update and new question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #1

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 13'
Oregon
Registry
Cool Lil Bigfoot update and new question

Okay, I finally got my roof vent replaced. I ended up taking it to the local Rv guys at Gibs RV the one who use to sell the Bigfoot Trailers. They wouldn't put a larger vent in because they would have to cut into the fiberglass which they wouldn't do because it was framed for the smaller one. So I let them just replace it with the same size. They bedded it with the butyl and put Dicor lap sealant on the outside. They did a nice enough job I'm going to let them install all my new water lines, faucet and electric pump. This way I'll get it all done at once and I don't have to fight with it. So now on to my chores which was, I started washing all of the winters dirt off of it today. Boy did the water run white. I still have more washing to do but in the process I confirmed that the gasket around the door window can leak if you are pushing on it with a wash brush. I also noticed that the weather stripping on the door is partly missing. So where do I find a new rubber seal for the door window and what kind of weather stripping should be on the door?
MsRubyLu-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:43 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm sure the rv guys will have some, the rubber seal is generic to most trailers and comes in rolls. As far as the door window, it will have to be removed and new butyl tape installed, like the roof vent.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #3

Oregon
Registry
Thanks Jim, I wasn't sure about the door seal since mine was so wide. Is it normal to put screws through it? I post a picture later to show you but mine looks strange and does have stress/age cracks in it.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #4

Oregon
Registry
Pictures of Lil Bigfoot Door glass molding

Here are a couple of quick shots. Without taking the door apart I can't tell what is really in there. There are no screws on the outside but there are definitely screws on the inside that have been there awhile. The door is not in the best of shape but it still functions okay at this point. It's not really like a rubber gasket that I found on-line
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0363.JPG   IMG_0364.JPG  

IMG_0366.JPG  
Old 05-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #5

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
That window frame is a two-part thermoformed Kydex clamshell which sandwiches the glazing, glass or plexi. Nothing at all exotic. Removing the screws from the bezel will release it from its mate on the exterior. Be careful the glass doesn't fall and break. The exterior bezel, although not a gasket itself, does require a gasket or bedding compound to seal against water entry between itself and the Lexan skin of the door. Likewise between the glass and the exterior bezel. I used butyl tape to redo mine.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #6

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
That window frame is a two-part thermoformed Kydex clamshell which sandwiches the glazing, glass or plexi. Nothing at all exotic. Removing the screws from the bezel will release it from its mate on the exterior. Be careful the glass doesn't fall and break. The exterior bezel, although not a gasket itself, does require a gasket or bedding compound to seal against water entry between itself and the Lexan skin of the door. Likewise between the glass and the exterior bezel. I used butyl tape to redo mine.

jack
Thank you Jack, I think I can do this and suspect who ever had it apart before didn't use any butyl tape. I think the PO was a silicone-aholic. Are there any support tabs that hold the glass in place while you work?.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #7

Delaware
Yes, there are tabs around the inner perimeter of the bezels which center the light with even margin all around. DON'T over tighten screws and distort or pucker the bezels.

Sealing the interior of the door from moisture intrusion really does matter as there is wood infill used around the top, bottom and sides of these doors for catching fasteners from the finish extrusions and these certainly will rot out in the presence of water.

jack
Old 05-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #8

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Hi Kathy.
I ended up totally rebuilding my Lil Bigfoot door due to a leaky window.
There wasn't an originale peice of wood in the door when I finished.
I ran a small bead of silicone around the frame where the window touches the frame.
The small amount that oozed out was very easy to clean up wtth a razor blade.
I also sealed the frame where it contacted the door with silicone.
Silicone stays flexible and will flex with the door and glass.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Donna will tell you, like oil/water, silicone and fiberglass do not mix!!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #10

Oregon
Registry
Thanks guys, I think I saw the silicone lecture a couple of times in my reading but I don't think the PO ever read that one.

I'll do the window with butyl for now the next dry day I get. To keep it from getting any worse.

The inside of the door looks like it has been taken apart at some point so I'm hoping I can camp for awhile before I get into too many large repairs.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #11

Delaware
Same deal as Perry's. I replaced all the perimeter wood except the upper lock side and the top with rips off a pressure treated 2x6. I think the finish dimension between skins was less than 1-1/2". Need to get this right or the edge fill will bulge the door skins. No fiberglass surfaces involved. A silicone caulk would probably adhere well enuf. Putty tape might be a bit less messy and the squeeze out easier to clean up.

jack
Old 05-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #12

Oregon
Registry
The inside of my door looks like an aluminum sheet while the outside looks more like a fiberglass panel. I think I'll try the butyl tape since I bought enough to last me two lifetimes and I'm not very good with my caulking gun.

John - what was the inside of your bigfoot door like??
Old 05-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #13

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
Hi Kathy.
I ended up totally rebuilding my Lil Bigfoot door due to a leaky window.
There wasn't an originale peice of wood in the door when I finished.
I ran a small bead of silicone around the frame where the window touches the frame.
The small amount that oozed out was very easy to clean up wtth a razor blade.
I also sealed the frame where it contacted the door with silicone.
Silicone stays flexible and will flex with the door and glass.
Dunno what the big deal is around here about silicone, Perry, but there sure seems to be one! Like most materials, it has its uses, and you haven't destroyed or otherwise completely ruined your trailer by using it.

Your repair sounds good, the results evidently satisfactory, and I doubt that it will have a negative effect on the resale value twenty years from now when you decide to sell it.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #14

Kathy,
The door is a wooden frame inside.
The wood was rotten almost half up from the bottom.
The inside of the door is like a regular conventional hollow core door.

Thanks Francesca,
In most instances silicone has been over used and created problems for new EGG owners.
That's the reason for the big deal about silicone.

Used judiciously it's a great sealer as it does not dry out and crumble as do some window sealers and is very flexible.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Donna will tell you, like oil/water, silicone and fiberglass do not mix!!!

But plastic, glass and silicone do.

The butyl is to thick amd will distort and possibly crack the plastic frame.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRubyLu-Kathy View Post
Thanks guys, I think I saw the silicone lecture a couple of times in my reading but I don't think the PO ever read that one.

I'll do the window with butyl for now the next dry day I get. To keep it from getting any worse.

The inside of the door looks like it has been taken apart at some point so I'm hoping I can camp for awhile before I get into too many large repairs.

I have read the the long disertations on silicone.

Most of the reasons given for not using it are good.
After rebuilding at least 10 eggs in the last 7 or 8 years I have learned you have to take some advice here with grain of salt.

I refurbished all of them as if I were going to keep them.

I sold my Lil Bigfoot just like yours.
I sold it for $7500.00 and had several people offer to pay more if I would renege on my first deal.
They all said it looked like a new trailer even with judicial use of silicone sealant.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #17

Oregon
Registry
Sorry John, I should have said what did the original inside skin on your door look like mine looks like an colored aluminum panel it is the correct color for my trailer, was yours wood or aluminum carpeted??
Old 05-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRubyLu-Kathy View Post
Sorry John, I should have said what did the original inside skin on your door look like mine looks like an colored aluminum panel it is the correct color for my trailer, was yours wood or aluminum carpeted??

Aluminum.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #19

Oregon
Registry
John, Thanks for the information I still haven't started on the door window. Hopefully this next week. The weather is looking good to tear into it.

The new faucet is in yeah! Also a new on demand water pump and all new water lines, Since its supposed to be nice for a few days I'm finally going to take her to the campground instead of the driveway. Here are the before and after pics of the faucet. It even has a pull out sprayer.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0800.jpg   DSCN0804.jpg  

Old 06-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #20

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Wow, I absolutely LOVE that sink and sprayer!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot