UHaul tail lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #1

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
UHaul tail lights

I have been in contact with a tail light manufacturer who can reproduce the Tail light lens. It will not say UHaul on it. I am looking to judge the amount of interest there might be before investing in the tooling necessaryto produce the product. For 100 pieces it looks like the costwill be in the $75 range per lens after I factor in Customs duties shipping and tooling. 200 pieces will get about a $10 break on the total. Obviously the more I buy the cheaper the individual cost. Unfortunately there are only a limited number of these critter floating around so I think I am limited to 100-200. If I get enough interest It may be worthwhile or if someone else wants to partner I am open to that option.
Michael J.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Will they be available in solid red ??
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Wow, this sounds like a huge financial investment to me. I don't think there are 100 U-haul owners on the forums between here and at the UHaulForum. I wish you well, I truly do.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Mike, thanks for checking into this. Would be nice to have a supplier for these babies. I'd like a pair of standard (red/amber) taillights, but at this price, I want to make sure its a reputable fabricator with quality products. Have you checked out other work that they do?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #5

New York
If anyone happened to watch an episode of American Restoration on the History Channel where they were restoring some old motor scooter, they needed to make a new tail light lens. They used the old one to make a mold, poured in some liquid plastic (don't know where that came from or how) and next thing you know they had a nice new lens. I'm sure it's not as simple as they made it look. Seems to me a solid red lens would be easier to make.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #6

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Michael, I would be interested in red/amber set. That would be great "Bling" for my girl.

Donna, I know we come and go, but over the past two years I have listed 129 owners and I did not go back further than that. That's a good percentage if only about 2200 were made.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We have been waiting for the previous poster who has been experimenting with making lenses. No word for several months now. His price per set was about the same ($150 for two). I would like a set from your source if you think it is a well built lens. Either red/amber or all red is fine with us, but red/amber is preferred. Would you like us to send you the money pre-manufacture?

By the way, if I read this correctly, you need 50 orders to make the 100 units, right?
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #8

Trailer: 84 U-Haul CT
Michael,
I'd be interested in a set...red/amber or solid red. I won't be picky about it. I'm afraid to take mine off for fear that they will fall apart. I only hope that I don't blow a bulb. I did buy some of the metal ones, but will only use as a last resort. Too ugly!

Marty D
Marty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #9

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Will they be available in solid red ??
Not unless I can sell a hundred of them, figured the original would be more popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Wow, this sounds like a huge financial investment to me. I don't think there are 100 U-haul owners on the forums between here and at the UHaulForum. I wish you well, I truly do.
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Mike, thanks for checking into this. Would be nice to have a supplier for these babies. I'd like a pair of standard (red/amber) taillights, but at this price, I want to make sure its a reputable fabricator with quality products. Have you checked out other work that they do?
seem to be a big outfit Manufacturers Automotive Lights | Exporters Automotive Lights | Automotive Lighting Equipments India | Two Wheeler Lights India| Led Auto Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
We have been waiting for the previous poster who has been experimenting with making lenses. No word for several months now. His price per set was about the same ($150 for two). I would like a set from your source if you think it is a well built lens. Either red/amber or all red is fine with us, but red/amber is preferred. Would you like us to send you the money pre-manufacture?Not ready to pull the trigger just yet

By the way, if I read this correctly, you need 50 orders to make the 100 units, right?
not necessarly some may want only 1

There is one other option. Take a look at the old Sprinter Taillights on American Pickers. The problem is the curvature of the lens and the $50 for a used one. size is within a quarter of an inch both ways and you have to cut it apart heat it to bend and then drill the holes but it looks possible. I think I will also have to have a gasket rehab also to be viable.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #10

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
I have been in contact with a tail light manufacturer who can reproduce the Tail light lens. It will not say UHaul on it. I am looking to judge the amount of interest there might be before investing in the tooling necessaryto produce the product. For 100 pieces it looks like the costwill be in the $75 range per lens after I factor in Customs duties shipping and tooling. 200 pieces will get about a $10 break on the total. Obviously the more I buy the cheaper the individual cost. Unfortunately there are only a limited number of these critter floating around so I think I am limited to 100-200. If I get enough interest It may be worthwhile or if someone else wants to partner I am open to that option.
Michael J.
Michael, I'm interested in purchasing a set if they're a true reproduction of the original lens. I also want the rubber gasket if they can mfg those.

Thanks for looking into this!
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #11

Name: Bill and Sue
Trailer: CT 13 U-Haul
Montana
Michael, I have a CT 13, and I would be very interested. Yours, Bill and Sue
Bill Peddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #12

Indiana
Registry
Attached is a photo of the tail lens made by one of the members here. Higginra purchased and installed it. I think it looks pretty good. As such I have decided not to pursue the effort of importing reproduction lenses. I will explore the gasket modification repair as it appears to be a more viable option.
Michael J.
Attached Thumbnails
image-3139447448.jpg  
Old 10-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #13

New York
I must have missed that one, what exactly did he do to make that lens.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
My cousin spoke with 3D printer users who said that 3D printers can manufacture a copy of the taillight.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #15

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I must have missed that one, what exactly did he do to make that lens.
poured plastic resin/ The seem to be somewhat thicker but look just fine. my only issue would be exposure to UV light.
i am going to try the Sprinter tail light option first

Tags
light, lights, tail lights, uhaul