ultra cheap paint job... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Not sure if this info has been posted

Thinking of doing this on my trailer....need to research a bit more but looks viable

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master.ht...ollarpaint.html
joelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Not sure if this info has been posted

Thinking of doing this on my trailer....need to research a bit more but looks viable

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master.ht...ollarpaint.html
My son was all hot to trot with this process when he decided to paint his old car (89 MR-2) and acquired all the bits to do it. He ran a couple of tests and seemed satisfied with the results. Then he bought a "new" old car (another Mark I MR-2, but white with way better paint) and scrapped the old one. (I've still got a door in the garage if anybody wants it - kind of a ratty dark blue.) Never did get to see the paint process done fully.
David Swinnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Looks as good as the Earl Scheib pant job my dad had done on his 1954 ford wagon for $29.95 back in 1960. That thing seemed like 1/2 inch thick enamel and still shined when he dumped it in the 70's.

My buddy once sprayed his 66 Dodge van with rustoleum brown, took a lot of cans but that van didn't look too bad for several years.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
Looks as good as the Earl Scheib pant job my dad had done on his 1954 ford wagon for $29.95 back in 1960. That thing seemed like 1/2 inch thick enamel and still shined when he dumped it in the 70's.

My buddy once sprayed his 66 Dodge van with rustoleum brown, took a lot of cans but that van didn't look too bad for several years.
But, isn't rustoleum more appropriate for metal and not advised for fiberglass/pvc?
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:03 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Rustoleum is a brand and they have lots of paints, some are anti-rust and some are just paint.

If I were looking at painting an egg, I'd be talking to boat and corvette places, not steel body places. People have a tendency to give advice about stuf they are good at, and painting fiberglass is not something that a steel body painter is likely to be very good at.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:21 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've painted a lot of cars. Both metal and fiberglass. With fiberglass, you do not want to wet sand it as the glass can have pockets that will trap microscopic amounts of water causing blistering. Best advice if you don't want to spend a fortune is to still spend a fair amount. Go to Autozone or Advanced auto parts and get the proper prep materials and do a base coat and clear coat. I have done great paint jobs in my driveway. Just pick a dry early morning and you won't get bugs. If you do, wait until the coat dries and pick it off with an xacto knife with a number 64 blade. This will cost you about $300.00 in materials depending on the color and just rent a spray rig for the day if you don't have one. You can get a great book for about $10.00 to learn everything you need to know to accomplish a good job. The end result is directly proportonal to the quality of the paint product and the prep work.
Terry Neumann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting