need to point to to get them. Very useful. With some wiggling around I can bring in all the old stations on digital plus a couple of extras; picture is much improved.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #7

thanks Gina.........
I am going to wait and see how you like it .....please post back here with your opinion .....it looks like a good product and the 9v dc is a plus as everything else i've seen is 110v only.
thanx,
Joe
Old 05-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #8

Registry
You'll need an adaptor with a 1 amp capability, if I can believe the specs. I am not sure which step down adaptor I have.

If it's not the right one, Radio Hack has a straight 12 to 9v that is 1 amp for 20 bones.

I may have a hard time telling you anything from my driveway. TV reception up here is horrible, but I am hoping the box and available hd signals will be better.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #9

Gina,
That 12v to 9v radio hack sounds easy enough....hopefully you get at least one station better. it's the same where we live.....no tv reception without doing an acrobatic stand LOL.
I'm campin right now at the jersey shore and luckily have wi-fi nearby... it's almost midnight here...gettin sleepy.have a good night and thanks for the quick response.....
Joe
Old 05-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Guys.....and Gals of course.

The digital channels are all UHF channels not VHF like the original 13 lower channels.
Luckily UHF antenna are much smaller than VHF in case you elect to get a different antenna.
For around town use the VHF/UHF antenna on these trailers should work well if they already are working.
It seems easier to get a Digital Signal in general than an analog signal which requires much tweaking for many.

I certinly would try the antenna you already have before getting something else.
The only exception would be when camping and somewhat remote from big cities,a directional antenna may have an advantage over the non-directional stock models.
Again,a UHF antenna like that will be very small compared to directional VHF antenna's

I have a friend who is an engineer for the local FOX channel here and he is making antenna's for digital for the stations broadcast mobile van and they are less than 4" in diameter and perform well.
This may give you an idea of what I mean when I say small!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #11

Registry
I cannot even get the menu to come up on the box I have. I suspect a malfunction.

Lights come one.. nobody home. Even if there is no signal to convert, the programing menu for the box should show on screen.

Guess I will try it "Down the hill" or take it back for another.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Just to be clear, antennas don't care whether the signal is digital or analog, only about the frequency of the signal. Consider the antenna on a tri-mode cell phone, which receives/transmits both digital and analog signals.

That won't stop some marketeers from trying to sell 'digital' antennas, of course
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #13

Quote:
I cannot even get the menu to come up on the box I have. I suspect a malfunction.

Lights come one.. nobody home. Even if there is no signal to convert, the programing menu for the box should show on screen.

Guess I will try it "Down the hill" or take it back for another.
Gina....
I bought a converter that plugs into the wall only and want to bring it back and get your dc model. let me tell you what happened with mine as i also could not even get the menu to come up. On my first try i used the red/yellow /white cables to hook to the television and i couldn't get anything so i took those wires off and hooked it up the old fashion way with the cable type screw on connection(not sure what it's called) turned everything on and still nothing......... so i went thru the menu on the television while i left it on channel three and went thru all the video options/tv types..tv video composite etc. and then it came on and works fine but i really want that DC Type you got.... hope you figure out the problem.
Joe
Old 05-04-2008, 06:07 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Arrow

Quote:

I had a similar problem...
Quote:
I just used my $40 government coupon (a credit-like card actually) and less than $15 out-of-pocket to purchase my new RCA model DTA800 Digital TV Converter.

I hooked it up and programmed it. [b](Note to manufacturer: Proofread the (!@#$%^&*!!!) manual before you send it out.)
Once I got the Menu Programming figured out, It took just a few minutes.
Once I figured out for myself how to activate the menu, (Hint: It does NOT activate by itself) It worked fine.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #15

Registry
getting it to power on was not an issue. I had the TV on 3, and I tried both ways.. with the antenna in and out to the TV, then antenna in and composite out to the TV. Each time I hit the menu button on the box, I got gobbilty gook. You could sort of see twisted text, like alphabet soup, if you used your imagination.

Tried it on the trailer TV which is strictly analog, and I even brought it inside and tried with my satellite dish as an antenna.. same thing on it.

I guess I had better re read the instructions. I could be doing it wrong. I used to be perfect, until I made a minor mistake last week.. so my record is shot
Old 05-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #16

Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
[b]Each time I hit the menu button on the box, I got gobbilty gook.
You're doing it right. My printed instructions skipped over the "press Menu Button" part.
Quote:
You could sort of see twisted text, like alphabet soup, if you used your imagination.
If you see that on channel 3, try channel 4...
Old 05-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #17

Registry
been there...

NOW my problems is.. I can't find the ^$#@ remote for the TV OR the box!
Old 05-04-2008, 08:15 PM   #18

Registry
Found it and got it working.. programming by Braille. I looked at the pictures in the manual and clicked "X" amount of times that match the pictures to change the default output channel on the BOX from 3 to 4. (The TV is 3)

I raised my antenna high, turned it on.. and scanned... oh, the anticipation..

not a single channel available in my hood
Old 05-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #19

Registry
Cool

Quote:
not a single channel available in my hood

The only place I have been able to find over-the-air digital reception has been here at home in metropolitan San Diego. Everywhere else has analog transmissions only at this time.

I suspect many stations (In small markets) are delaying the switchover until the deadline...
Old 05-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #20

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Guys.....and Gals of course.

The digital channels are all UHF channels not VHF like the original 13 lower channels.
Luckily UHF antenna are much smaller than VHF in case you elect to get a different antenna.
For around town use the VHF/UHF antenna on these trailers should work well if they already are working.
It seems easier to get a Digital Signal in general than an analog signal which requires much tweaking for many.
Actually, the channel I have trouble getting broadcasts its digital signal on channel 9. The rest in our area are all UHF, which is what my antenna is designed to do. When the changeover comes the Channel 9 station will got to 32 and then the antenna should work better.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote