Ultrasonic LPG level device. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Ultrasonic LPG level device.

New LPG level ultrasonic device by Truma, expensive but it seems to work.

A clear view
www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-xEVKbwLLw

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #2

Trailer:
The cheapest price online for these in Britain is about $80 excluding sales tax.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita
This is crazy!! If you just pour boiling water on the tank you will see the actual level of the remaining propane. The difference in temperature creates a line of "frost" on the tank that is quite visible. Or, you can just weigh the tank. All tanks have the empty weight of the tank stamped on them. A 20# (of propane) tanke is typically around 17# empty
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK Gray View Post
This is crazy!! If you just pour boiling water on the tank you will see the actual level of the remaining propane. The difference in temperature creates a line of "frost" on the tank that is quite visible. Or, you can just weigh the tank. All tanks have the empty weight of the tank stamped on them. A 20# (of propane) tanke is typically around 17# empty
If I would end up with LPG in my new RV I would very likely get this measuring device simply for convenience sake, but, I wouldn’t call hot water or weighing methods crazy, just cumbersome.

George.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
If you're going to spend $80, you might as well buy a fiberglass tank where you can easily see the propane level (without hot water).

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
If you're going to spend $80, you might as well buy a fiberglass tank where you can easily see the propane level (without hot water).
Valid point, I had 2 of them on my Bigfoot. They were inside the Bigfoot's fiberglass cover and in order to see the level I had to shake and illuminate them with a flashlight from the top. If tanks would be completely exposed you could likely see the level without shaking or a flashlight.

We are slowly solidifying our next RV decision on getting a Sprinter and converting it to VW Westfalia like (Westy) with which we are familiar from our past. If we decide to use LPG for heating and cooking (not my preference but less expensive than diesel) only steel or aluminum tanks are available and this ultrasonic device would be a perfect choice.

George.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Everybody please buy one! I'll wait until it gets popular enough to buy in the U.S. at RadioShack... My price point?... $19.95

Until then... we have a tank with a float level & guage. It works fairly well but we can't do exchange. I still haven't found a method much better than weighing the tank pre trip, then guessing how much I'll use.
I hate it when they charge a flat rate for a fill-up and my tank still has some in it.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote