Using side marker lights as turn signals - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2006, 07:26 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Boler
Hi Everyone

Have gutted my 13 ft boler and as such have access to the wiring. Would like to make the outside running/marker lights flash, so when I turn left the left running lights flash and the same with the right. Has anyone ever done this mod. Do I modify the wiring or need new side markers as well

Cheers
Al
al gilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Hi Everyone

Have gutted my 13 ft boler and as such have access to the wiring. Would like to make the outside running/marker lights flash, so when I turn left the left running lights flash and the same with the right. Has anyone ever done this mod. Do I modify the wiring or need new side markers as well

Cheers
Al
I assume it would be easy enough to connect the marker lights to the same circuit as the tail lights. I don't know if you are using a 4-pin or 7-pin connector for the trailer. It would be easy enough to connect as a temp. connection and see how it works. I don't know about the legality of the mod. tho. Another consideration is the wiring circuit... your wiring/fuses may not be able to handle the additional current. In that case it might be possible to convert both to LED's to reduce the current required to illuminate.
John & Sandy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:31 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Hi Everyone

Cheers
Al
I'm wondering if that's legale. You might want to find out before doing this.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:01 AM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Each state has a law about side markers. Check your DMV a codes.

My side markers come on when the running lights come on. I think (But am not sure) that this is a requirement for all trailers in California that are not utility trailers.

Law or no, mine will stay the way, it makes sense to me.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:30 AM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Hi Everyone

Have gutted my 13 ft boler and as such have access to the wiring. Would like to make the outside running/marker lights flash, so when I turn left the left running lights flash and the same with the right. Has anyone ever done this mod. Do I modify the wiring or [b]need new side markers as well

Cheers
Al
I have also been interested in doing this kind of mod. [b]IMHO you need a 2nd set of lights; I have purchased an additional amber set, and plan to mount them just above the existing amber side marker lights toward the front of the coach. You need to keep the original marker lights intact. I don't recommend adding a duplicate set of red lights toward the rear.

My trailer's color code has a GREEN wire feeding the existing side marker lights. For the new added lights I plan to tap into the RED wire for the left side and the BROWN wire for the right side. Keep in mind that these will light when you [b]brake as well.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Most USA branded vehicles use the brake lite as the turn signal so the side marker will come on when you turn and when you apply the brake. To get around this and have it blink only when turning, you would have to run a separate pair of wires from the Front Turn signals to the egg because the front turn signals do not come on when the brake is used.

This is not the case for the foreign branded vehicles that have separate bulbs for turn and brake lights. In that case, you would be required to have additional cable connections from the tug to the egg.

I installed an additional LED turn/brake yellow lite up towards the front of the egg (5th wheel) where it transitions up from the egg to the truck. It comes on when I brake and flashes when I turn and I don't care about the state dot crap. You see turn signals on the sides of mirors, the sides of pickups, small cars, big trucks, the sides of tractor/trailers all blinking so I went ahead and put the lite where it will be visable to the person in the blind spot next to the egg when I either need to stop or notify of a turn.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:23 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
As Darwin explained, if you are using a combined brake/turn system you will need to go to a separated scheme so that your side turn signals don't come on with the brakes. Some more notes on that:
  • even tow vehicles (such as my Sienna) with separate (from the brake) turn signals typically have trailer wiring adapters which provide combined brake/turn signals
  • converters are available which provide the separate signals instead of combining them
  • if using a 6-pin connector without brakes, or a 7-pin RV connector with unused auxilliary pin, or a 7-pin commerical connector, there are enough pins to carry the separate brake and turn signals without another connector
  • if you want to keep combined brake/turn lights on the rear while controlling separate side turn signals from the tow vehicle, then you do need another connector (or some much less common connector with 9 pins - there is a 9-pin Bargman like the usual 7-pin RV connector, and various other designs usually in military use)
Having already experienced a circuit capacity problem with my tail/marker/clearance lights (due to the large number of them), I agree with John/Sandy's concern and solution: I would use LED lamps (for both existing and added units) to keep the current requirement down.

Even aside from legal requirements, I wouldn't want to lose the side marker function, so simply using the existing lights as turn signals seems like a bad idea. That leads to at least three approaches:
  1. as Frederick suggested, add completely separate lamps on the turn circuits, leaving the existing markers alone (may have mounting and aesthetic issues)
    • added lamps at the rear can be amber, which would be more effective as turn signals than the markers (which need to be red)
    • unlike the markers (which only need to be visible in the dark), the turn signals should be bright enough to be noticeable in daylight
  2. replace the existing marker lamps with dual-intensity lamps - one for marker, and a brighter level for turning
    • it might be possible to using the existing lamps and just change the bulbs and holders inside them
    • if using regular bulbs, this means going to dual-filament bulbs or two bulbs, with appropriate holders
  3. use one relay per side to invert the side markers with the turn signal
    • they are on whenever the taillights are on, except that they cycle off during each turn flash
    • they are off when the taillights are off, except that they cycle on during each turn signal flash
    • this could be wired with one input from the taillight circuit and the other from a power passed on by a normally-closed relay which opened by the tail circuit (a logical "not" function); the output to the side turn signals is from the common terminal of the relay
    • this is basically how the combined brake/turn lamps are managed in the wiring of the tow vehicle or converter
I think the side turn signals is a good idea; I find buses, trucks, and cars with turn signals in the front fender or side mirror are much more noticeable when lane changing in traffic.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Al,
Beyond the legalities which can be verified with your Alberta equivalent to our Department of Motor Vehicles, I'd try hooking up some LED's temporarily to make sure the flasher, fuse and existing wiring can handle the extra current draw. ` The concept makes sense to me from a safety view point, but there may actually be a negative side which I'm not .
Please keep us posted on your discoveries both on legalities and mechanical practicalities.
You've brought up a very interesting concept which many of us have briefly thought of but never acted upon. Your idea may very well prove to be an inspiration to quite a few of us.

Ann and our Grandson Sean have been baking Christmas cookies and Sean just brought a sample. Error...I forgot to push the keyboard beneath the desk top! Now I've got to turn it upside down and hope I can shake out the crumbs!

Thanks and have a memorable Christmas season.,
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:41 PM   #9

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Seems like I've seen big rigs rigged this way, which certainly tells other vehicles they are changing lanes.
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Al,
Beyond the legalities which can be verified with your Alberta equivalent to our Department of Motor Vehicles...
Hey, Al, I hadn't noticed that you were posting from Calgary. The applicable Alberta regulation is the Vehicle Equipment Regulation (AR322). Here's the entire applicable section:
Quote:
Division 5
Other Lamps

Side marker lamps

39(1) A motor vehicle or trailer must have the following:

( a ) one amber side marker lamp on each side and as close to the front, excluding a trailer tongue, as is practicable;

( b ) one red side marker lamp on each side and as close to the rear as is practicable;

( c ) if it is more than 9.2 metres long, one amber intermediate side marker lamp at or near the midpoint.

(2) The side marker lamp on a motor vehicle or a trailer must not be less than 400 millimetres above the ground when the motor vehicle or trailer is not loaded.

(3) Subsection (1)( a ) does not apply to a trailer that is less than 1.83 metres long, including the trailer tongue.

(4) Subsection (1)( b ) does not apply to a truck tractor.

(5) Subsection (1) does not apply to a motor vehicle or trailer that was manufactured before January 1, 1971.
As I read this, yes, you need front and rear side markers; all trailers do unless they are very short (too small for any travel trailer), or are pre-1971.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Al,
Beyond the legalities which can be verified with your Alberta equivalent to our Department of Motor Vehicles, I'd try hooking up some LED's temporarily to make sure the flasher, fuse and existing wiring can handle the extra current draw. ` The concept makes sense to me from a safety view point, but there may actually be a negative side which I'm not .
Please keep us posted on your discoveries both on legalities and mechanical practicalities.
You've brought up a very interesting concept which many of us have briefly thought of but never acted upon. Your idea may very well prove to be an inspiration to quite a few of us.

Ann and our Grandson Sean have been baking Christmas cookies and Sean just brought a sample. Error...I forgot to push the keyboard beneath the desk top! Now I've got to turn it upside down and hope I can shake out the crumbs!

Thanks and have a memorable Christmas season.,
Kurt & Ann K.
Hi: A good length of Saran Wrap over the key board keeps the crumbs out while still allowing you to type Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Thanks Alf, but Christmas cookies are a once-a-year occurence.
Truth be known, as long as I could purchase another keyboard for $10 or so, I'd gladly swap for fresh warm-out-of-the-oven Christmas cookies.
Anyway, thanks for the reminder about Saran Wrap.
So much for the marker light topic. Just interrupted by a long distance phone call from our son in Stevensville, Montana about when he's coming for Christmas.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I would check the legality locally and maybe get something in writing to show to authority that might not be aware (many things that were not legal, but make good sense, have later become legal, like Hazard Flashers, small wipers for headlights, etc. -- The mill grind slowly...). Makes excellent sense to me.

I would use LEDs because sometimes there is already an excess load on the various pieces of wire and connections between the source and a particular bulb.

When I first plugged in my 91S13 to my '98 Ranger (which has separate relays for trailer lights) after my old '82 Dodge D150, the difference in tail light brightness was astounding -- I dunno whether the old truck was too loaded, or it's wiring was getting sick or the trailer's wiring simply responded better to higher voltage, but the difference was definitely enlightening
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
When I saw how crusty and corroded the old side marker and tailight wires were I abandoned the whole show.
I got a wire kit for a boat trailer and stapled it underneath to the plywood floor.
Why try to clean up a corroded mess? Underneath is dryer and easier to fix.
The only reason the factory put the wires in the wall in first place is because it was easier for them. They drop the shell on the frame prewired. Thus a lot of moisture slides down inside the walls into the wire connections and causes corrosion.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 1980 Boler 17 ft
Hi I installed new running lights on my 13 foot boler and on the 17 foot as well.As only the 17 has clearance lights mounted high up on the corners. The new lights were mounted beside the reflectors front and rear.I used the 2 bulb double bulleye style with old style bulbs with brass bases not led's. The mounting holes are used as grounding points.As our glass eggs require wiring ground to all lights I used the hot side of the lights for ground and connected the running or tail wiring to one mounting bolt on the inside and the stop/turn to the other mounting bolt.I used shrink wrap to insulate the bolts.In operation the front bulleye light in each unit are on with the running lights and the rear bulleye lamp works with the turn/brake light. Yes the rear bulleye does light when only the brakes are used but I can pick up the lights with the side mirrors and see that the tail/brake/turn lights are working while driving.
Lloyd Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:39 PM   #16

Quote:
...I installed an additional LED turn/brake yellow lite up towards the front of the egg (5th wheel) where it transitions up from the egg to the truck. [b]It comes on when I brake and flashes when I turn and I don't care about the state dot crap. You see turn signals on the sides of mirors, the sides of pickups, small cars, big trucks, the sides of tractor/trailers all blinking so I went ahead and put the lite where it will be visable to the person in the blind spot next to the egg when I either need to stop or notify of a turn.
(I added the bolding for emphasis)

My only concern with this is that the additional lamp comes with the brake lights, even if it is only the brake lights, which seems entirely inappropriate.

For someone driving in the lane beside the trailer, far enough up that they cannot see the trailer's real brake lights, every time you touch the brakes these side lamps would flash on; if it were me in that lane, I would be quite concerned that the driver pulling the trailer was about to lane-change into me. That could earn a horn blast and maybe evasive braking from me, and I would be really annoyed when I realized that it was brake lights mounted on the side of a vehicle!

I agree that there are lots of precedents for side-mounted turn signals, and that they are a good thing. I would be very surprised if they were against the rules anywhere in the world. The practice of using combined brake and turn signals for trailers really does make the noble goal of side-mounted separate turn signals much more difficult to achieve.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:53 PM   #17

Registry
A quick and I quick internet search seems to indicate that side marker lights with auxiliery turn signals something that's done on truck trailers. I've seen cars with auxiliery turn signals in side markers that operate oposite of the turn signal light. That is the side marker is bright when the parking light is off or the tail light is dim. I believe that in these cases the side marker lights have two elements in them. One for marker lights and one for turn signals.
I could be wrong, but I would still want to check it with the local DMV. Some laws are pretty wierd. PA had a law that allowed only one parking/turn light. The 1958 Chevrolet had to have one of the two parking/turn lights blocked rendered unusable before they could be sold in PA. Strange, eh, but real. The moral is check with local DMV before proceeding.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:32 AM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I agree with everyone....check with DMV. We can only give you what we hope are honest appraisals and/or opinions, but Al you're the one to pay the fine if we give you wrong information!

Talk about weird laws...in Oregon, motor vehicles are required to have windshield wipers...but not windshields
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #19

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
A quick and I quick internet search seems to indicate that side marker lights with auxiliery turn signals something that's done on truck trailers.
I've also seen the plug & socket for Semi-Trailers... They use a [b]7-pin arangement and they have separate brake and turn circuits.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:03 PM   #20

The plug and socket which I have seen for commercial trucks is a round-bodied 7-pin design (commonly made by Cole Hersee, e.g. their part 12061); it is different from the RV or "Bargman" style (which also has a round body) in that it is smaller and has all round pins. The normal use of this design accommodates separate brake and turn signals - and even a separate line for clearance lights (separate from the running or tail lights) - in only 7 pins because it does not use any for battery-charging power or for electric brakes. In no particular order...
  • ground
  • tail
  • stop
  • left turn
  • right turn
  • clearance
  • auxiliary
Someone must need a lot of connections to their trailers, because Cole Hersee also sells 12-pole and 13-pole connectors; I don't know what they're used for.

The separated signals are readily accommodated in the RV style connector by assigning the auxiliary connector (the centre round pin with the yellow wire) for the stop (brake) light, and reassigning the left and right pins to be for the turn signals only, not combined brake and turn.

I guess the point is that commercial trailers routinely have separate brake and turn signals available, so they can run those side-mounted turn signals properly.

Tags
lighting, lights