Valterra Refrigerator exhaust fan - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-13-2008, 10:08 PM   #15
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

What about the idea of running the fan while towing? Are they normally used this way, or just while stationary?
I originally thought of using mine only while stationary.
However, I now rely on it while towing as well. My OEM fridge, a 110 volt/propane [b]2-way Instamatic by Magnavox, is 30 years old. I pre-chill it at least 24 hours (and sometimes 48 hours) on 110 volts before departing, with 40<sup>o</sup> F on the thermometer I put inside. I have the food cold before loading the fridge. I load the fridge and switch over to propane operation just before departure.

I turn the thermostat past 9 to MAX. Still, the thermometer I put inside reads 50<sup>o</sup> F when I stop for lunch. It takes a full day after arriving at a campground to get back down to 40<sup>o</sup> F.

During the trip I am on right now, by leaving the exhaust fan on while driving, the re-cool to 40<sup>o</sup> F only took until the evening stop of the 1st day on the road.

The NEXT thing I will try is to do the pre-chill on Propane, eliminating the switch-over preventing the 10<sup>o</sup> warm-up that I have to recover from.

I will still run the fan while driving from now on.

Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:01 AM   #16
Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Great feedback from both posts! I think I'll give one a try. That will be a step in the right direction at least, before I spend more time looking at some of the ideas on the other thread. I think I may make more use of the propane option when in camp. It develops a greater temp difference to run the cycle, so it might make sense to run on propane for a while to "recover" after towing before going to 110V.

Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote