Vanguard BC built Neonex Boler Late 70's? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #1

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13
British Columbia
Vanguard BC built Neonex Boler Late 70's?

Hey Everyone,

Thanks you so much for all your help and info on my new trailer...! (Previous post "Dragged boler out of blackeberry bushes") Nice to know more about what I got. So far so good with cleaning it up, outside washed up nice, and have an ozone generator working on the inside for a few days before I get in there to tackle that. Getting a neat trailer for $500 bucks is kinda fun, but I'm sure it will have its challanges as well... First one is to try and find a cover for the driver side lower access to the fridge as it is missing. Any advice??? Also small plastic door on the passenger side is cracked, not sure what it is for... fresh water fill maybe??? Passenger side slide hinge for the front window cover is broken as well. If anyone knows where to find these part and other it would help alot. Thanks again! Kevin.

Also if anyone has this model and has some pics thatd be great, be nice to see some ideas for the interior as well!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0776.jpg   IMG_0775.jpg  

Kevin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Try this site RV Salvage/Surplus Yards (List) Updated 11/01/10 - RV Forums - myRVparks.com

Good RV repair site http://www.rverscorner.com/Site_Map.html
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
One note on the ozone generator: I'm not sure where the line is drawn, but I know that lengthy use of an ozone generator can deteriorate rubber. So... hoses, rubber window gaskets (front and rear windows), etc.

Raya

PS: I can't see which passenger side plastic piece you mean, since the photos both show the driver's side; can you post a close up/photo please?
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Kevin I posted to the BC fiberglass Eggs Facebook page asking if any of them have the same trailer if they could take a look at your post here. Hope one of them sees it. This post may want to me moved to the help section though.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #5

One note: Are we sure Vanguard was in BC? I know I linked the two, but then I thought I read later they were in one of the other western provinces. I suppose it's possible they had multiple locations.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #6

British Columbia
It does say Winfield BC on the plate on the passenger side right behind the door...
Old 11-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #7

British Columbia
Thanks Carol for posting that on facebook!
Old 11-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
One note: Are we sure Vanguard was in BC? I know I linked the two, but then I thought I read later they were in one of the other western provinces. I suppose it's possible they had multiple locations.
Raya my understanding is they were built in Kelowna BC although as Kevin has said it states Winfield which is just outside of Kelowna.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Kevin J...That Boler looks like one of the rare 15' Bolers. The tail light insets are the same as the 17' ones. It's hard to judge the length from the pic's due to the extra long window on the side but it sure looks like it cleaned up nice!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #10

Registry
Kevin is it possible that your trailer might be a 15' - the pictures you first posted made me wonder about it - then I saw this old post with some photos of a 15' that made me wonder again.
1980 15' Boler Trailer | Quesnel, BC, Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 11-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Kevin J...That Boler looks like one of the rare 15' Bolers. ........
Hehe Alf great minds think a like at the same moment!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #12

Okay, BC it is

I think the Vanguard Bolers all had a similar color scheme and those "tombstone" taillights (plus the other unique features mentioned in the other thread), so that may be making it look similar to the 15-footer.

This Boler is a 13 and not a 15, going by the photos and by what the owner said in the previous thread.

I've also seen photos of other 13-footers made by Vanguard, so this is not the only one, although they seem relatively rare.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #13

Registry
Actually Raya you are right if its a 13' it is not the only one. There are still a number of the 13' around here (B.C. where they were made) as well as some 17's. Take a look at the gallary of our past meets at https://sites.google.com/site/bcglasseggs/ Its the 15' thats a rarer sight.

