Up On Jacks and Anything Under Tires Needed? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Up On Jacks and Anything Under Tires Needed?

Dear FGRV Owners,
I have another quick question that's kind of bugging me. I put my 13' Scamp up on jacks the other day to store for winter. It is parked on a stone pad near my garage...thin layer of stones over dirt.
After I jacked her up, I placed a level on the tongue and bumper and noticed it was off level to one side. So I placed a few more wood blocks under the front and rear jack on that side and got the trailer quite level.
However, after this, I noticed that the side that I had to add a few wood blocks too, the tire is spinning off the ground nicely, while the other side, the tire touches the ground. I suppose it couldn't be helped because the stone pad is not level, and I know the trailer is reasonably level, so....
I'm wondering if I should jack it up a bit and slide a piece of plywood or a lynx leveler (if it will fit) under the tire that touches the ground. I do plan on buying wheel covers, but are my concerns warranted? Thank you so much for your advice!

Sincerely,
CampyTime
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Campy Time, from what I have gathered from others on the forum, is that the weight of the trailer should be off the rubber torsion suspension during storage, in order to get more longevity out of it. It appears that is what you have done even though one tire is touching the ground just enough not to allow it to spin freely. I believe that it is fine this way. If it still is of concern to you, you could just scrape away some of the stones covering the dirt under that tire. I also learn from this forum and perhaps the hard way, that the factory installed rear bumper jacks are there just to keep the unit "stable" after it is level, and are not to be used to support much weight. If used to support the trailer weight the frame can bend and crack (mine did but I am not sure if this was the only cause). I have since mounted car scissor jacks to the frame just behind the wheel on both sides. This allows me to quickly jack the tires safely off the ground and place less stress on the frame. I also use small safety stands under the frame up front where the trailer body meets it, in order to keep the stress off the trailer tongue (my tongue jack is the swing a way style mounted to the driver side of the tongue). I hope this helps.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01349.jpg   DSC01350.jpg  

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Wendy it should be fine as is. As David mention the goal is simple to take pressure off the tension axle & the wheels really do not need to be all the way off the ground to do that.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
put some plywood under the tires, to prevent leaching.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
No need to be level unless you want to run the fridge. Take the weight off by jacking up near the axle but not on the axle tube. Then stabilize front and rear.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #6

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Thank you to all of you lovely people for replying to me regarding the Scamp and the tire question. I won't give it another worry then as I know the pressure is relieved on the torsion axle now. I have two jacks in front as well, about 12-14" behind where the trailer fiberglass wall meets the tongue. Maybe someday when cash flows a bit better I'll get the pad blacktopped so everything will be easier. This year, I bought one of those Ebay covers...we'll see how everything holds up! Many thanks to you all for your wonderful support.

Warm Regards,
Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires