Tyres - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-24-2008, 03:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
We decided that the mag wheels on our Trillium needed their semi-anual polishing, so I removed them from the trailer and polished them up reeeeal purdy like. Close inspection of the Dunlop 6 ply tires showed signs of sidewall cracking. No big deal to fix as I have a second pair on hand anyhow. A quick trip to my local tire dood (and $60 later ....bought 10 new chrome lug nutz too) and I am 'outta there' with new(er) tires mounted/balanced and installed on my shiny mags. I got home and decided to flip the wheels over and polish the backsides, another CHORE. Works all (finally) done and mags have 2 coats of Carnuba polish over the Aluminum polish. I went to re-mount the wheels only to find that the wheel bearings on the drivers side are a little worn. Looks like next week will be bearing replacement Monday!!! Maintenance just never ends, LOL. Nice to have peace of mind motoring down the by-way(s) knowing that the wheels, tires and bearings are all in Good Shape. Oh, I have also changed my trailer 'mount' to a 2" ball type from the 1 n 7/8 one ( local r/v shops are saying that the 1 n 7/8 mounts are no longer being made in the 'Y' style) and replaced the two safety chains. The new larger ball means getting 5 new (larger) balls including one four our 'bolor strowler', one for the 37 Plymouth, two for the Dakota P/U and one for the Trailers Goddess' Personal Transport Cruise (P.T. Cruiser) ....money, money money!!!!!!

Old 07-26-2008, 10:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
. I went to re-mount the wheels only to find that the wheel bearings on the drivers side are a little worn. Looks like next week will be bearing replacement Monday!!! ....money, money money!!!!!!

Just curious -- how did you determine the wheel bearings were worn?

Old 07-27-2008, 12:25 AM   #3

Registry
I first noticed there was a 'concern' when I had the trailer in the air and gave both wheels a free handed spin. The side with the bad bearing (MAYBE it only needs to be repacked??) made a slight rumbling sound as it spun AND felt as if it had a bit of a wobble to it. I checked to be sure it wasn't just a case of ill tightened lug nuts. Its a cheap (and safe) thing to do (repack or replace the bearings) every coupla years. Helps with the peace of mind knowing that the poaaibility of being left high n dry on the highway with a bad bearing set is greatly lessened.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:04 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Yea, it's that good old rumbling sound that gives it away to me. New bearings are inexpensive, the only drawback is getting the parts in and out of the hub.

Keep on feeling those hubs occasionally to detect higher temperatures that indicate something is amiss.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:41 AM   #5

Name: Brandy
Doug are you giving/throwing away money???? PICK ME PICK ME!!!!! (waves hand) over here!!!

Quote:
money, money money!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:24 AM   #6

Registry
Sorry Brandy, but "<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%">SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED</span></span>" is keeping a very tight reign on finances 'round the estate here at least untill retirement, LOL!!!!!
Old 07-27-2008, 04:28 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Wait until you go through the post-retirement "this is the last one of these we'll be able to afford" phase