Valterra Refrigerator exhaust fan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2008, 10:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 1970 Campster
I'm putting an order together for Dyersonline and wondered if anyone could recommend this exhaust fan? There has been a lot of discussion about using computer fans but this model intrigues me because the size looks bigger than the computer fans and it also has a thermoswitch. However, it's kinda pricey! Do y'all think it's worth what they are asking for it? Can anyone tell me if this is a noisy fan? Thanks for your input!

Dyersonline - Valterra Exhaust Fan
Install at the top of your refrigerator compartment to exhaust out hot air. Includes 12' of wire, lighted on/off switch and thermoswitch that turns fan on at 110 Degrees F and off at 90 degrees F 12 volt.

Manufacture Code: A10-2618VP

List Price $43.49
Your Price $36.61
You Save $6.88
Qty * *
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi:Lisa... yepper it's pricey but not compared to a new fridge or someones health!!! Small improvements are sometimes best.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:05 AM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Hi:Lisa... yepper it's pricey but not compared to a new fridge or someones health!!! Small improvements are sometimes best.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Agreed, you can find the parts a lot cheaper. I got a thermoswitch for my fridge (a Dometic 182B originally out of a Westfalia) for a couple of Dollars, a couple of fans for less than $5 and a switch. I'm running a little short of time this AM, but here is a good article on fridge fixes.

Check out thesamba.com for fridge fixes and parts links or here are some instructions on how to install two fans, one inside and one outside on a single lighted LED switch. If I recall, I got my parts off ebay. Seek and ye shall find.

I have to thank Lisa for bringing the topic up, since I got a few ideas for my fridge searching for the info.

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
I put in a pair of computer fans myself behind the fridge at the top. So far, I suspect that getting a bit of air circulation in there (without needing a huge draft) is more than enough to prevent heat from building up. As you may have picked up from other threads, basic idea is to pull heat out, as opposed to blow air in at the bottom. I found cheap computer fans to be quite whiny however, so I hooked them up in series so they would run at a lower speed and keep quiet. A thermoswitch would be nice, but computer fans draw very low current, so I tend to leave them running for most of the day.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Send a message via MSN to James Harper Send a message via Yahoo to James Harper
I put this on my fridge...very quiet and you dont have to remeber to turn it off every time.....Had it about 2 mos and it works great...

James Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:16 PM   #6

Thanks guys for all your great input and resource links. I now understand the basic theory behind why the air needs to be pulled up over the fins and coils but, unfortunately, I have no clue about reading schematics. Hopefully my brother can interpret all the diagrams for me. I'd rather not spend so much money needlessly, but if it will make the install more comprehensible for me I may be forced to go the Valterra route after all.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
I put this on my fridge...very quiet and you dont have to remeber to turn it off every time.....Had it about 2 mos and it works great...
My wife was with me the last time I went to the local RV dealer and she was just looking around while I was getting some parts. One of the things she noticed was a solar powered fan for the back of a fridge. They also make simple solar powered fans to fit in a car window. This way you wouldn't have to worry about switches, wiring, or running your battery down.
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Send a message via MSN to James Harper Send a message via Yahoo to James Harper
the solar fans are great during the day,,,but in the west coast it stays hot sometimes until late into the evening....

James Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:44 PM   #9

Quote:
One of the things she noticed was a solar powered fan for the back of a fridge. They also make simple solar powered fans to fit in a car window. This way you wouldn't have to worry about switches, wiring, or running your battery down.
Bill
Valterra also makes a solar fan for about $10 more than their other model. However, the solar one does not come equipped with a thermoswitch. I appreciate what you are saying about the ease of the solar installation but, like James pointed out, it would need to be able to operate through the night in Southern California. Some nights around here are quite warm. Cross your fingers that the sales rep tell me what I need to hear!
Lisa
Old 07-13-2008, 07:20 AM   #10

Name: Parker
Trailer: Escape 19
Ohio
Question: Do these fans (and computer fans, etc) help when towing? We run our fridge on 12V power from the TV while enroute, and it's just barely adequate. One would think there would be plenty of ventilation while driving, but maybe not. I do know there is enough to blow out the propane flame, which I've also tried. Of course, the fridge could also use a little help when running on 110V shore power, so the 12V fan is probably the answer. The Valterra seems like a good deal, getting the whole setup in one kit.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #11

Quote:
so the 12V fan is probably the answer.
Something else to consider is the venting (see this and other threads), i.e. ensuring proper convection with appropriate vent positioning and strategically placed baffles so that warm air leaving the top efficiently pulls cooler air in from the bottom.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
The Valterra fan looks good, but I just bought a 120mm 3-speed computer fan for $7, IIRC. It doesn't have the thermostat which might be useful. Here it is on the right, getting ready to replace the old free one I had been using.

I run it all the time in hot weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Refrig_Fan_2.jpg  
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #13

Ohio
Quote:
Something else to consider is the venting (see this and other threads), i.e. ensuring proper convection with appropriate vent positioning and strategically placed baffles so that warm air leaving the top efficiently pulls cooler air in from the bottom.
That's a great thread; something I'll likely follow-up on this next winter. I probably asked too many questions at once in my other posting. What about the idea of running the fan while towing? Are they normally used this way, or just while stationary?

Thanks,
Parker
Old 07-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #14

Quote:
What about the idea of running the fan while towing? Are they normally used this way, or just while stationary?
I've left them running on a few occasions while towing without any problems. Can't say whether it helps or not, though, since there are probably some random drafts being created by the moving trailer, side winds, etc. I guess it can't really hurt, especially when driving in the sun over hot road surfaces, in slow traffic, during stops, etc. and may also help when running off 12V mode which is typically less efficient than other modes.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:08 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
What about the idea of running the fan while towing? Are they normally used this way, or just while stationary?
I originally thought of using mine only while stationary.
However, I now rely on it while towing as well. My OEM fridge, a 110 volt/propane [b]2-way Instamatic by Magnavox, is 30 years old. I pre-chill it at least 24 hours (and sometimes 48 hours) on 110 volts before departing, with 40<sup>o</sup> F on the thermometer I put inside. I have the food cold before loading the fridge. I load the fridge and switch over to propane operation just before departure.

I turn the thermostat past 9 to MAX. Still, the thermometer I put inside reads 50<sup>o</sup> F when I stop for lunch. It takes a full day after arriving at a campground to get back down to 40<sup>o</sup> F.

During the trip I am on right now, by leaving the exhaust fan on while driving, the re-cool to 40<sup>o</sup> F only took until the evening stop of the 1st day on the road.

The NEXT thing I will try is to do the pre-chill on Propane, eliminating the switch-over preventing the 10<sup>o</sup> warm-up that I have to recover from.

I will still run the fan while driving from now on.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:01 AM   #16

Ohio
Great feedback from both posts! I think I'll give one a try. That will be a step in the right direction at least, before I spend more time looking at some of the ideas on the other thread. I think I may make more use of the propane option when in camp. It develops a greater temp difference to run the cycle, so it might make sense to run on propane for a while to "recover" after towing before going to 110V.

Thanks,
Parker

Tags
refrigerator