uhaul bunk question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
uhaul bunk question

while laying in my uhaul ct 13 the other day and looking at the bunk ,I began to wonder ....why didnt they just make the bunk above the main bed allowing for a bigger bed for the bunking kids too? Using the other end for whatever.....are scamps and casita's the same? just curious...Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Sounds like a mod to me.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
while laying in my uhaul ct 13 the other day and looking at the bunk ,I began to wonder ....why didnt they just make the bunk above the main bed allowing for a bigger bed for the bunking kids too? Using the other end for whatever.....are scamps and casita's the same? just curious...Bruce

Cause mom and dad didnt want thier bed wetting brood over their heads!
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Just a few observations ( I have a Uhaul CT and had considered this same thing):
1. The depth of the folded down bunk takes up a lot of 'width' on the front seat. So it would have made the back bench of the 'u' shaped dinette seat so narrow, it would have been unusable.
2. The upper bunk would only be half as wide as the bed below, so it would take some ingeneuity to figure out where the support legs could go and not be in the way of the sleepers below. Would be difficult to support from the sidewalls.
3. In order to make room for sleepers below, the support legs would probably have to fall on the outside wall, which has no support from below in the storage well. (The regular front bunk legs stand on the edge of the seats/storage units which supports the load).
3. The bunk in the front can be put up and down without dissassembing the back table, so you can put kids to bed, and still use dinette.
4. Maybe they figured that mom & dad would rather not have kiddy jumping around overhead?
Having said all that, it certainly does not mean that a mod can't be done to add a bunk over the back table area! You just need to put on yer thinkin cap
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
A few Trilliums had this option. I think it was mostly (all?) the 4500 model that had a bathroom in front (so there were no other sleeping places except the rear dinette made up into a bed, unless you got the bunk option).

Even so, from what I have seen, few people took this option. It seems rare.

When the bunk was folded down (to use), it partially covered the side and rear windows, and when it was stowed, it still covered over part of the dinette area (making a lower ceiling). I'm not sure if people on the lower bunk could still sit up in bed then - probably shorter people could; not sure about taller ones.

In the case of the Trillium, the front (open) edge of the deployed bunk spanned the full width of the trailer and special metal "arms" came down on the sidewalls at the forward and rear edges of the side windows and then a bar type thing between them caught the bunk. The bunk was wider than a single, but not a true double. I don't remember for sure, but I would guess it was about 38-40" wide.

I have seen a few mods that added a bunk over the "main" bed - maybe one of them was in Chester Taje's Boler 17?

I think you'd have to really want/need one, as it would encroach on the "best" end of the trailer; but then, part of the fun is looking around the camper and wondering "What if I..."

Edited to add photos of the bunk stowed and deployed in a Trillium 4500 (which is a bit wider and longer than a U-haul/Burro 13). The "bunk up (stowed)" one was pretty dark, so I lightened it. Quality is not great, but at least I hope you can see the gist.

Raya
Attached Thumbnails
trill 4500 bunk up.jpg   trill 4500 bunk open.jpg  

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul, uhaul