Unbelievable, but true! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2018, 09:48 AM   #41

Name: Mark
Trailer: Perris Pacer '87
VA
Registry
They must have added a zero on the price by mistake
ValleyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:12 PM   #42

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
What exactly is "click bait"? A link that is intended to entice someone, deceptively, to click it?
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #43

Trailer: 1973 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian G. View Post
What exactly is "click bait"? A link that is intended to entice someone, deceptively, to click it?
Enticement to click-through, yes. Deception...well...not necessarily. Deception, in the context of the original link to this thread, suggests a link to something intended to harm in some way. It doesn't.
Tony O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:29 PM   #44

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian G. View Post
THIS is click bait.. you have been warned.. will you click it?

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:29 PM   #45

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

Yes, I clicked it - because I read the URL in the lower left of my browser screen and saw that it was linked to Wikipedia. It reads: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clickbait

In inspecting the URL by mousing over the link I knew it was innocuous. Facebook is famous for refining the click-bait technique by plastering person-specific click-bait designed to keep your eyes glued on their site as long as absolutely possible. Irrisistableness works - that's why they make billion$ by giving something away for free: a social network laden with advertising tailored to its individual users.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:38 PM   #46

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony O View Post
Yes, I clicked it - because I read the URL in the lower left of my browser screen and saw that it was linked to Wikipedia. It reads: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clickbait..
Yes that is a good procedure, and works fine... until the hackers hijack the address and use URL redirection.

Where there is a will, there is a way, and hackers have a lot of will. Some browsers will warn you of redirection but its hard to be 100% safe online.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:11 PM   #47

Registry
Quote:
Yes that is a good procedure, and works fine... until the hackers hijack the address and use URL redirection.

Where there is a will, there is a way, and hackers have a lot of will. Some browsers will warn you of redirection but its hard to be 100% safe online.
Well, I would hope a Senior Member of the FiberglassRV forum with thousands of moderator-vetted comments would not post a nefarious, redirected link.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:21 PM   #48

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
It certainly made me laugh. Anyone who wonders why it looks that way just needs to read what the poster had to say about when he lived in it.

The author did say he lived in it first year out of college. Photographic proof that way too many crash pad parties happened in that trailer. It got trashed by an emotionally immature individual who is obviously now very much in need of as much cash as they can pull together.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:28 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Lets go back to the beginning.

I did not say that the link was click bait. I said that the post that contained the link read like click bait.
And here it is:
Unbelievable, but true!
I share this with all of you a reminder of what is possible but (for me, at least), not possible to believe. Be sure to click through all the pictures: https://cosprings.craigslist.org/rvs...571309352.html

It sent chills up my spine.

End Quote.

The content of the link itself is irrelevant. I was speaking to the post that contained the link. That post read like click bait and I don't follow links that appear to be click bait.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:24 AM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Lets go back to the beginning.

I did not say that the link was click bait. I said that the post that contained the link read like click bait.
And here it is:
Unbelievable, but true!
I share this with all of you a reminder of what is possible but (for me, at least), not possible to believe. Be sure to click through all the pictures: https://cosprings.craigslist.org/rvs...571309352.html

It sent chills up my spine.

End Quote.

The content of the link itself is irrelevant. I was speaking to the post that contained the link. That post read like click bait and I don't follow links that appear to be click bait.
Yes, you effectively said that immediately after my original post. I got it and acknowledged your prerogative to ignore the post based on your determination that it appeared to be "click bait."
Old 05-12-2018, 08:30 AM   #51

Name: Judy
Trailer: 13' Scamp "La Cucaracha"
Texas
"THIS" is clickbait

Quote:

Hahaha...you don't have to click on the link to find out what it is...you can right-click and copy the link that "THIS" links to, which is the wikipedia definition of "clickbait" as shown immediately below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clickbait

However, I don't have to go to wikipedia to know that "click bait" is something posted with verbiage and/or pictures to mislead the reader and get them to click on the link, thereby (a) earning the poster money; (2) getting the reader to a site where they may be interested in buying something; or (c) loading malware onto the clicker's computer and inflicting harm and stealing information.

By the way..."THIS" is not clickbait in the true sense of the word; it is a "hyperlink" ~ a word or words with a hidden link underneath the surface.

#amirite?
Old 05-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #52

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
The issue arises from open ended statements, something I more commonly see on Facebook than here, though they usually don't have a link there. Things like posting "Grrr, I get so frustrated" where they are just baiting for a response.

When posting a link it is always advised to put a bit of a description of what it is about. A simple thing that will help others decide whether the link is safe, or not.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:43 AM   #53

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
When posting a link it is always advised to put a bit of a description of what it is about. A simple thing that will help others decide whether the link is safe, or not.
Agree. For me it's more about evaluating whether a link is worth my time.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #54

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Agree. For me it's more about evaluating whether a link is worth my time.
Exactly. And it's usually not worth the time if it doesn't contain a bit of real information, a subject or something.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #55

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If I do click on a link and it's a video, the first thing I do is look at the bar that indicates how long the video is. Don't need to view 20 minutes of shaky camera work describing how to lower a stabilizer.