It wasn't actually Kevin who indicated it was not a 15' so there is a slight chance it may be. Pictures are hard to tell from.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Kevin, your 'drug from the brambles' Boler bears a marked semblance to a Boler once used as a 'Night Guard's quarters' that was located toward the south end of Abby near/at a Skate Boarders shop !!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:33 AM   #15

British Columbia
Ya its a 13 and not a 15... From what I have read on here the 15 has a different layout. Also although it may be similar to the one used at Replay Boardshop for their night security, pretty sure this is a different Boler as the guy I bought it from indicated that it was in his family for some time. Kevin.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:38 AM   #16

British Columbia
Worked on the inside for a few hours today... It is disgusting, mice found their way into the cupboards and have been living in it for who knows how long! It was sitting in a feild so I guess the mice liked the glass egg better than a hollow log The stuff on the walls is the worst possible type of any insulation I have seen in anything from boats to cars to planes to rvs, I have no idea what Vanguard was thinking when they decided on this product. It is spongey with a deep texture that is near impossible to clean. If anyone knows what to do I would appreciate it
Old 11-05-2010, 06:03 AM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Kevin, you may be interested in reading this thread by Isaac M. He took on quite a project cleaning the interior of a Trillium... looks like he found a solution that worked for him! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ean-43009.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:02 AM   #18

One thing about Kevin's trailer though, is that the Vanguard trailers did not have Ensolite. The coating, from what I know, is some kind of an open-celled foam that was sprayed on (?). So it's much "fluffier" than Ensolite, and has more of a "popcorn" texture to the surface.

Kevin, ugh, that does not sound nice.

If the insulation is open-celled, as I suspect it might be, and there have been mice living on/in it..... well that is one of the few times I'd probably be ready to strip it out and start over. That's a bold move, for sure, so don't just run out and do it on my say-so, but.... doesn't sound good.

They do still make Ensolite, just so you know. IR Foam Specialty in Washington has it. I have had them send me samples. Also, Brad and Jenny with the "Total Boler Restoration" used it. The main difference in it compared to the usual FGRV Ensolite is that the trailer manufacturers had the companies bond a layer of "white" vinyl (or vinyl-like material) to the inside face, and that's what makes the "white" walls in our campers. What you get now is just the plain black Ensolite, and so most people paint it (doable; Brad and Jenny did that). It's a smoother texture than the traditional camper type of Ensolite, and I see that as a plus - fewer crannies to clean.

The real Ensolite is some crazy tough stuff; I'd be surprised if the "popcorn" in the Vanguard is as tough.

Project ON

Raya

PS: Thank you for confirming that your trailer is 13'

PPS: I just remembered that Roger C H posted that he knew of a source for the vinyl-coated Ensolite, but I'm not sure he identified it (I went to the link and could not find it).
Old 11-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
Kevin, your 'drug from the brambles' Boler bears a marked semblance to a Boler once used as a 'Night Guard's quarters' that was located toward the south end of Abby near/at a Skate Boarders shop !!!!
Doug is your memory working better than mine and can it come up with a name for Kevin as to who ownes the Vanguard boilers in our group?
Old 11-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #20

Trailer: Boler 1300 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
The coating, from what I know, is some kind of an open-celled foam that was sprayed on (?). So it's much "fluffier" than Ensolite, and has more of a "popcorn" texture to the surface.
I approve that.

I believe it is a bit thicker (about 3/8") than the usual ensolite); as we use the trailer at about (above and below) freezing temp, I would not want to change it for less.

What I have observed is there is no visible seams and quite a uniform thikness.... so if it is not sprayed they found a way to hide the seams REALLY welll, if it is sprayed, they had a good technique to keep the result uniform in thikness !!!!

In ours, there is a couple spot (under a window) that seems to have a had some tough treatment that the paint did not hide.

After replacing the rear window gasket (and window) my girlfdirned cleaned a patch that had some mold on it. She let it soak in a javel solution for a day before to scrub it and it went easy and nice. Now for the insulation around this patch (that also has some mold on it.... does not help with allergy and asthma....), without the possibility to let it soak we dont know how hard (for us and on it) will it be to clean it; We'll probably know this winter (Raya, I promise you to start a new thread on my project when I will start it).

GuyBou
Guy, Boulianne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler