Using side marker lights as turn signals - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-23-2006, 06:21 PM   #29
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
A blinking yellow light up high on a 5th wheel where the passenger and possibly the driver of a vehicle parallel to the 5th wheel could see is nothing more than a caution signal regardless if the truck pulling the trailer was applying the brakes or making a turn signal. Brakes are not normally applied in a timed manner such as a turn signal anyway and the running lights remain on all the time and do not flash. More than likely the driver of the parallel vehicle would be unable to see both red taillights of the truck doing the pulling and the cautionary yellow signal should alert the driver to something is going on.

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:53 PM   #30
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
... all arguments about the wisdom/legality of blinking the side markers aside...
A few people have mentioned that it would be a good idea to check for legality, but I haven't heard an argument (or any kind of disagreement) here about that; I think everyone who has posted agrees that it's a good idea to blink on the sides for turn signals, so there's no argument there, either.

Al, I'm looking forward to hearing what you decide to do.

1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #31
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

[b]IMHO you need a 2nd set of lights; I have purchased an additional amber set, and plan to mount them just above the existing amber side marker lights toward the front of the coach. You need to keep the original marker lights intact.

Keep in mind that these will light when you [b]brake as well.
Just before embarking on my 3 week road trip from San Diego via The Oregon Gathering to Saint Louis and back to San Diego, I installed my 2nd set of amber side markers just above the existing side marker lights toward the front of my Fiber Stream, and I wired these [b]extra lights into the turn signal/brake light circuits. They worked well, as expected. I did not notice any improvement in other drivers behavior, however.

Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote

lighting, lights