Using Zep to restore oxidized fiberglass - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #29

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Pam
Not swure where your located , if in Canada you'll find most buildind supply like Home Depot .Rona carry this product. I sure floor people will also carry it In USA & elswhere.
Ron

Old 08-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #30

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Dolphin 15 ft
Ottawa, ON
Registry
Got mine at home depot in Ottawa, ON, will be applying in tomorrow.
Pictures to follow in the Dolphin project thread.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #31

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
Ok...if the scamp is already shiny can you put the ZEP on to keep it that way?
Old 08-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #32

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
I am guessing if you have doubts about the results you should first test a small area with the Zep. If, for example someone layed on a coat of wax, that might (?) be a problem with the Zep. Remember that properly applied Zep creates a thin but hard shell coating so anything under it, like dirt, will be trapped there.

Best advice: NEVER apply slopped-on.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #33

Name: Mike
Trailer: 13' Scamp
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Ok...if the scamp is already shiny can you put the ZEP on to keep it that way?
I have a 2011 13' scamp that I recently purchased. The previous owner had it shipped from Backus and stored it outside for two years. There were a few spots that still had a good shine while others were chalky. Rather than try to blend it I just decided to treat the entire thing. Just like everyone else, I started with cleaning it with soapy water (a few drops of Dawn with warm water), then scrubbed it down with Bar Keeper's Friend (used a textured cloth typically used to scrub bugs off cars so as not to scratch anything). Rinsed thoroughly and applied 5 coats of Zep. The chalky sections are now shiny and the shiny parts are even shinier. If your Scamp is already shiny and you store it in the garage or some type of shelter, then it's probably not necessary to apply any Zep. It's the prolonged exposure to the elements (sun and rain) that take the shine away. If it's stored outside without a cover it will eventually lose it's shine no matter how it's treated. I've attached before and after pictures. Don't mind the smaller tires on the after picture, I use those to get the Scamp in the garage.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #34

Name: Mike
Trailer: 13' Scamp
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrueger View Post
I have a 2011 13' scamp that I recently purchased. The previous owner had it shipped from Backus and stored it outside for two years. There were a few spots that still had a good shine while others were chalky. Rather than try to blend it I just decided to treat the entire thing. Just like everyone else, I started with cleaning it with soapy water (a few drops of Dawn with warm water), then scrubbed it down with Bar Keeper's Friend (used a textured cloth typically used to scrub bugs off cars so as not to scratch anything). Rinsed thoroughly and applied 5 coats of Zep. The chalky sections are now shiny and the shiny parts are even shinier. If your Scamp is already shiny and you store it in the garage or some type of shelter, then it's probably not necessary to apply any Zep. It's the prolonged exposure to the elements (sun and rain) that take the shine away. If it's stored outside without a cover it will eventually lose it's shine no matter how it's treated. I've attached before and after pictures. Don't mind the smaller tires on the after picture, I use those to get the Scamp in the garage.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2315738764.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	65102

Before

Attachment 65103

After

Name:	image-4287491556.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	65104

Before

Name:	image-1528225780.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	65105

Before (still some shine)

Name:	image-3175142005.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	65106

After

Name:	image-1962703430.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	382.0 KB
ID:	65108

After

Name:	image-1735572354.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	65109

After (shinier than before)
Old 06-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #35

Name: k
Trailer: currently shopping
Manitoba
awesome
Old 06-27-2016, 09:20 AM   #36

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
The only caution is if one wants to paint or do a fiberglass repair. In that case you have to really make sure 100% of the Zep wax and any residue is removed. Ammonia, & soapy water mix, Zep makes a remover has been reported to work. I would test in inconspicuous area first. Also the self serve coin operated car wash tire white wall setting is reported to remove the wax. Again I would test for yourself before going all out with it.

I have found that a good cleaning allows me to re-apply a couple or three coats to "freshen" it as needed. Mine is outside storage and the wax takes a beating, plus I get road and farm dirt on it.