UHaul Refrigerator Gasket - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
UHaul Refrigerator Gasket

Newbie here with lots of questions. My new CT13 has a very stiff icebox gasket. I'm wondering if a replacement is readily available or if anyone has found other workarounds. I know that BMW sells a liquid softener that works on rubber parts on cars to keep them soft, but this gasket seems to be a soft plastic.

Thanks in advance.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Sorry I can't help you with the original gasket, but my guess is that it is dried out beyond all help. You will probably need to search around websites that carry gaskets for other trailer fridges or small dorm fridges. One of those gaskets may be able to be cut to fit. You might check out an old style hardware store, too. They often carry strange old things that might work. Or, as we did, replace your ice box with a small dorm fridge. We had to cut the hole slightly larger, but it is great having cold food and pop! Ours is electric (110) only, but I know Dometic has 3-way fridges for gas/12v/110v. We got ours at WalMart.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. We plan to mostly dry camp, so that means ice or an LP 'fridge. And I know how much an LP fridge is - half the cost I have in this camper.

I researched it a bit and one recommendation was to wipe the seal down with mineral oil. So I tried that and will check it in the AM to see if it helped. If nothing else, I'll find something close and modify it to fit.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #4

Did the mineral oil work?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Did the mineral oil work?
The gasket is a little softer, but it is hard to tell quantitatively, as it has also gotten colder here. I plan to continue wiping it with mineral oil to see if it continues to soften. Somewhere else I saw a recommendation of using Vaseline, which may have the same basic ingredient.

BMW also sells a gasket softener - Amazon.com: einszett 914806 'Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick - 3.4 fl. oz: Automotive

I think that either method is definitely worth doing.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
I decided to remove the icebox. Very inefficent. I will turn the forward seat well into a cooler. Using the fiberglass insert, I will put in a drain and insulate it. From the floor and wall I will use a combination of foil insulation and expanding foam, making sure I can remove it if needed. I did a front dinette mod on my U-haul, so the bench nearest the door is the one I will use. All I need to do is make a good lid. The major drawback is the small size, and no midnight snacks if we have a third camper.
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat B Ohio View Post
I decided to remove the icebox. Very inefficent. I will turn the forward seat well into a cooler. Using the fiberglass insert, I will put in a drain and insulate it. From the floor and wall I will use a combination of foil insulation and expanding foam, making sure I can remove it if needed. I did a front dinette mod on my U-haul, so the bench nearest the door is the one I will use. All I need to do is make a good lid. The major drawback is the small size, and no midnight snacks if we have a third camper.
Interesting concept. I hope you will post a few pictures when you are done.

I'm thinking of keeping the present icebox, but adding 1.5" of foam with foil surface to 5 sides and maybe doubling up on the gasket..
Old 12-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
I thought about adding insulation, but it still allows cold air to flow out when you open the door. Also, I could not come up with an idea to fix the door. The cold box will double as storage when not needed.
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:01 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Under the seat next to the door

Isn't that the location most use for the Porta Potti?

Eeew!
Attached Thumbnails
mr-yuk.gif  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Iceboxes so 1990's......
David Konduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Konduc View Post
Iceboxes so 1990's......
I guess I am missing your point.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
IF I needed to replace the gasket on my refrigerator (and don't) and couldn't find a direct replacement.... I might try a closed-cell foam like this: Shop Frost King 10'L x 1/2"W Black Rubber Foam Tape Weather Strip at Lowes.com=

and put it on the refrigerator itself... rather than the door.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
IF I needed to replace the gasket on my refrigerator (and don't) and couldn't find a direct replacement.... I might try a closed-cell foam like this: Shop Frost King 10'L x 1/2"W Black Rubber Foam Tape Weather Strip at Lowes.com=

and put it on the refrigerator itself... rather than the door.
Good suggestion. Why do you prefer the attachment to the fridge vs the door?
Old 12-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I guess because I prefer to put gasket materials on fixed surfaces. The closed-foam tape I have on the trailer to seal the door is also on the body... not the door. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #15

I think the attachment of the foam may just be a personal preference. I've done it both ways and haven't had any better or worse luck. Experiment!
Old 12-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #16

I'm toying with adding a second gasket inboard of the original, which is stiff, but mostly serviceable. Any thoughts about a bulb type seal as opposed to a closed foam of constant cross section?
Old 03-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #17

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
What finally happened on this thread. The door gasket seems ok on my 1971 Hadco Fridge, but the ice cube box gasket on it is dry and cracked. Sounds similar to yours.

You used to be able to buy misc gaskets by the foot, but that doesnt happen anymore. Finally I talked to a repair guy and asked if an adhesive foam weatherstripping would work. He told me yes, and added that he restored a 1920's fridge about 15 years ago, couldnt find a gasket, used a black foam (thanks donna) and fifteen years later its still working great.
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post
What finally happened on this thread. .........
I ended up buying a refrigerator to replace the ice box. I do think the baby oil (mineral oil) helped a little, but not night and day better.

Tags
refrigerator, uhaul